Trimming Toenails

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles is due to get his nails clipped soon, so I'm wondering what methods is everyone using? What's the best way that's most comfortable to greyhounds? What are they used to at the track, and would copying that method help?

Edited by Tokolos

Guest KennelMom

I've only ever seen trainers use clippers at the track.

I use a dremel (rotary tool)...gets them short and smooth. It can take some desensitization for some hounds. see www.doberdawn.com for a detailed "how to"

Guest Chefcnam

I've only ever seen trainers use clippers at the track.

I use a dremel (rotary tool)...gets them short and smooth. It can take some desensitization for some hounds. see www.doberdawn.com for a detailed "how to"

I second that! :colgate

I use a clipper, and I find I can do a much better job of seeing what I'm doing and being careful about not hitting the quick when my dog is lying down and passed out, as opposed to standing up. (And I make sure I have the styptic right at hand and open in case I need it -- I rarely do, but not having it at the ready is tempting fate!) But I'm no expert at all, and may well buy a dremel some day. I'm very careful about not removing too much, but I try to clip every week or two.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest jaggersmom

I use a clipper, and I find I can do a much better job of seeing what I'm doing and being careful about not hitting the quick when my dog is lying down and passed out, as opposed to standing uI dr.

Edited by jaggersmom

I use clippers, but I shine a flashlight up through each nail so I can get a very good idea of where the quick is. I also find it better to do this when the dogs are asleep. :)

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

Guest Tokolos

Thanks, everyone.

My husband is a bit nervous about using his Dremel for fear it will get too hot or Sprinkles will move and he'll hurt him accidentally, so I may give the clippers a try for now and see if hubbie changes his mind in the future.

Guest jettcricket

I use a dremmel...a Craftsman that I absolutely love. It's a small, compact hand held battery-operated dremmel with a rechargeable unit.

Honestly I'm more afraid of using clippers and hurting the dogs than a dremmel. I try not to hold it on the nail for more than 3 or 4 seconds. If you need to go back and trim more you can.