Nose Issues

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles's nose is looking a bit worse for wear the past few days---redder, redness and dryness spreading up the snout. A while back I posted and asked what it could be and got some nods for discoid lupus. I guess I'm just wanting to check again and see if there's anything I should be on the lookout for or if this is just "par for the course" and I should just keep putting on calendula cream and sunscreen when we go outside.

4590641088_9c413673dd.jpg

4590020631_733d3412cf.jpg

4590640714_e11478af20.jpg

Guest Tokolos

His nose seems to look a lot better today. I may just keep an eye on it and him and give the doctor a call. The doctor has seen his nose before and didn't seem too concerned, but things change, so vigilance is a good thing.

Guest SusanP

One thing our vets have been willing to do is to try tx for discoid lupis with tetracycline and niacinimide. With our Simon, it worked quickly, so we assumed discoid lupus without a punch biopsy--I wasn't too keen on putting her through that.

This is a bad time of year for skin diseases of that nature because they are not yet used to the strong sun. Maybe apply a higher factor sun cream to stop the UV? Also, if you have an Aloe Vera plant, consider applying some of the sap direct from the base of the cut leaf to the sore places when you come back indoors.

One thing our vets have been willing to do is to try tx for discoid lupis with tetracycline and niacinimide. With our Simon, it worked quickly, so we assumed discoid lupus without a punch biopsy--I wasn't too keen on putting her through that.

:nod

That looks exactly like Pinky's nose. She has been on the treatment protocol for discoid lupus and is doing great. She takes tetracycline twice a day, niacinamide twice a day, vitamin e twice a day, and an omega 3 capsule once a day. If we are going to be outside (at a m&g, whatever), I put chapstick with SPF 15 on her nose, and she wears a hat. :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SoulsMom

Yup looks DL. Soul has not had the biopsy either because it is painful and difficult to heal) My vet and I decided to manage it with diet, supplements and lifestyle. Most of the time Soul does ok, (interestingly, its the cold temps in the winter that are hard on him and cause a flare, not the sun) DL can also affect the paw pads (they get thick and overgrown at the edges), the nails, and the skin around their eyes.

ETA: a grain free food might help the flares as well.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest snakes

My allie who i got at ( had a very pink nose. We never got it tested but i found one thing that helped was having a shallow food dish so her nose didn't rub against the bottom when she ate, that and keeping it from drying out with vaseline!