Looking Skinny, But No Weight Loss

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

Laika has always been puppy skinny, but now I can see 3 of her ribs and 4 of the spines on her back. I've been trying to get her to eat more, but the girl barely eats her meals as it is. I've got a 'Dinner With Bill' situation at my house. She's been tested for worms and thyroid problems. And she weighs the same. I'm just not comfy with how skinny she looks.

Suggestions? I've been feeding her more but haven't seen much of a change. We've started crating Vivie for dinner (she's a bit of a bully with food and Laika is just so ambivalent). How soon should we see expect to see changes if something is working?

Any of you just have boney greyhounds? I mean, maybe this is just her figure? She's about to turn 2.

Guest Energy11

No boney greyhounds in this house. In fact, I have to watch their food intake. :-(

I do have a friend, with a two yr old, JoDee. He has had her since 5.5 weeks. SHE is very thin, and eats a very good diet, and a lot! She is soooooooooooo high energy, she just burns it off! All her bloodwork is amazing, and she is a VERY healthy girl. I, personally feel, she is just a bundle of energy, and burns off all the calories she eats.

If you are concerned, you can always feed your pup some high calorie, high carb doggie treats (*high quality) ... can't hurt, if she is that thin.

Eventually, just like my friend's grey, she should fill out.

Good Luck!

Guest lanielovesgreys

No boney greyhounds in this house. In fact, I have to watch their food intake. :-(

I do have a friend, with a two yr old, JoDee. He has had her since 5.5 weeks. SHE is very thin, and eats a very good diet, and a lot! She is soooooooooooo high energy, she just burns it off! All her bloodwork is amazing, and she is a VERY healthy girl. I, personally feel, she is just a bundle of energy, and burns off all the calories she eats.

If you are concerned, you can always feed your pup some high calorie, high carb doggie treats (*high quality) ... can't hurt, if she is that thin.

Eventually, just like my friend's grey, she should fill out.

Good Luck!

Can you suggest some treats? I never know if what I'm getting is quality and I think it's harder to find high quality treats. Plus, my Beebs is a little on the heavy side and I hate treating one and not the other.

I've been trying to sneak in an egg (she doesn't like them raw) or cottage cheese or yogurt into her food. But this seems to just encourage her to eat that only and not her food. *sigh* She's like a toddler. Do I have to start making plane noises to encourage her?

Guest K9Cookies

Our girl, Gracey, used to always be on the skinny side. She ate well, but still looked too "lean". I added one Citracel fiber pill to her dinner each night. What a huge difference! She looks good now, not too big, but not too skinny either. Might want to give it a try. You could pick up a small bottle at the drug store and see how it goes. I know of some other people who do this with their hounds too.

Good luck! :goodluck

Guest SusanP

Are they still growing a little around this age? Maybe she weighs the same because she's gotten bigger, but she really *is* thinner for her new, larger size? It wouldn't have to be a big size change, I'm guessing.

Guest mcsheltie

I've got one who is eating 6 cups a day and is still below her track weight. She is as healthy as can be. You can see every rib, every vertebrae. She is only 6 months off the track and i think she will gain weight eventually. Their metabolism takes a while to slow down.

Try Satin Balls. You can find threads here or Google it.

I swear by the Fat Ball (satin balls) Recipe! just give them 10 or so a day, and watch them fill out,,and glossy fur, and NO Diarrhea !

Right now, it's a staple in our house,,they are one of the only things Rascal will eat!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest brandi007

I have a skinny all bones dog (Hannah) and figure she's healthy, happy and well fed so why worry? Some people give me guff but I know I'm feeding her well (Over feeding actually, she gets as much as a dog 10lbs more than her weight) and she's got lots of loving.

She doesn't really go nuts for treats, takes like 15 min to eat one hot dog and if I feed her more than what I do at this point, she just leaves it and Sophie finishes it off....She's my lean bean machine :)

Here's a photo of her smack talking a puppy (she's the black one)

Picture1325.jpg

I added one Citracel fiber pill to her dinner each night.

I wouldn't give a fiber supplement to a dog. Most fiber supps say to drink at least a cup of water with the pill to prevent the fiber from expanding in the throat, causing choking.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest SaddleWags

My Edie was a skinny tiny girl, due to being high energy, well still is actually, but she put on a couple pounds thanks to satin balls. I switch each week between gr. beef with molasses and gr. chicken with cream cheese, added to brown rice and 3 hard boiled eggs. She's also a picky eater and this helps me tremendously, plus her BMs are excellent.

She gets a hefty spoon full from a satin ball at each meal.