How Many Trainers?

Guest jharr

Guest jharr

I want to start our new grey out on the right foot with clicker training. I have two boys (9 and 12) who also want to help. Is this a good idea? Can there be multiple trainers? I am thinking that we would each train something different. The boys of course are interested in 'tricks' while I am more interested in utilitarian obedience. I think this could be good bonding time with the boys and the dog as well as educational for them (all). What I don't know is whether this will be confusing for the dog. We will all use the same clickers, so the marker sound will always be the same.

What do you all think?

James

Guest eaglflyt

Yes, multiple trainers are possible, and even a good idea for a family situation. Be sure to find a good positive training/clicker trainer. Our obedience school will allow children 10 years and older to participate in classes. My husband and I both worked with our girl in class. It was encouraged to have family members participate so everyone was using the same signals and understanding the positive training techniques. Good Luck! You'll really enjoy this activity with your boys and your hound. :colgate

In the classes I've taken around here, they've generally requested that it be one trainer throughout the course of the class. If that's the case fo ryou, you can always have the dog go through the class more than once, with a different handler each time. And you can always have multiple people working with the dog at home.

The great thing about the clicker is that you can actually do the clicking and have the child do the treating, which is especially useful if the child is younger and won't have good timing with the clicker. The dog won't know who is doing the clicking, only who is doing the feeding, so they'll associate the reinforcement and learn to respect cues from the child.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."