Prednisone Reaction?

I was home in CT visiting my mom earlier this week and saw her dogwalker, who also has a greyhound. He was recently being treated for what they thought was a herniated disc, or something like that, and was given prednisone. Apparently, he had a reaction to the pred and was in the hospital. As a result, he has developed diabetes, which is now being treated, and now is having some hind end difficulties with knuckling under and such. She says that her vet has given pred to many greyhounds and has never seen this kind of a reaction.

Given that this community is much larger than that vet's clientele.....has anyone here ever heard of this happening? It seems like a freak thing...he's 11 years old, I think, and I'm glad he seems to be doing okay now. She's on a schedule for checking his glucose and giving his shots.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Can someone please provide details on the link between pred and diabetes? I know that pred can cause excessive drinking, which mimics diabetes, but what can it do, permanently, to a dog's system? Can this be an immediate reaction to short-term use of pred, or is it only after long-term use.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04