Wanting To Be Outside All The Time?

Guest bluefawn

Guest bluefawn

Candi has now been with us for 8 days. She is a really sweet girl, but she does something strange. She wants to be outside all of the time!! I go out with the girls to play, and I worry about her jumping on Penny. This really upsets Penny - I have never seen her lash out like that, but Candi just wags her tail and runs off. She is pretty much not affected when Penny snarks at her. But when it's time to go in, I can't get Candi to come indoors! She just wants to be out in the yard until I make her come in! She would literally stay out there all night, if I let her! I know because I finally gave up last night around 10pm, and closed the door and turned the lights out. About 10 minutes later, I turned on the lights and opened the door, and she was not on the deck. She was still walking around in the yard.

It has been raining for 3 days and nights up until yesterday morning, and so it was pretty cool out, especially in the evening. I finally had to go out there in the rain Saturday night to get her, and she teased me and wouldn't come to me. She never comes when I call her, anyway. Once I do get her indoors, she is fine. She comes and lays her head on my lap and snuggles with me. She tries to climb in my lap, and she's a big, tall, lanky, bony girl! She eats really well, and loves treats. Sometimes I look out in the back yard, and she is just looking around, watching everything. She sometimes sits on her own out there, just checking out the neighborhood. Does anyone else's greyhound act this way? Should I be concerned?

Guest TeddysMom

Now that the weather is getting warmer, Teddy prefers to be out side most of the time. Even when it sprinkling he will just be out there laying, watching everything. Today he and Spice were out in the yard most of the afternoon, they just enjoyed the sunshine. As long as they are happy, I'm fine with it.

Sounds like normal dog behavior to me! Until she's learned a half-way decent recall, maybe you should take her out on a leash?

George would happily live outside if I'd let him!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greysonly

Myles is the same way. He would stay outside all day if I let him:P The only problem is he has found a new hobby. Digging <_< So he has supervised visits when he is outside :rolleyes:

Guest Energy11

Karen, if I let them, mine would be out there ALL the time! They will go out and lie in the straw (we have straw in the front smaller privacy-fenced turnout pen to help with the mud). When we lived in Mt. Dora FL, they had a doggie door (*will not use one here ... too may wild animals, including bear and many snakes, once the weather warms ... (UGH)! Some nights, we can be up and down literally EVERY HOUR with them, going in and out! They even did this when it was in the single digits!

WHY? I have no idea! Being young, Candi might just be curious, and like all the "newness" of being outside. We NEVER, EVER, get a full night's sleep with these five. Hopefully, Candi will settle in, given more time.

See ya soon! Dee

Guest bluefawn

Yes, Candi was digging too, when we had several days of rain, but I haven't seen her do that any more the last few days (thank goodness!). She was coming in with her feet just loaded with mud, and she didn't like it too much when I had to wipe them off as soon as she got in the door. Good thing the kitchen has linoleum! I have gone out and tried to put a leash on her to get her back in, but she runs from me. Hopefully soon she will start coming in with Penny, because she did finally come in with her this morning! Yay! I also watch her from the bathroom window when she is in the yard, and she does another funny thing - she stalks Penny! It is hilarious to see her move in ultra-slow motion, placing each foot carefully and stealthfully down, moving towards Penny like molasses! But Penny is finally getting used to her. They are by no means cuddling up together yet, and that may never happen. But Penny is finally warming up to her some.

Guest GreyFan09

Mine is just the opposite. When we let him out, as soon as he does his business, he is right back at the door to be let in.

I wish he WOULD stay outside for a while!

Guest bluefawn

That is how Penny is! She wants to go out, do her business, and come right back in! She will whine if she gets to the door one second before I go to let her in! Anyway, the last 3 times I have let them out, I was able to entice Candi in with good quality liver treats, and then praise and hug her and talk silly to her. I think it's working! Time will tell...

Guest Drumhellergrey

Ted likes it outside, but only on a nice summer day. He will lay about and snooze, or survey what is going on outside of the fence.

Most of the time however, he wants to be in with us. He thinks what he may be missing something if he goes out. He knows when his scheduled walks are and upon returning from said walks, will cool of in his pool or lounge around for a bit during the summer months.

Guest SusanP

Some of mine want to come in almost as soon as they've gone potty, and others enjoy being outside more. They go through phases from time to time: One summer, Zippy would go "camping" and lie in the sandbox until around midnight--DH stays up late, so he kept an eye on her and made sure she was in when he went to bed. The next summer, Zippy was afraid of the dark and wouldn't go out at night without one of us beside her.

Spinner is *always* our 'outside' boy. I let him spend as much time as he wants out there, but I'm lucky that he is the one hound in our pack that will actually bark when he wants in, so there is no danger of forgetting him.

For a variety of reasons, we muzzle our hounds outside. One reason is that two of them at various times in their lives have been prone to pestering their packmates outside as you describe, sometimes leading to squabbles, bites and staples at the vet's office. You might consider that in case the snarking escalates.

Sometimes, Lola would wake us up in the middle of the night, and want to go out in the back yard. I thought she had a tummy problem and really had to go, so i would get up and let her out. Only to realize.....she just wanted to walk around and hang out in the back yard at 3AM!! so now, i wait a couple of minutes until i hear her lie back down....before i rush to the back door. :)

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest bluefawn

Some of mine want to come in almost as soon as they've gone potty, and others enjoy being outside more. They go through phases from time to time: One summer, Zippy would go "camping" and lie in the sandbox until around midnight--DH stays up late, so he kept an eye on her and made sure she was in when he went to bed. The next summer, Zippy was afraid of the dark and wouldn't go out at night without one of us beside her.

Spinner is *always* our 'outside' boy. I let him spend as much time as he wants out there, but I'm lucky that he is the one hound in our pack that will actually bark when he wants in, so there is no danger of forgetting him.

For a variety of reasons, we muzzle our hounds outside. One reason is that two of them at various times in their lives have been prone to pestering their packmates outside as you describe, sometimes leading to squabbles, bites and staples at the vet's office. You might consider that in case the snarking escalates.

Oh yes! The girls are always muzzled when they go out!! Would never let them out unmuzzled. And I will be putting sunscreen on Candi once we start having really sunny days. Most people aren't aware that their dogs can get mild sunburn on any areas with little or no hair. Hopefully, Candi's hair will grow back one of these days from where she was shaved for spaying and the broken leg surgery done months ago.

Guest Heehoo

I have one that loves to be outside & I let him. Banker will go out & run his 8's then he'll explore around the yard & lastly find a cool green spot to lay down. BuyCut did the same thing & so did Racer. I just like to think of it as their quiet time to be away from everyone. If I let him, Banker would stay outside at night. They just like being outside. On Saturday & Sunday, if its nice enough, I leave my back door open so they can either stay out or come inside.

Personally I would let her go out & stay until she's ready to come in. I wouldn't leave home w/out her inside, but as long as it's nice enough to be outside, let her stay out there. She has found a new way of life. Remember while they were puppies on the training farm, they stayed outside. Once she went to a racing kennel, she got 4 or 5 20 minute breaks...Some greyhounds have NEVER felt grass under their feet....some have.

She's retired, she's enjoying it. :beatheart