Hydrogen Peroxide For Teeth?

I've only just come across this. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for teeth cleaning. I've read it can be really effective for removing tartar if rubbed on regularly. Does anyone here use it? Does it work? What do you think?

I used to think Dara O'Briain was funny. Now I know better.

Guest Cris_M

Hydrogen peroxide is the main ingredient in several of the (human) tooth whitening agents.

It can break down enamel if used too often or for too long a period of time. If I was going to use it on my dog, I would make sure I rinsed really, really well.

An interesting aside is that 100% HO4 is highly spontaneously combustible. Not that it matters or is pertinent....

It can break down enamel if used too often or for too long a period of time. If I was going to use it on my dog, I would make sure I rinsed really, really well.

I don't use it on the dogs, but I do use it myself. Peroxide is not abrasivie at all so I'm not sure how it could break down enamel

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm very interested in what others have to say on this. My boy is 10 and his teeth are horrible even with routine dentals.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Some of my clients use Hydrogen Peroxide for their dogs teeth. I can't say not to but I also won't say to use it. However, if you use this make sure it's a tiny amount and preferably on a cotton ball or q-tip to rub on their teeth.

Houndstooth recommended using a mixture of 1/4 Peroxide and 3/4 water to wipe around the teeth and gums of my dogs. It helps break down the "goop" (medical term :blink: ) that allows the plaque to build up. When using it I notice that their salvia isn't as slimey as it normally is.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest JarBear

I use it on my boy who has horrible teeth and can't have a dental due to a heart problem. I just dip a q-tip and swab his teeth along the gum line. It seems to help. Not as much bleeding or bad breath. I brush before I do this

Hydrogen peroxide can be useful, but you need to make sure it's very dilute. Otherwise, firstly it's nasty for the dog, and secondly, can cause tissue damage, especially if there are nicks and scrapes. My vet recommended 1% as a dental solution for Jack, who had a horrible mouth and was not at all keen on brushing. He had chronic gingivitis, and of course, brushing was painful for him. He didn't much like the hydrogen peroxide either, but between that and the irregular brushing, we managed to keep him a little bunch of teeth on one side to chew on.

He had very sticky saliva, which it seems was the root of his problem. The hydrogen peroxide did help a little with that, but of course, it's only temporary. It does remove the gunk though.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks cbudshome. Would that be Biotene liquid, gel or mouthwash?

It's the mouthwash. I just pour some on some gauze and wipe her teeth and gums. It's made a big difference

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless