Not A Greyhound, But We're Getting Desperate For Help

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

I wasn't sure whether to put this under training and behavior or health and medical, but it's more behavior than anything.

For a long time now, our GSD, Kodie has been acting so odd. She bullies the other dogs to no end (not aggressive, but not playful either), doesn't listen at all anymore, puts her teeth on everyone (not biting, but it might get to that point at this rate), she is anxious about everything and for a lack of a better word, she's psychotic. We constantly have to separate her from the other dogs and lock her away when we have visitors. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

She has had lyme disease 4 times (we live in a hot spot, no worries, we don't walk in the woods anymore) could her brain just be fried? I know a characteristic of lyme disease is behavioral issues.

We don't know what to do anymore. I have heard a lot about dogs going on Prozac. Do you think she would be a candidate?

Any other suggestions to help this awful behavior?

How old is she?

When was her last vet check (vision, hearing, CBC, urinalysis, fecal)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She needs a FULL medical work up.

And dogs DO get senile...

And there ARE medications that can help with CCD (Canine cognitive disorder = doggy senility).

It's news to me that Lyme's disease causes behavior issues; my father has had it, my sister in law has had it, and one of our dogs had it! They were all sick as heck, but no behavior issues. My brother had babesia, and he was in the hospital--now his behavior has always been a bit unruly...:rolleyes:

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindsaySF

We had a greyhound that was a bounce that had untreated Lyme disease. It caused permanent joint damage and he was in pain, which made him VERY grumpy. So there could be a correlation. I would have a full work-up and exam done at the vet to rule out any medical issues.

Some dogs are just bullies, that's their personality. I intervene and separate when necessary, that's just what happens when you have multiple dogs. Is Kodie getting older? Sometimes they get grumpier as they age.

Do you foster dogs? (I might have you confused with someone else). Some dogs get stressed with new dogs coming in and out. My Cody is not too thrilled with the greyhounds we have coming and going in this house, he gets very growly and snappy. I keep him away from new dogs for a few days until he gets acclimated to them, and even then sometimes he gets separated into his ex-pen for some alone time, he honestly prefers it there where he won't be bothered or stepped on.

As for Prozac, if Kodie's issues are anxiety-based, it might help and take the edge off. Ask your vet about it.

Good luck.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Guest MAXNAV

I wasn't sure whether to put this under training and behavior or health and medical, but it's more behavior than anything.

For a long time now, our GSD, Kodie has been acting so odd. She bullies the other dogs to no end (not aggressive, but not playful either), doesn't listen at all anymore, puts her teeth on everyone (not biting, but it might get to that point at this rate), she is anxious about everything and for a lack of a better word, she's psychotic. We constantly have to separate her from the other dogs and lock her away when we have visitors. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

She has had lyme disease 4 times (we live in a hot spot, no worries, we don't walk in the woods anymore) could her brain just be fried? I know a characteristic of lyme disease is behavioral issues.

We don't know what to do anymore. I have heard a lot about dogs going on Prozac. Do you think she would be a candidate?

Any other suggestions to help this awful behavior?

Maybe a complete blood work-up, including thyroid. Also, try contacting Steve at Northstar GSD rescue in Winchendon, MA. They are wonderful and very knoweledgeable, and have had dogs with major issues go through their rescue. Maybe they can help? Here's their link. http://www.northstargsdr.org If I remember correctly, Steve's wife is also a vet. Good luck.

Guest cogito

Oh, I feel your distress. My 11 yo GSD, Ursula, is exhibiting very similar behavior. She, too, has had recurrent Lyme. We've done all the vet checks...but she continues to act 'odd'. My vet has told me her 'weirdness' is probably a combo of her age & her Lyme's history...but that leaves me w/ an unhappy/stressed GSD and less sleep (she's worse @ night) than I need.

Sorry I can't give any useful advice; but I wanted you to know you're not alone.