Osteo Symptoms?

Patrick's arthritis flared up majorly this weekend, like never before. He's had trouble with one paw being a bit stiff for a while, but it seems like some combination of dremeling that foot (vibrations?) and the weather changes here are causing a lot of trouble.

He's gotten scared to get up, so he screams before you get him to put weight on it, won't do it. But then once he's in the yard for a few minutes he's running or at least trotting around on all four feet, and if I walk him he's very quickly so interested in the walk he's on all four feet.

How terrified should I be? :(

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greytbookert

I don't have advice but I'm sending good thoughts for the vet visit today that it is just an arthritis flare up or a soft tissue injury!

No cancer! He's going on the maximum dose of dermamax for a week, then we'll drop it down. I'm switching him to a food that's very high in omega 3s + fish oil supplements, which is supposed to help control inflamation. So in a month we will reevaluate how he's doing and see if he can come of the dermax.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest kydie

Poor pup, please keep us updated, I have an old girl(non-grey) that when her's flairs I use a rice pack, you know the kind you heat in the microwave, on it for 10 to 15 min, while I sit with her 2 times a day, usually when it is rainy and cold, doesn't happen to often,and rub it gently I also use Dasuquin with MSM I swear by the MSM in any product of choice..... good luck

No cancer! He's going on the maximum dose of dermamax for a week, then we'll drop it down. I'm switching him to a food that's very high in omega 3s + fish oil supplements, which is supposed to help control inflamation. So in a month we will reevaluate how he's doing and see if he can come of the dermax.

I would not bother changing foods; just give him Omega 3 supplements.

The potential stomach upset versus the amount of stuff they put in the food isn't really worth it.

My dog has been on Omegas since I adopted him; I buy the Grizzly salmon oil in the big old pump, and it's great stuff!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He's been taking the maximum dose of cosequine for about 6 years. Did you find any difference between the dasaquine and the cosequine?

Guest PhillyPups

:yay on NO CANCER :yay

I give mine 2 fish oil caps a day with their meals. Moe thinks they are treats. It is so cute to see her happy face when she bites the capsule and the squirt of the fish oil hits her taste buds. :lol

Guest kydie

I did, as I tried both the Dasuqin has a higher amount of MSM and I feel it worked better, I bought it on Amazon as it was a lot less than my orginal bottle from the vet, I now have the grey and the GSP on it , both over 7yrs :)

Guest bigorangedog

Something that helped Whitey when his (one) front wrist was hurting him was to smear DMSO gel all over it and lightly wrap it overnight. That really took the inflammation down. They use DMSO a lot with horses. GLAD to hear NO CANCER!