Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Guest ellieb

Guest ellieb

My vet has recommended a joint supplement for Indigo. I looked up Dasuquin. I received a sample of Hill's Science Diet Mobility treats in the mail. I have seen Zuke's Hip Action treats.

Too much info! What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Ellie & the hounds

In food, is not going to do much of anything. You need the pure stuff. You can get it at www.greyhoundgang.com

Claudia is very helpful and will advise you. It's 100 % pure and all proceeds go to help the hounds. Win Win for all!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've had good luck with Dasuquin. Raven's on it, and it has really helped with the arthritis in her hips. She's gone from bunny-hopping around the yard to barely limping at all.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

In food, is not going to do much of anything. You need the pure stuff. You can get it at www.greyhoundgang.com

Claudia is very helpful and will advise you. It's 100 % pure and all proceeds go to help the hounds. Win Win for all!

Wholeheartedly seconding this. They are better quality products at a better price and they benefit greyhound adoption to boot!

Guest Energy11

I've had good luck with Dasuquin. Raven's on it, and it has really helped with the arthritis in her hips. She's gone from bunny-hopping around the yard to barely limping at all.

I NEVER, EVER thought there was much difference in these supplements, ... UNTIL the vet gave me Dasequin for Goldie. WOWEEEEEEEEE! SUCH a difference in her arthritis, she is off Deramaxx! Too bad it is sooooooooooooooooo expensive! The pet insurance covered the Deramaxx, but not the Dasequin! ... EVEN though both were vet scripts :-(((

Guest Greytluv

I use Get-Up-And-Go from Greyhound Gang, too. My acupuncturist told me to look into Dasequin. Is it pills you give? Or shots? And how often?

I use Get-Up-And-Go from Greyhound Gang, too. My acupuncturist told me to look into Dasequin. Is it pills you give? Or shots? And how often?

Dasuquin comes in chewable tablets. Raven doesn't like them enough to eat them plain, but she'll take them if I drop them into her food.

The first two weeks you give a double dose (two tablets) once daily. After that initial loading period it drops to 1 tablet daily. You can give a double dose again if you're anticipating a situation that might aggravate their joints, such as a fun run, hiking trip, etc. I noticed a very dramatic improvement within the first week of use.

It is expensive, about $60 for a bottle, but it does last quite a long time. I believe it is only available through your veterinarian.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest ellieb

Dasuquin comes in chewable tablets. Raven doesn't like them enough to eat them plain, but she'll take them if I drop them into her food.

The first two weeks you give a double dose (two tablets) once daily. After that initial loading period it drops to 1 tablet daily. You can give a double dose again if you're anticipating a situation that might aggravate their joints, such as a fun run, hiking trip, etc. I noticed a very dramatic improvement within the first week of use.

It is expensive, about $60 for a bottle, but it does last quite a long time. I believe it is only available through your veterinarian.

I saw it on Amazon.com, today. 150 chewable tablets for dogs over 60 lbs. for $50.98 and free shipping. Maybe this is what I will buy.

Edited by ellieb

Guest Greytluv

Thank you so much for the info. Would I continue to give the glucosamine and chondroitin with it?

I emailed my acupuncturist and asked her if I can only get it through a vet. She can either write me a script or my regular vet can. My acupuncturist has worked closer with Piglet than my reg vet so she may do it.

Guest ellieb

Thank you so much for the info. Would I continue to give the glucosamine and chondroitin with it?

I emailed my acupuncturist and asked her if I can only get it through a vet. She can either write me a script or my regular vet can. My acupuncturist has worked closer with Piglet than my reg vet so she may do it.

Did you see the above post about Amazon.com? They sell it. I just ordered some.

Guest mountain4greys

We've used the greyhounds gangs glucosomine and it works great. We use Longevity from Springtime now to. Buy 2 and get 2 free. This is great stuff to. :)

There are many good joint supplements out there, and they will help hounds. Most hounds DO NOT have to be on Rimadyl or Deramaxx for the initial stages of arthritis. Joint supplements can also be preventative, and don't have negative side effects, either.

Every hound is an individual, so while one product might work for one, it doesn't always work for another. But joint supplements work. Here are testimonialsthroughout the years which Greyhound Gang gets daily.

I've been giving the hounds who have passed through Gang's doors joint supplements, successfully, since 1999.

1. Glucosamineis the foundation. I prefer Glucosamine HCL as it has only gone thru one manufacturing process. Greyhounds need 1500 mgs a day. In some situations, (younger hound, arthritis hasn't progressed fully etc), you can get away with 1000 mgs a day (after doing 1500 for a few months).

2. The other supplements are in addition to Glucosamine. So MSM and Chondroitin also need 1500 mgs a day. Vitamin C (in Calcium Ascorbate form) is given to bowel tolerance.

3. Inflammation is the bad guy - for us and hounds. Reduce the inflammation, and supplements can do an even better job. I like Yucca Intensive, and Medizymfor inflammation reduction. There are other good products.

More thoughts:

Joint supplements are everywhere. Read your labels. Know what is in your products. Know the mgs in each pill. Know the quality. Cheap is not always good. Pharmaceutical companies/vet offices/retail stores make a lot of money on pills. There is a very large chain of people making money off those bottles. Oh, and supplements in food - waste of money. There is never enough to do any good. I like Dog Food Project for all information food related.

I have a vet who buys Get Up & Go Glucuosamine from me. I sell them a bottle for $12. They sell it in their office for $36. Gang sells it for $14.95. That's a 60-day supply for a greyhound. $7.47 a month.

Trying not to sound like an advertisement, :colgate but Greyhound Gang has been usingGet Up & Go for years. It's powder. It's pure supplement, no fillers, fully tested. Since not every dog needs every supplement, you can buy it as you need it - for the hound's needs, and yours economically. Since 1999, the proceeds have helped hounds. Almost Home for Houndshas been our major beneficiary.

Get Up & Go Q&A

Get Up & Go Products

Happy to answer any other questions. I'll be at Greyhound Gathering - Kanab, May 14 - 16, and Mountain Hounds, June 4 - 6 talking about how to keep our hounds living healthy for a long, long time.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Swifthounds

There are many good joint supplements out there, and they will help hounds. Most hounds DO NOT have to be on Rimadyl or Deramaxx for the initial stages of arthritis. Joint supplements can also be preventative, and don't have negative side effects, either.

This is so true. I keep all of my adult hounds on glucosamine, rather than wait until they show signs of inflammation or arthritis. To date, I haven't had to put a hound on anti-inflammatories except for brief periods related to injury.

Guest TexasGreytMom

When Dora first came to us, she would occasionally limp when she ran really hard. It was interimittent thing. Then, a couple of years later, it was more frequent.

We have both girls on Spring Valley Glucosamine Chondroitin All Day Extended Release - twice a day. It's been over a month since we started it and she hasn't limped since. We're hoping this continues to do the trick! :)

IIRC, a bottle of 120 caplets costs around $20 at Walmart. We put a dab of peanut butter on it and they wolf it down.

Guest chaoran22

Does anyone give Cosamin? My vet said to do Cosequin b/c it's been shown to be bioavailable, but Cosamin (for humans) is made by the same company, similar levels of ingredients, and about $20 cheaper...so I'm wondering if I can use that instead. I've used glucosamine in the past with no improvement at all, so I'm hoping these more bioavailable versions will help more.