Weird Rash

Guest earlkattangrey

Guest earlkattangrey

Pardon the impolite picture :)

Any ideas what this might be? Pretty sure this all just showed up today, either way it came on pretty fast.

When do I go to the vet? Anything to try in the meantime?

He's not itchy at all. The red spots are just in this area, he is hairless on his belly and thighs but they do not extend into those areas. Some are more clearly demarcated than others.

b0d12c2e.jpg

Guest earlkattangrey

Here's a better photo

nikoncoolpix005.jpg

I would give him a benadryl wiki

Actually I was reading just today about proper dosage for benadryl because he likes to chase/bite bees, so I figured it's a good thing to have in our first aid kit.

I will give that a try, thanks!

I remember reading of a greyhound with a similar problem. In that case, it turned out to be a reaction to bug bites; the dog had been lying (or running?) in a grassy field, and some sort of biting fly-type critter got him. The spots did appear on more than just the bare sections of the dog's belly, but the bites on the bare skin showed up more clearly and looked very much like your last picture.

If it is a reaction to a bug bite, Benadryl should be very helpful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Benadryl is a good idea, but rashes can be a tricky thing. I would have the vet take a look.They can look like one thing and end up being something totally different

Good luck and please keep us posted

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greygirls2

Looks a lot like the spots my dogs get from those little biting black flies we get from late April through May.....we call them May Flies here. They are very tiny but pack a good bite and leave red "hicky"type spots just like those. I'd give the Benadryl also and you can use a little Calamine lotion on the spots. I spray my dogs with mild insect deet free spray....like Repel Lemon Eucalyptys to avoid the problem. Marigold spray used for horses works also.

Guest SoulsMom

Could be a staph infection too. I'd watch and keep him from licking it. If it gets worse it could very well be staph and he'd need antibiotics.

In case it's some sort of contact dermatitis, I would wash the area first and then apply a topical disinfectant - I like Band Aid Brand - and then give a him Benadryl. If no improvement is seen in the next 24 hrs, I would take him in for a look-see.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest earlkattangrey

I appreciate all the input. I'm going to wash it with witch hazel and give him a Benadryl. He isn't licking or scratching it. He's also been lounging in the grass almost immediately upon being turned out in the yard. I have some of the natural Eucalyptus insect repellent already that I use on them when we go hiking, so maybe I'll spray him with that in the future.

Hopefully that'll take care of it. Vet couldn't see him til Monday at best. (Always envious of those who can pop in or get seen same day, never happens for us.)