Toe Problem - What Is It?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi,

Just got back from the vet with Haka-- they should give frequent visit miles or something...

We noticed his toe, around the nail, was really red. Not pus-y, doesn't seem to hurt him, and he's walking fine. Not sure if he's even licking it.

I think (vet agrees) since he's been running around, maybe some debris got shoved up in there? Can't see much though.

Treatment-- we're supposed to soak it 2x a day in epsom salts, and I can clean it with Hexadene shampoo I have. He's also on antibiotics (zeniquin) 1x a day until the pills are gone (about a week I think).

Any other ideas?

hakatoe.jpg

Edited by sorenkkg

Never seen a nail bed infection before but that would be my first guess from looking at the picture. Hopefully the treatment will get things back to normal quickly. Glad it doesn't seem to be bothering Haka.

Guest KennelMom

yeah, i'd guess some debris in the nail bed. It's where'd I'd start (seen a similar situation in my own pack in the past). Your treatment plan sounds reasonable...good luck! :)

Yup, Turbo got a nail bed infection that looked exactly like that. He healed up from it just fine. It was years ago now, so I can't remember what the vet gave me for it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest sorenkkg

Ok, cool.

I figured out a new way to soak his foot-- instead of a jug like we've done in the past, but then he has to stand there-- I mixed up the Epsom salts and poured them into a large zip top bag! colgate.gif

then, while he was laying down (you know, the natural position for a retired racing greyhound rolleyes.gif ) I sat beside him and slipped his paw into the bag, and pulled it around his wrist so the water came up over his toes, and there you go!

Relaxed, for 10 minutes, no nose dripping-- I think he thought it was massage and manicure night huh.gif (silly dog, those are on Mondays... :lol)

Guest 2greygirls

Racers can get sand pushed up under the cuticle after running..we used to wash all racers feet and give them a squirt of Hydrogen peroxide after each race..to get any debris out.. but that is probably what you have going on here, especially if he's been running hard in dirt or sand. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Guest Energy11

Yes, looks like an infected nail bed. I'd definitely soak it in Epsom Salts, but, it might need a script, like Keflex.

Good Luck! Poor baby!

Guest sorenkkg

Yes, looks like an infected nail bed. I'd definitely soak it in Epsom Salts, but, it might need a script, like Keflex.

Good Luck! Poor baby!

He's on Zeniquin (Marbofloxacin) for 14 days in addition to the soaking... so far, it's not upsetting his tummy or anything, and he actually seems to LOVE the Greenies Pill Pockets I'm putting the pills in-- which is great, b/c he doesn't eat most treats tongue.gif

Question-- would this require any kind of invasive action? Like, something to drain the infection? I'm not seeing any pus or anything, and it's pretty firm if you push on it (which he's not a fan of me doing...).

I guess I should just do the treatments and see what happens right? Just wondering...

Thanks,

S.

Edited by sorenkkg

Good Luck! Poor baby!

He's on Zeniquin (Marbofloxacin) for 14 days in addition to the soaking... so far, it's not upsetting his tummy or anything, and he actually seems to LOVE the Greenies Pill Pockets I'm putting the pills in-- which is great, b/c he doesn't eat most treats tongue.gif

Question-- would this require any kind of invasive action? Like, something to drain the infection? I'm not seeing any pus or anything, and it's pretty firm if you push on it (which he's not a fan of me doing...).

I guess I should just do the treatments and see what happens right? Just wondering...

Thanks,

S.

Probably not as long as the antibiotics are the right ones for the bacteria causing the infection. Most antibiotics are broad spectrum meaning they cover a lot of bugs but certain bacteria have become resistant to some meds. If after the meds are gone and there is no improvement or if he gets worse while on the meds, it may have to be opened and cultured to get the right specialized antibiotic. I'd say 90+% go away on broad spectrum abx without any invasive action. Soaking in warm water will bring blood to the area which brings white blood cells to the area and those are the infection fighters. it also carries the antibiotics in the blood stream directly to the area.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Energy11

Good Luck! Poor baby!

Hopefully, the antbiotics will know out any infections he has. Sending him hugs! Glad the Pill Pockets work for him! :-))

Thanks,

S.

Probably not as long as the antibiotics are the right ones for the bacteria causing the infection. Most antibiotics are broad spectrum meaning they cover a lot of bugs but certain bacteria have become resistant to some meds. If after the meds are gone and there is no improvement or if he gets worse while on the meds, it may have to be opened and cultured to get the right specialized antibiotic. I'd say 90+% go away on broad spectrum abx without any invasive action. Soaking in warm water will bring blood to the area which brings white blood cells to the area and those are the infection fighters. it also carries the antibiotics in the blood stream directly to the area.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Have to agree with all the above :)

Treatment plan is spot on IMHO as well.

There is also something else you can try. It's a Poultice and it's called numotizine

It will help to draw out whatever foreign object that might be jammed in under the nail bed.

But just know, Numotizine is STINKY STUFF!! You don't want to get it on your hands or they will smell like that stuff for days. No joke :D

Guest sorenkkg

an update: We're going to the vet today 4:15pm eastern time-- it's been a week of soaking, antibiotics, and I'm not seeing any progress. The area is sort of red/purple now, and it bleeds if he licks at it. I guess there's blood in the area so that's sort of good, but it is NOT looking normal like his other toes.

sigh.

On the bright side, we're seeing the vet who we always get for his orthopedic problems-- the last vet was new, so I was willing to give her a try, but our Dr. Montgomery is well aware of his toe-foot-leg issues, and always checks him even if we're there for his ear or whatever else.

So I have confidence in her.

Anything you can think of we should ask? I was wondering if there is something they can sample to see what the infection is and target it with the right meds, but can you do a draw from a nail bed? unsure.gif

S.

Guest sorenkkg

Back from the vet-- she wants us to continue on the antibiotics and soaking the foot, and added Surolan to his toe and I either have to put a satellite collar on him, or bandage the foot every day :(

I'm going for a combo-- I'll put the surolan on with a sock while I'm around to supervise (sock sprayed with bitter apple) and e-collar when we're out.

She took pictures, and we made an appt to see this same vet next week for a check.

She wants to maybe do a biopsy and an xray also, but I'm holding off on those for now...

sigh...

all this for a toe? unbelievable, yet here we are.

My Plummer has had this nail bed infection for years. His spread too other toes. Plummer had a biopsy last week and nothing outstanding to speak of. He was on Zeniquin also, very expensive. He is now on another antibiotic and vet wants him to have a thyroid panel done.

I has been a puzzlement.

Guest sorenkkg

My Plummer has had this nail bed infection for years. His spread too other toes. Plummer had a biopsy last week and nothing outstanding to speak of. He was on Zeniquin also, very expensive. He is now on another antibiotic and vet wants him to have a thyroid panel done.

I has been a puzzlement.

Oy.

So they weren't able to find the cause of the infection? I would hope if they did the test, they would find the bacteria and tailor the antibiotic to it... I'm hoping that the new "no licking" policy helps -- I know the other year when he got a cut on his knee, having the satellite dish on, even for a bit, helped enormously... why do they lick if it doesn't help heal? Good job Mother Nature-- not mad.gif

We left him in the collar for a couple hours tonight and managed to go out and have dinner and a drink (we're also having our foundation fixed on one side of the house, so it's been a stressful week...) and he seemed ok when we got home.

We took it off b/c he was just hanging out with us, so we could make sure he didn't lick.

Just did the 10pm walk (ok, 11pm, they're flexible) and then the 10min epsom soak. Dried the paw, applied some Surolan, and on with a sock. After he eats, we'll put the collar on and hope he's ok for the night unsure.gif

I also hope the collar is long enough so that he can't lick his paw-- I think it's the biggest one the vet had! Here's hoping...

Biopsy has concluded a bacterial infect. but fungi not conclusive yet. My vet is searching. Plummer is on Clavmox for his dental and seems to be helping toes.

We tried the collar and he flipped. I put his racing muzzle on and taped some areas so he couldn't lick- he wears socks consistently. Did u get the Zeniquin from your vet? I sent away to Canada as Zeniquin was prescribed for 6 weeks previously-not much of a help.

Thyroid panel is Monday so we will see. I will keep posted. Please let me know how u do.

Guest sorenkkg

Haka did ok on the e-collar last night-- I take it off and just keep on the sock whenever I'm around to supervise.

He did sort of scare himself when he tried to go up the stairs last night-- he bangs the collar into the 2nd or 3rd stair and doesn't know to lift his head up, so he bounces off the stairs blink.gif and tries and tries, and gets sort of freaked out.

So I went down, took it off, he ran up the stairs, and I put it back on. He likes to sleep on the landing outside our room, and he did settle down even though DH was worries about him.

Seems he can go DOWN stairs with the e-collar on just fine though rolleyes.gif

Sock wasn't wet today when DH got up, or when I got up a little later... I'm going to walk him now and feed, then collar him up when we go out tonight. We do the soaking around 10pm so we'll check progress then.

re: Zeniquin-- yes, I got it from the vet, we got a 14 day supply initially, will be done on Wednesday (1.5 pills, 1x daily). I've only had to go to the human pharmacy 1x for him, when he was on an anti-fungal when we thought he had ringworm-- the pills cost $300 and it turned out it wasn't ringworm afterall! angryfire.gif false positive from a fungal dna test. But anyway... I didn't notice the charge for the pills this time (we were doing blood tests for heartworm and wellness, and I was buying their Revolution for the season), but I'll look into it.

Guest sorenkkg

Update on Haka-- with all the upset around Aleeya's eye situation, poor Haka's toe is not getting him the attention he deserves (but the toe is getting plenty of attention, never fear).

We saw the vet yesterday to check it out, and now that he's not licking it, he's doing much better.

Still puffed out and red/purple-ish, but the ulcers/bleeding have pretty much healed up.

The vet did NOT want to do a biopsy or xray yesterday-- she just said keep doing what we're doing for another 10 days and we'll re-check him.

So-- we're still on the zeniquin 1.5 pills 1x a day. Soaking his paw 10 minutes 1x a day in Epsom salts. She suggested we put the Surolan on it 2x a day though instead of just 1x.

He's being so good about not licking it through the sock, we leave him without the collar most of the time, and last night for the first time.

of course, I am soaking the sock with lots of "bitter apple" spray, so maybe that's helping.

So, he's holding steady, and I can go back to worrying about Aleeya's eyes... unsure.gif

S.

Glad he is improving! Fingers crossed on full healing soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sorenkkg

Update: Saw the vet for Haka's toe on Friday...

she spent a lot of time looking at it, from all angles-- the skin is healed from the ulcerations he caused by licking, but it's still RED and swollen. I think the bump under the skin (where it should be smooth, leading into the nail) is somewhat reduced, but I agree it's not really "better" than it was last week.

So, new course of action-- no more zeniquin (antibiotic) since it didn't do much.

Now we're thinking it might be fungal. unsure.gif I'm not super happy of course, b/c we went through some fungal issues with him last year (thought he had ringworm, and it now seems he really didn't...)

So-- he's getting meloxicam for anti-inflammatory 1x a day, see if we can bring the swelling down. We're still soaking in Epsom salt water, then he's getting the nail/toe sprayed with antifungal solution of Imaverol (I think only available here in Canada for this purpose), and then we apply Surolan to the nail and toe and try to cram it in if we can. I try to do the spray and surolan 2x a day.

I still just put a sock on it and spray it with Bitter apple, and she was like-- how do you know he's not licking it at all? blink.gif And I said-- b/c the sock would be really really wet, and it's not, ever. Also, I think he pukes if he tries to lick the bitter apple stuff...

so, we're going to do this for 2 weeks, and see what happens.

I'm thinking-- if it is fungal, maybe a foot fungus cream would be better (might stick to the toe more) than the Surolan? Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
Guest sorenkkg

Update :)

He's ALL BETTER!

Has been for a while, but we went to the vet today for yearly shots and Aleeya's bloodwork (see other post) and I made sure to schedule this visit with our "ortho" vet, the one who always see's Haka's paw issues.

His cuticle is like 98% smooth-- there's maybe a bit of stuff in there still, but NOTHING like it was in that first picture! You can run your finger from his knuckle to the nail and not run into a big old weird bump.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, several hundred dollars, hours of soaking, many socks being worn and washed-- later rolleyes.gif