Boswellia Serrata

I've been researching new joint supplements for my dogs and in the process came across a supplement that I haven't seen mentioned on this site much, Boswellia serrata. What I've read is that it's an anti-inflammatory that can help joint health/arthritis pain, but does not have the side effects on the intestinal system that NSAIDS can and therefore it can also be used to treat inflammation from IBD and other similar illnesses. If what I've read so far is true, it really sounds like a fantastic supplement that more people should know about. Here's an abstract on one study that was done on dogs (there are human studies out there too):

Dietary support with Boswellia resin in canine inflammatory joint and spinal disease.

Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2004 Feb;146(2):71-9.

An open multi-centre veterinary clinical trial, comparing conditions before and after treatment with a herbal dietary supplement consisting of a natural resin extract of Boswellia serrata, was conducted by 10 practicing veterinarians in Switzerland. This traditional plant-based supplement is known for its anti-rheumatic and anti-inflammatory properties. 29 dogs with manifestations of chronic joint and spinal disease were enrolled. Osteoarthritis and degenerative conditions were confirmed radiologically in 25 of 29 cases. The Boswellia resin extract (BSB108, product of Bogar AG) was administered with the regular food at a dose of 400 mg/10 kg body weight once daily for 6 weeks. Already after two weeks of treatment, an overall efficacy of Boswellia was evident in 71% of 24 eligible dogs. A statistically significant reduction of severity and resolution of typical clinical signs in individual animals, such as intermittent lameness, local pain and stiff gait, were reported after 6 weeks. Because quality and stability of the Boswellia resin extract were ensured, these data suggest that a standardized preparation can be recommended as a herbal dietary supplement providing symptomatic support in canine osteoarthritic disease.

I've found it difficult to find dosage info for dogs. If you go by what's mentioned in that study, my dogs (65 and 75 lbs) would get about 1200 mg/day. According to another vet who posted in a msg board, her recommended dosage is 1500mg/day for a dog that size. Another site recommended anywhere from 600-1500mg/day for an adult (human). :dunno

Has anyone used it? If so, what dosage (and brand) did you use and do you feel like it helped? Any noticeable side effects?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I can see myself taking it if it's available for humans!!

It is! I told my mom about it as she has fibromyalgia and IBD issues.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."