Keeping Dogs/cats Out Of New Plants

We have a big problem with dogs and cats who trample, pee on, and poop in our newly planted landscape and around our front patio.

When the plants are established in six months to a year, they will be pretty resistant to dog urine burn. BUT...the plants keep getting damaged before they can take root, thanks to off-leash dogs whose owners just don't care, and extenda-leash dogs whose owners let them come up in our yard anyway.

Spray/shake deterrents haven't worked. A 14" temporary fence around the whole yard hasn't worked (yesterday I watched a guy let his dog hop over it and back...seriously, people! What is wrong with you?)

My idea:

Use the vinyl long-toothed carpet runner for deep pile, cut it to fit around the plants like it was a weed mat, and then bury it under a thin layer of mulch, spikes up. It wouldn't be very noticeable, it would deter dogs and cats stepping on it, and it would keep weeds at bay, to boot.

Think it will help?

Any other ideas?

Edited by DunesMom

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

PS -- I should add that we designed this front yard specifically to cut down on the nonstop problem of off-leash dogs pooping/peeing in our front yard/patio, which we use every day, by installing a stone fence 2' in from the sidewalk.

But the fence has an entryway for our house, and ends beside a giant sago palm on the other end. Dogs just go through the entry or around the end, and owners just let them, whether on or off leash. We've talked with neighbors who just leave their dogs out front, unattended and off leash, all day every day, but it hasn't stopped them, and AC doesn't respond unless there's an attack. So what I really need, is a repellent for dogs & cats when I'm not standing out there.

Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."

Motion-activated water jet, like people use to deter deer.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyHoodies

sounds like it might work. just a little deterant may work expecially if you told the neighbors about their pets and wayward ways.

Only problem I can see with the upside down vinyl carpet thingy is that it may not let enough water through. They do make a mesh version in plastic/vinyl with similar little plastic pricklies that deters cats and dogs because it just doesn't feel nice on the feet. I've also tried a couple brands of the shake-on type deterrents with no success.

I may have to do the prickly mesh thing with the front gardens. The neighbor's cats are digging it up majorly and spraying & pooping everywhere. (the 3am cat fights are fun too). ICK!

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest sheila

is there such a thing as a motion activated squawker?

I feel your pain. I once watched a man come up the street with 2 dogs on flexi leashes who allowed the dog to go right up to ppls porches and mark. When he got to my house and once again let his dogs come up into my yard and pee on my flowers I walked out and told him that I took time to make that bed look nice and I would appreciate it if he would keep his dogs out of it. He spitted and sputtered and finally said, 'Well......I can TRY......' as though it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. He was still looking back at my house and shaking his head as his dogs were in the neighbors yard digging and squatting to crap in their flowers.

Guest krystolla

What about a sign that says "Toxic pesticides applied, please keep off grass"? :colgate

Actually it sounds to me like you are looking for scat mats. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be to protect all your new plantings -- I haven't tried these myself.

Personally, I use tomato cages, wire mesh or stakes draped in deer fencing around new plantings. The urine hits the fencing rather than the plant and it helps cut down on browsing deer or clumsy critter feet as well. It isn't really a pretty solution (unless you want to invest in pretty plant supports) but it works pretty well.

Good luck.

Motion-activated water jet, like people use to deter deer.

We just ordered the ScareCrow water jet, thanks. Since it's a small front yard, it's going to be tough to set it up so that it doesn't nail passers-by, but we're trying to figure it out.

Only problem I can see with the upside down vinyl carpet thingy is that it may not let enough water through. They do make a mesh version in plastic/vinyl with similar little plastic pricklies that deters cats and dogs because it just doesn't feel nice on the feet. I've also tried a couple brands of the shake-on type deterrents with no success.

I may have to do the prickly mesh thing with the front gardens. The neighbor's cats are digging it up majorly and spraying & pooping everywhere. (the 3am cat fights are fun too). ICK!

I've used the perforated "ScatCat" mats in potted plants with success, but they'd cost a fortune for a larger area. I also ran across the Cactus Fence made in the UK, which would work on a fence top. I know buried chicken wire stops digging (put it under the mulch/on top of soil), but not soiling.

I think I'll cut the mats into random pieces, so that water can get through but an animal couldn't walk far without hitting one.

What about a sign that says "Toxic pesticides applied, please keep off grass"? :colgate

Good luck.

BRILLIANT!! :ph34r

Won't help the off-leash/no owner crew, though, and we have plenty of those. :bugeye

With the water jet, aim it at the owners too.

I like you. :devil :devil

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

In case you dont know, a deer fence is two wires hooked up to a transformer that you plug into an outlet on your house. An electric fence basically. They are used predominantely in upper-class homes (my grandparents had a few homes with these installed). They arent enough to hurt, but they do let you know they are there if you walk into them after you just got out of a pool, let me tell you!

In case you dont know, a deer fence is two wires hooked up to a transformer that you plug into an outlet on your house. An electric fence basically. They are used predominantely in upper-class homes (my grandparents had a few homes with these installed). They arent enough to hurt, but they do let you know they are there if you walk into them after you just got out of a pool, let me tell you!

ZAP! :lol (where's the icon for electric shock??)

I'd love to use the electronet fence or a deer fence or low single wire, but we're right up against a busy sidewalk on the way to the beach/park.

Though the fence would be on our property, I'm pretty sure the first time it zapped a wandering toddler, or a drunk college student, either we'd be sued or someone would rip it out and destroy a few plants for good measure.

But the scarecrow motion sprinkler came today and we're setting it up tomorrow!