Jump to content

Dog Just Ate Ant Trap


Guest gryhnd3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest gryhnd3

He just ate ant trap, the trap is still there but quite mangled so I'm sure he got some of the inside stuff. I just put it out a few minutes ago in a closet, it's the regular Raid plastic kind. He weighs about 80 lbs.

Call emergency vet or maybe ASPCA, I thought someone had a hotline?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Swifthounds

"Animal Poison Control Center

We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card."

 

from: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

Thank you. I just called emerg vet. She said normally they are not toxic and of course his weight is on his side (though being a grey probably isn't). However, the trap is still intact, just mangled, so probably not too much ingested. She thought he would be okay since she said normally those type of traps are not toxic, but that of course I could call the hotline if I wanted to, for the charge. The emerg vet is closed today due to weather, we are having major flooding/tornado warnings, they have no electricity. I am not sure we could get off our property today and get him anywhere if we had to, (though of course we would try); our creek has completely flooded and washed out the road. When it rains, it pours :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Swifthounds

If you go to the website, there's a place where if you give them your address they will send you a free "Pet Safety Pack" which includes a magnet with the poison control number on it. A good thing to have on hand in case the electricity is off when something hairy happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Greytluv

If you go to the website, there's a place where if you give them your address they will send you a free "Pet Safety Pack" which includes a magnet with the poison control number on it. A good thing to have on hand in case the electricity is off when something hairy happens.

Thanks!

I just ordered one. Good to have on hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest greytbookert

Eric ate 2 ant traps a couple of years ago. We spent the money to call poison control line to find out that he would have had to eaten about 100 of them to have any ill effect. We were instructed to give him white bread because he did eat the plastic.

 

I'm sure your pup will be fine! I know how scary the unknown is!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

Our Bold Energy ate an ant trap once. I called the Poison Control Hotline, and based on the dog's size and the ingredients in the ant trap, they were not concerned.

 

I wouldn't make him vomit, because the plastic surrounding the trap is sharp, and could tear the esophagus and throat.

 

He should be fine. You might get some Big D, though. Good Luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

Thanks everyone! Well, considering his "output" isn't what it should be anyway, and now I altered his breakfast due to my shock at opening his bin and seeing it full of ants (which were definitely not there last night), I'm sure we are looking at some messy messes. However, since it's flooding here, it'll all get washed away :)

 

I'll examine the remainder of the ant trap again and compare it to a new one, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give him a piece of bread to be on the safe side.

 

That was hubby's thought, the ants aren't going to hurt him. I did put some food in containers in the freezer and found a few sample packages I can use for dinner, but we are probably going to try to just keep freezing it gradually, or leave the food outside and let them climb out and then get them when they are on the top of the container.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which brand was it? I've examined labels off of the commercially available ant traps, and with one notable exception (which has recently switched to a safer alternative), they're all safe- all the ones I've seen, anyway. A couple use fipronil, which is just Frontline. The Raid III ant traps have abamectin, but in such tiny quantities that dogs wouldn't be harmed.

 

Maxforce: fipronil.

Advance: abamectin.

Maxforce granular: hydramethylnon. 99% inert ingredients; animal feeding trials show some liver effects at 3 mg/kg/day.

 

Anyway- the newest generation of pesticides are remarkably safe in these quantities.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

Which brand was it? I've examined labels off of the commercially available ant traps, and with one notable exception (which has recently switched to a safer alternative), they're all safe- all the ones I've seen, anyway. A couple use fipronil, which is just Frontline. The Raid III ant traps have abamectin, but in such tiny quantities that dogs wouldn't be harmed.

 

Maxforce: fipronil.

Advance: abamectin.

Maxforce granular: hydramethylnon. 99% inert ingredients; animal feeding trials show some liver effects at 3 mg/kg/day.

 

Anyway- the newest generation of pesticides are remarkably safe in these quantities.

 

It was Raid, just basic, not extra strength or anything like that (don't know if they make more than one variety, I just know with sprays for bees, etc. there will generally be more than one "level". He seems perfectly fine :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, there's Ant Baits III (abamectin), Double Control (abamectin), and Max Double Control. Can't seem to find what Max Double Control has, but it may be abamectin. Anyway- it's fairly safe stuff for dogs.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

I just checked the box, in small print it says "Ant Baits II". I did not buy it recently so maybe they went form II to III by now? Guess I panicked for nothing, the storms had me on edge also I think. Now what I have to deal with is tons and ton of ants in the pantry. Seems to be getting worse. I've got a few traps, plus the liquid stuff, plus cornmeal (and the door shut tight!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now what I have to deal with is tons and ton of ants in the pantry. Seems to be getting worse. I've got a few traps, plus the liquid stuff, plus cornmeal (and the door shut tight!)

You need to get that stuff Carol Ann told me about. Absolutely amazing. I farted around with those ant traps to no avail then went to the professional grade stuff. My ants were all gone in 24 hours.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...