Casey Has Gas And Has Been Licking His Butt

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

I am not really sure what is going on with Casey. Nothing has changed in his diet and he isn't normally a gassy dog. I have noticed that he is licking his butt quite a bit lately. The last time he started licking his butt (about 4 months ago)it turned into a huge abscess and he was on antibiotics for several weeks. I really don't want it to get to that point again but I have no idea what could be causing the problem. Could he be constipated and that is causing all of the problems? :dunno

Sounds like classic anal gland problems. If left to fester they could end up like this (warning graphic picture):

DSC02970_edited.jpg

I'd noticed that Gracie had been licking her butt too much. Came home from work to find that one of the anal glands had ruptured. While it looked absolutely horrible, my vet said it probably gave her a look of relief to had it finally burst. Antibiotics helped it heal. If I'd had a clue back then I'd have had her glands expressed and spared her this. Anal gland juice reeks!

I read somewhere (maybe here on GT) that some dogs just have problems with those glands. The action of bearing down when pooping should help to keep the glands emptied. However, my mutt girlie Pudge while she has the loveliest super firm poop still needs to have her glands expressed several times a year. Lucky us, today was the day for that. Phewie!

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Coltrane was licking his butt constantly about four months ago. He also had an unholy stench coming from it. Since I'd read about anal glands on GreyTalk, I took him to the vet to get them expressed. $15 for the vet tech's services, and he was a good as new. Hopefully the same will help Casey. :)

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Yep... does sound like infected anal glands, which can be smelly AND painful! A vet trip is in order. Sorry you and your Casey are going through this!

Guest houndlover

Sounds like classic anal gland problems. If left to fester they could end up like this (warning graphic picture):

DSC02970_edited.jpg

I'd noticed that Gracie had been licking her butt too much. Came home from work to find that one of the anal glands had ruptured. While it looked absolutely horrible, my vet said it probably gave her a look of relief to had it finally burst. Antibiotics helped it heal. If I'd had a clue back then I'd have had her glands expressed and spared her this. Anal gland juice reeks!

I read somewhere (maybe here on GT) that some dogs just have problems with those glands. The action of bearing down when pooping should help to keep the glands emptied. However, my mutt girlie Pudge while she has the loveliest super firm poop still needs to have her glands expressed several times a year. Lucky us, today was the day for that. Phewie!

Poor thing....that looks so painful. :o I have had Casey's anal glands checked several times in the past and they always said that they were fine but I made an appt for him to go to have this checked out. I hope it is something as simple as having the anal glands impacted. I certainly don't want him to be in discomfort.