Lure Coursing

Guest redfeather2006

Guest cheltzey

So what exactly should you be doing to get your dog in coursing condition? I walk Lando 2x for a few miles each day, and I jog with him 3-4x each week. We just got him, so he's not up to longer distances, but he just jogged with me for 1.75 miles on Monday and did pretty well. Where do you take them so they can run full-out? And how do you encourage them to do that? He's an "only dog," so he doesn't have sibs to chase around. He's also new, so he hasn't figured out balls yet. Any tips? I'm pretty sure that there are no lure coursing events within a reasonable distance of us (New Mexico is massive and sparsely populated), but I'd love to get him in great shape.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

So what exactly should you be doing to get your dog in coursing condition? I walk Lando 2x for a few miles each day, and I jog with him 3-4x each week. We just got him, so he's not up to longer distances, but he just jogged with me for 1.75 miles on Monday and did pretty well. Where do you take them so they can run full-out? And how do you encourage them to do that? He's an "only dog," so he doesn't have sibs to chase around. He's also new, so he hasn't figured out balls yet. Any tips? I'm pretty sure that there are no lure coursing events within a reasonable distance of us (New Mexico is massive and sparsely populated), but I'd love to get him in great shape.

You're off to a great start, with the jogging especially. :) Some people suggest "road work" which can be having the dog run alongside a bicycle, or driving slowly in a car/truck and having the dog trot alongside. There really aren't any places for me to do that, but I take the dogs on long walks.

They do run and play in the yard, but to encourage hard running and muscle work I bought a lure pole. The dogs go crazy for the lure pole! We can only run that for a few minutes though, before the dogs are ready to drop from the exertion. (I firmly believe Teagan and Rogan would run themselves to death). None of my Greys are interested in balls, so lure pole it is.

~Lindsay~

Guest IrishGH

Walking & jogging :walk is good for the hounds, we also use a hand held tennis ball chucker to sprint our a few times a week. :gh_run2

Not sure where you live in NM but there will be a weekend of oval racing in Mountianair NM 6-19/20. It's a short course only 285 meters (about 300yds), 3 program, that means the hounds run three times. It a greyt way to meet some of the GH folks in NM. :D

NOTRA

Pat

What do you put at the end of the lure pole that gets them so crazy? I bought one (well a lunge whip for horse training, suggested on GT) and have tried both a stuffie and a white plastic bag. So far neither has gotten Beth's attention for more than a second or two. Last night she was like "stop swinging that thing in my face" and then took off and did her usual zoomies on her own. (She couldn't care less about balls either.) And exactly how do you move the lure for best results? I have a bad knee and really can't run with it.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest KennelMom

Lure poles can be tricky because they don't really let the dog "open up" and run/make turns at speed. I use ours rarely. If a dog doesn't chase it, it's just not something I really mess with...esp if they'll do zoomies on their own. With my girl Echo, all I have to do is take her out to the yard and say "get the bunny!"...toss a stuffy in the air and she's off like a rocket. In the last year, our lure pole has gotten the most use with the puppies that were here and our old gal Quilty who loves to chase it and she's slow enough that I can run and keep up with her :lol

Getting one dog to run in an open field can be a challenge...what we've done is get a squawker, wait for the dog to be far a way from you and squawk it (or call them back to you). Most will run like the dickens. Or tossing a ball back and forth between two people...but, usually I need more than one dog to really get them to run. Many of them just don't see the purpose in running if they can't race or chase.

eta: One thing I've found pretty much every dog will chase at the end of a lure pole is a real coyote tail (or other REAL animal pelt). I buy them from a gal who goes lure coursing but you can also find them on ebay.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest LindsaySF

What do you put at the end of the lure pole that gets them so crazy? I bought one (well a lunge whip for horse training, suggested on GT) and have tried both a stuffie and a white plastic bag. So far neither has gotten Beth's attention for more than a second or two. Last night she was like "stop swinging that thing in my face" and then took off and did her usual zoomies on her own. (She couldn't care less about balls either.) And exactly how do you move the lure for best results? I have a bad knee and really can't run with it.

I bought fox tails to go on the end. Things with real fur usually get them more excited than stuffies. My guys go nuts for the fox tails, and don't care so much about stuffed toys. Here is where I got mine: http://www.gazehound..._Real-Fur-Lures

I usually don't run or move much to get the lure going, I'm afraid that the dogs will collide with me (which has happened!). I swing the lure back and forth or go in circles for a while, then change direction, the dogs tend to run around me instead of alongside me. The lure pole I have has a pretty long rope and that helps.

Like Heather says, if you have a decent sized fenced area most dogs will come running for a squawker. I also play keep away and fetch with fox tails, those they will play with. (My guys wear kennel muzzles though when we play, mostly to protect the lure from getting ripped to shreds, and also to prevent nipping of each other).

~Lindsay~

Guest cheltzey

Walking & jogging :walk is good for the hounds, we also use a hand held tennis ball chucker to sprint our a few times a week. :gh_run2

Not sure where you live in NM but there will be a weekend of oval racing in Mountianair NM 6-19/20. It's a short course only 285 meters (about 300yds), 3 program, that means the hounds run three times. It a greyt way to meet some of the GH folks in NM. :D

NOTRA

Pat

Thanks so much for this info! If I can get Lando in shape by then, we'd love to do it. Can you do only one day of a racing weekend? Or do you need to be there for both days if you're going to participate?

Thanks! Yes, I can imagine that fur would be rather more alluring (though those tails on the site make me feel pretty sad) ... I remember taking Beth to an event where a bunch of kids had real fur tail-like things from some booth and she was veeery interested! I'm glad her lack of interest in chasing a plastic bag doesn't mean she's going to wash out at coursing.

Does playing with a squawker at all lessen its effectiveness if you ever need to use one in an emergency -- do they habituate to it and become less excited by it?

Fortunately Beth is pretty willing to run on her own. I feel like I've seen her run as hard solo as with other dogs, and probably for more extended times. And she almost always chooses to run patterns with lots of sharp turns. She did quite a lengthy run at the park this morning after her Doberman friends left (and got mud all up her hoohoo in a way I've never seen before! :P ).

Edited by PrairieProf

I'm planning to take Beth to a lure coursing event to do a practice run on May 8! I met the president of the state coursing association this weekend and she was very encouraging. I'm excited and nervous! Beth loves to zig and zag and weave while running, so I think she might have some aptitude. I'm concerned about the conditioning aspect though Beth is within a pound or so of her racing weight and reasonably fit (frequent runs and daily brisk walks), but it will be just one 650 yard run that we do so I think that's probably OK. She just turned four and has two littermates who are still racing. I'm glad to know about the book, will get it if we decide it's something we're going to continue with -- I've been reading this thread and lots of online info.

Since you are in IA, there is an AKC lure-coursing event in Des Moines June 19. I can send you the premium list, if you want it.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I think I have to leave for a few weeks in NY by then, but I'd be interested in seeing the premium list ... are there any later in the season there? Do you have to get your grey AKC listed to attend? I'm going to an ASFA event in Ames.

Guest KennelMom

I'm pretty sure that's who I buy from :lol small world...I didn't know she had a website!

Does playing with a squawker at all lessen its effectiveness if you ever need to use one in an emergency -- do they habituate to it and become less excited by it?

Yeah...that can happen. Some dogs never de-sensitize to it (or just need a day away from it to get jazzed about the sound)...You can play it by ear. I think, as long as hauling butt towards the sound of a squawker results in something awesome happening (like getting a treat, praise or a coyote tail to play with) they'll probably always want to run towards it.

Guest LindsaySF

Yeah I got my stuff at a race meet, but she gave me a business card I think. :D She also advertises on the Coursing list sometimes.

Guest KennelMom

I think I have to leave for a few weeks in NY by then, but I'd be interested in seeing the premium list ... are there any later in the season there? Do you have to get your grey AKC listed to attend? I'm going to an ASFA event in Ames.

You'll need to get an ILP number from the AKC. They have all the info on their site - basically fill out form and send them a pics and a check.

Guest IrishGH
Thanks so much for this info! If I can get Lando in shape by then, we'd love to do it. Can you do only one day of a racing weekend? Or do you need to be there for both days if you're going to participate?

You can go either day, also your hound doesn't have to run all three programs. I would suggest evaluate your hound's condition after each run, if you feel he's had enought scratch him. ie pull him from competition. It's not a problem. I've race mine in NOTRA in many places and found good people willing to help a "newbie". You will need a muzzle for your GH to run, a kennel muzzle is OK; racing blankets,,,, most club have a few loaners for new competitors.

It's "Greyt" fun !!!!!! :colgate

Pat

I can definitely get it to you! But I need your email address (or if you want to email me, I am sighthounds4me@gmail.com). I can't get the attachment to save, so I can forward it without the original email.

I believe you would have to have an ILP (or whatever they call it now) on your Greyhound to do the AKC events; forgive me, I don't think about it, because my 'zoi are all AKC registered, and thus would be eligible (they are the ones I would course). But you do not have to pre-enter like for conformation/obedience events. You can enter on the date of the event, by a certain time in the morning. You would, however, pay a higher entry fee.

I do not know if there are any later in the season...I am new to this myself! ;)

I am not able to attend, but may send my puppy with his breeder. He needs a JC! :lol

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

So I got my fox tail and tried it on the lure pole this afternoon . . . whoa, mama!!! Beth went nuts chasing it. The energy is almost too intense, really -- she runs so fast in such a small radius and then overshoots when I stop moving it and tries to pivot and leap back -- I think she could hurt herself pretty easily playing with it, more than just running. And then she grabbed the tail through her muzzle and tried to run with it, so I was worried about the string tangling on her legs. I don't think I'll use it too often, but it's great to know I've got a way to incite her to some intense exercise quickly.

I think it's Nancy (gazehund) who had a really great lure pole idea -- sew a piece of velcro hook to the end of your rope. Use the velcro to attach fuzzy toy. That way, if dog grabs it, toy comes free, no tangling.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

The fox tails I bought came with a little metal chain loop on the end (like they have on key chains). It makes for easy switching between tails, and if the dog pulls hard it will come loose from the rope.

Beth absolutely rocked her first lure-coursing experience today! Total focus, speed, and agility from start to finish -- brought tears to my eyes. Had it been a competitive run she would have scored high, I'm pretty sure. Everyone was congratulating me and telling me how great she did, how good her form was, that I have a natural lure-courser and should get ready to spend a bunch of weekends at ASFA events :rolleyes: .

What was a little nerve-wracking was at the end of the run, she was very unexcited by the plastic bag lures and decided to trot off across the open field to explore and track, and catching her was a little interesting -- fortunately she decided to run back along the fenceline towards people and someone was able to grab her. She was also by far the most sociable dog at the trial (and the only greyhound there, which felt odd -- I joked that she was really a Whippet but we'd put Miracle-Gro in her water dish!), and she made a lot of friends/fans -- I think 75% of the people attending petted her, many multiple times. I really liked the sighthound folks and felt very welcomed by them. And the professional photographer there showed me the amazing shots he got of her running -- I can't wait to purchase them.

Edited by PrairieProf

Glad you and Beth had a good experience! I too can't wait to see the pics you get!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

Woot! I'm glad you and Beth had a great time and a safe run! You MUST post the pictures when you get them! (I think I've spent as much buying pics as I have attending field trials :lol )