Separation Anxiety Big Problem

Guest Swarley

Guest Swarley

I read all of the posts above, and they all have good advice. But absolustely none of it worked on my dog. She could not give one hoot about the other dogs in the house. Treats don't matter because she has panic attacks when we leave. Alone training only worked when she was in her "good two week phase". Move forward to the "bad two week phase" and the training was wiped completely out of her mind. SHE was out of her mind. Could care less about the tv or radio being on, although I must admit I never tried the dap diffuser. I'm not saying don't try the above things, I'm just saying none of it worked for me. I was reluctant to try drugs, I myself do not take anything except an OTC allergy pill. Rarely take even a Tylenol. After a year and a half, I finally put her on clomipramine. She is much better. She is having a bad couple of days this week, but it is for the first time in 2 1/2 months. Previously we were in two week cycles. I am hoping she just has a couple of bad days, instead of two weeks. I have to mention that she can not be crated, that's when she panics. I muzzle her and use a baby gate. If she is not muzzled, she damages the wall where the baby gate leans. I'll also mention that they are not left alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

So sorry you are going through this, and all of the above things might help you. I also think you must speak to your neighbors, and check in with your group. Sorry to say, your pup might not be able to be an "only" dog. Sorry to be such a bummer :(

We went to the vet and decided to try clomipramine. He's only had half a pill so far as we started this morning. How long did it take before your dog was actively showing signs of improvement?

I've been doing alone training with him all day today and he seems to be quiet until the 10 minute mark. Not very reassuring as that's where he started...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 4dogscrazy

I read all of the posts above, and they all have good advice. But absolustely none of it worked on my dog. She could not give one hoot about the other dogs in the house. Treats don't matter because she has panic attacks when we leave. Alone training only worked when she was in her "good two week phase". Move forward to the "bad two week phase" and the training was wiped completely out of her mind. SHE was out of her mind. Could care less about the tv or radio being on, although I must admit I never tried the dap diffuser. I'm not saying don't try the above things, I'm just saying none of it worked for me. I was reluctant to try drugs, I myself do not take anything except an OTC allergy pill. Rarely take even a Tylenol. After a year and a half, I finally put her on clomipramine. She is much better. She is having a bad couple of days this week, but it is for the first time in 2 1/2 months. Previously we were in two week cycles. I am hoping she just has a couple of bad days, instead of two weeks. I have to mention that she can not be crated, that's when she panics. I muzzle her and use a baby gate. If she is not muzzled, she damages the wall where the baby gate leans. I'll also mention that they are not left alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

So sorry you are going through this, and all of the above things might help you. I also think you must speak to your neighbors, and check in with your group. Sorry to say, your pup might not be able to be an "only" dog. Sorry to be such a bummer :(

We went to the vet and decided to try clomipramine. He's only had half a pill so far as we started this morning. How long did it take before your dog was actively showing signs of improvement?

I've been doing alone training with him all day today and he seems to be quiet until the 10 minute mark. Not very reassuring as that's where he started...

Bummer, seriously. :( Well, she seemed much calmer almost within a day or two. But she takes two pills twice a day. Not sure of the exact dosage, but I could check if you like. This also coincided with a good two week phase, so we started her out when she was feeling well. Tempe seems to be set off by changes, although sometimes we couldn't figure out what set her off. I spent a lot of time trying to figure her out! This last episode was caused by changes in our schedule, my daughter started softball again, so I am running around a bit more at night. It did only last a couple of days this time, she is calm again. Mine goes potty on the carpet, or if I gate her she destroys the wall where the gate leans. So sometimes I don't use the gate, but she is always muzzled when I leave. I do think she probably whines and barks, but I live in a house that is not close to any neighbors, so that hasn't been an issue. I need to video tape them!

This is just my opinion, but the more running in and out I do, the more upset she gets. She likes routine, and is usually fine when I stick to a normal schedule. Alone training would put her right over the edge! Don't.understand.coming.and.going.mom.I'm.confused...I can see it now! Must chew gate...poop right here...

Have you read the book "I'll be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell? It's only about 40 pages and $7...and is EXCELLENT. Includes a training schedule that lasts about 6-8 weeks for most dogs. In the book, she talks about it may take a few weeks just to get through the first few minutes, but once they make a break-through the increasing of time can go pretty quickly. Don't get discouraged!

I hope you will continue with the Alone Training in addition to the medication, so that you can eventually ween him off of it.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest iluvmyelement

We had to deal with MASSIVE seperation anxiety issues with our dog Luke. The trick that eventually worked for us (although it did take 3-4 weeks to fully work) was to give him a frozen marrow bone from the butcher as a treat for going into the crate. We would only leave for the period of time that it would take for him to enjoy it (usually 20 minutes). He was never allowed to enjoy a bone anywhere but inside the crate - that was the rule we set. Pretty soon - he started going into the crate and hanging out in there all on his own during the day (with the door open while we were home). We started extending the period of time we were away slowly. (At first he would be anxious and cry after he worked the bone - but that went away within a couple more weeks) After a month we didn't have to give a bone at all (but we did still give treats to make it enjoyable for Luke). It was a slow process - but it did work out in the end when I thought there was no hope. It's hard to do when you have to work or be away longer and don't have several weeks to slowly work into this.

Edited by iluvmyelement

Guest rachel2025

Hello there,

So sorry to hear about your problem! Sounds like you are getting lots of good (if conflicting) advice on the board.

When adopted Pike about 1.5 years ago (he'd been returned by his first owner because of his separation anxiety... he was a howler and would destroy the house if left outside of his crate, even muzzled!). He now goes calmly to his crate when we leave and is NEVER barking when we return, so I want you to know there is definitely hope!

The crate is a polarizing issue on this board. Some people hate it, but I really think it depends on the dog. They live in kennels their entire lives before you adopt them... Our Pike demonstrated himself to be calmer and happier in his crate than outside of it with a muzzle.

First of all, I agree with the Tennessee poster getting flack that you should not let your dog out of his crate (or come inside if you have left him out of his crate), until you hear that he has quieted down. The reason for this is that coming home and/or letting them out of their crate when they are barking positively reinforces their upset behavior. Same with waiting a bit until after you've come home to greet them -- if you greet them immediately, it reinforces the excitement of your return. I believe that even Patricia McConnell gives this advice in her book, though it's been a while since I read it. You want to make your coming and going so commonplace and boring that he doesn't even bother getting up from where he's sitting when you get your keys to leave or come home. ;)

Here are a couple of options to try that haven't yet been suggested.

1. As a stop-gap measure, have you considered taking him to doggie daycare for a month or two while you are gone for long periods of time (or leaving him at a friend's house)? Then, you could really focus on intense alone-training in the evenings and weekends, without having to worry about getting kicked out of your apartment. I know dog daycare is expensive, but it's probably worth the peace of mind for a bit. SA is just not a problem that gets fixed overnight. It takes time.

2.Pike (and me and DH) really benefited from a dog training class, which we took over several weeks. It focused on positive reinforcement using clicker training. We learned a TON about doggie behavior and it helped us bond with Pike/Pike begin to trust us and feel more secure.

3. We used the positive clicker training to make his crate a WONDERFUL place to be. We randomly hid treats in his crate for him to find, clicked and treated whenever he went near it, then upped the ante to clicking and treating when he went inside, and finally upped it to clicking and treating when he would go inside and lie down

4. Routine. After a few months, Pike was perfectly comfortable being left home when we went to work, but would freak out if we left him alone to go out to dinner in the evening, or some other event.

5. We had a MAJOR improvement when we moved Pike's crate to right below a window... I'd read dogs liked to be more closed in and secure, like a burrow, but turns out Pike likes the light and looking out during the day.

7. I'll repeat everybody else's idea of exercise, exercise, exercise followed by alone training. Tire that guy out and he'll have less energy for barking!

I know this is hard to believe, but the fact that he is only barking and not chewing/messing means he has lots of hopes for overcoming his SA. And it'll probably take several days for the anti-anxiety drugs to kick in, so don't expect immediate change. Best of luck in solving the problem... hope the meds make a huge and quick improvement.

Cheers,

rachel

Guest 4baddogs

I haven’t read all of the replies so forgive me if this is a repeat suggestion.

Zoe was the QUEEN of S.A. and a major force of destruction. Unbelievable and nothing like we’d seen before –she loved antique books, anything leather and electronics. We tried everything for 7 months until we were at our wits end. At the time ( 11 years or so ago) Clomicalm had just been new on the market. My sister is a vet and suggested we try it on Zoe. She warned it may not work, but we figured we had nothing to lose. In less than 3 weeks, she was completely cured! However, up until the day she died, she would still get a panicked look on her face whenever I would get ready to leave the house. One of our other greys, Nate, had S.A. but he didn’t destroy things – he literally wailed like a little baby when I left him. It was pathetic! He also peed all over the place when he got upset. Again, it was Clomicalm to the rescue and it did the trick.

I hope you find something that works for you because it’s so sad when they’re sad.