Limp Question For A Newbie

Guest cheltzey

Guest cheltzey

Earlier this week, I think that Lando stepped on a small shard of glass. I got no reaction from him; I only discovered it when I saw tiny blood spots everywhere he stepped. I couldn't see anything stuck in the wound, so I just let it be. This happened several days ago, and I've never seen any sign of a limp or licking the area. This morning, I noticed that he wasn't following me everywhere like he usually does and that he wasn't coming upstairs with me. I went to check on him, and I noticed a definite limp in that foot. When he stands, he holds it off the floor, and he limps heavily when walking short distances, especially on hard surfaces like tile. I examined it, and I couldn't see anything different about that foot than on previous days. He definitely pulled away when I touched the cut pad, though. It's an extremely small cut (like the size of a paper cut) and isn't bleeding. Should I be doing something to treat this? Is it okay to just see if the limp goes away on it's own? If there is still glass in there, will it work its way out? And should I be taking him on walks still? Thanks so much for your help! I hate to overreact, but I also don't want to miss something either.

Guest Smiley

Poor Lando. I think I would take him in to get checked-it sounds like there may be a small shard of glass still in there, especially if this happened a few days ago and he's gotten worse. Good luck!

Guest Energy11

I, too, would get this checked out. The glass, small as it is, could still be causing major discomfort, AND, infection, at this point.

Good Luck!

Guest GreyDogsRule

I think it is time for Lando to see the vet. I tend to be overcautious with our hounds, in fact we are on our vets Christmas card list :) , but the fact that Lando is clearly getting worse concerns me that something is not right.

Guest MyBoys

I also agree that a vet visit is the way to go, there could very well be a tiny piece of glass inbedded in the pad, if he is limping for sure it's hurting him and could become infected. Hoping your boy feels better real quick.

In the mean time while waiting for an appointment you can soak his foot in warm water and Epsom salts.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest cheltzey

Thanks for the advice. There's also a toenail that could be suspect (it looks cracked), so that might be what's hurting him as well. We'll be dremmeling the nails tonight to get rid of any excess nail in case that's it, and we'll try the epsom soak. We'll be seeing the vet next week because he's got digestive issues as well (poor guy!), so I'll try to wait and take him in until then. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it for any additional changes or signs of infection. I wasn't going to bandage it, because it's not still bleeding and it's quite a small cut. Is this right? Or should I go ahead and wrap it up?