What To Do About Eating Her Own Poop?

My 2-year-old female hound has been eating her own poop lately. Yuck! I'm home all day with her and usually see her poop and clean it up before she can get to it, but sometimes she eats it before I notice it. She's my only pet so I don't muzzle her in her own yard. What do other hound owners do about this habit?

Guest paulownedbyfour

Muzzle with poop guard at least when you are not in bag length training take a little time but have been able to wean fosters of the poop guard in time

Guest greytloves

What you are already doing - Scoop the poop. Don't bother with all those additives you can buy. Been there and done that!

Muzzle with poop guard and a daily scooping of the yard.

Edited by greytloves

I once saw on "It's Me of the Dog" Victoria used that fresh pineapple saying it gives the poop a bad flavor/smell. Of course, it also depends on whether your girl will eat the pineapple and it doesn't upset her stomach.

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Instead of buying a poop guard, just take some duct tape and tape off the bottom 3/4 of the muzzle, and put it on her whenever she goes out. Problem solved. I have multiple hounds and the only hound that wears a muzzle outside is the poop eater.

Pineapple juice with her meals. Works here.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sheila

Pick up the poop immediately, muzzle her with a stool guard, or follow the dentists recommendation and brush after ever *meal*. It's one of those 'pick your poison' things.