Urinary Leakage

Shane has urine leaking again. We treated him for two weeks with a/b and the leakage mostly stopped. It started again as soon as the a/b stopped, so we treated him with the same a/b for three more weeks. Stopped the a/b two days ago and he started leaking again yesterday. (The leaking didn't totally stop with the a/b, but it was 95% reduced.) The urine sample had looked good enough, and we didn't have it cultured.

This happened 2 years ago or so also. At that time the vet wanted to put him on whatever medicine you use when they're leaking because of old age. He was only 5! I declined to do that. I think we used an a/b for two weeks then and also started him on rehmannia since his creatinine was 2.1 and specific gravity was iffy. There was improvement in both those numbers over a few months, and the urine leakage totally stopped. Until now.

Any ideas? We have a vet appointment tomorrow, and I'd like to go in with some ideas other than putting him on that medicine, which I seem to recall has some side effects? (My vet respects the experiences that GTers share, so she also would like to hear, I'm sure, whatever you guys can suggest.)

(I'll just add that we stopped the rehmannia some months back, as he didn't seem to need it anymore. I just ordered more and started it on him again last week, but it'll probably take time to see any effect from it.) Oh yeah, and we did treat him for Babesia canis two months ago.

Many thanks,

Mary

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Two of our greys (Bonny and Darcy) have urinary incontinence. Both were around 7 y/o when it started. We've had both on low doses of Proin for about the past 1-2 years. Bonny gets 50 mg per day (she's a very big girl at 84 lbs.). Darcy gets 25 mg per day (she's 65 lbs.). It works well for them - no negative side effects either.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

If the antibiotics stop it, I'd sure do a culture and sensitivity before anything else. You'll want a CBC (bloodwork) as well to make sure all is in order there. You may not want to do a first-of-the-morning urine sample until any possible infection is cleared up.

After that, wouldn't hurt to -1- check his blood pressure, -2- reduce dietary salt, and then -3- try a radical diet change ... in that order. I suggest only because my Zema is one who can't have the incontinence meds, plus her pattern of drinking, peeing, leaking didn't quite match incontinence. She eats a very low salt, 99% meat homeprepped diet and does very well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer had that problem too last year. He took antibiotics, the UTI would go away then it would come back. Finally the vet did another type of urine test and discovered it was a bacteria like e-coli causing it and gave him another type of antibiotic and that cleared it up for good. So ask your vet to prescribe another type of antibiotic. I can't think off hand what Spencer used but a more in depth urine culture should help a lot.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I am in no way experienced with this, but I think I have read that some people put their dogs on grain free diets, and waalaa problem solved. Hopefully someone with success in this area will chime in soon...good luck!

I am in no way experienced with this, but I think I have read that some people put their dogs on grain free diets, and waalaa problem solved. Hopefully someone with success in this area will chime in soon...good luck!

Shane has been on a grain-free diet for two years.

If the antibiotics stop it, I'd sure do a culture and sensitivity before anything else. You'll want a CBC (bloodwork) as well to make sure all is in order there. You may not want to do a first-of-the-morning urine sample until any possible infection is cleared up.

After that, wouldn't hurt to -1- check his blood pressure, -2- reduce dietary salt, and then -3- try a radical diet change ... in that order. I suggest only because my Zema is one who can't have the incontinence meds, plus her pattern of drinking, peeing, leaking didn't quite match incontinence. She eats a very low salt, 99% meat homeprepped diet and does very well.

His recent bloodwork has been fine except for the creatinine at 2.1, and nobody gets excited about that in a GH, though we keep an eye on it. Why is a first-in-the-morning urine sample contraindicated if there's infection? And why is Zema, or other dogs, ineligible for incontinence meds? It'd be a big help to hear more from you about these areas! Thanks!

Spencer had that problem too last year. He took antibiotics, the UTI would go away then it would come back. Finally the vet did another type of urine test and discovered it was a bacteria like e-coli causing it and gave him another type of antibiotic and that cleared it up for good. So ask your vet to prescribe another type of antibiotic. I can't think off hand what Spencer used but a more in depth urine culture should help a lot.

Any idea what other type of urine test that was? I didn't know there was more than one kind.

I'm not 100% positive about this, but I think we did a C&S with the problem two years ago, it didn't show anything. But we gave him a/b anyway because other GTers had had the same experience (where the C&S wasn't positive but a/b treatment cleared it up). Which is not to say we won't do another C&S, but...

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Have they cultured the urine? Possibly the antibiotic just isn't killing the bacteria off, only slowing it down so when he goes off the meds it flairs up. There are more then one antibiotic to treat UTI's, he may need a stronger one.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Why is a first-in-the-morning urine sample contraindicated if there's infection? And why is Zema, or other dogs, ineligible for incontinence meds? It'd be a big help to hear more from you about these areas! Thanks!

It isn't contraindicated -- it's just, if the dog has an infection, you might get a false view of things like specific gravity, crystals, etc. So, I would try to clear any infection first, and once that's done get your first-of-the-morning to check those other things.

We haven't had good luck with C&S here either, but I would think it's worth a try in your boy's case. If it's clearing up when he's on antibiotics, that's saying something, KWIM? :)

Zema has high blood pressure. Not a good mix with incontinence meds.

BTW, for others listening in, I can feed Zema grain-free food until the cows come home and she will still leak. It isn't the grain. It's salt content (likely) + something else (definitely) that is in commercial food that causes problems for her. I tried my darnedest to figure out what it was via elimination diet but gave up. Wasn't worth it since it became clear that commercial food was the culprit. She can have a commercial vitamin -- go figure -- but not commercial food. I know she is weird and it isn't likely anyone else will have the same experience, but I mention it because incontinence meds can have pretty nasty side effects and not all dogs can take them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.