Came Home To

Came home from work today to Runner hobbling around on 3 legs, and a bloody paw. Finally was able to see what was wrong. It seems that he has "scalped" the fur in between two of his toes! :o How in the world did he do that? So we now have it wrapped for the night, awaiting the vet to open at 7:30 tomorrow morning. There is nothing to stitch from what I can tell, but I think there is a flap of skin that needs cut off.

Anyone experience this before? I am stumped as to what he could have hurt himself on as the boys are gated in the family room and kitchen during the day.

And of course, this is on the same foot that he broke a toe last summer!!! <_<

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

Sorry to hear of the toe woes.

While it hasn't happened to our boys, there are many that get punctures of the webbing (typically from running outside) and scrapes on the knuckles, etc. Chalk it up to thin skin.

Is it possible he slid into a gate or piece of furniture or something? I know I am always surprised when our boys get dinged from just walking across the snow!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Pharoah does this at least once or twice a year. The last time was when the snow was crunchy and he was running through it and scraped the skin between the toes. During the summer he managed to snag a twig between his toes and skinned between them. Needless to say, I'm getting pretty good at treating his wounds. I would get the extra skin cut off and have a vet look at it. I did the first time Pharoah did it and hopefully your baby won't do it again, especially since it's the foot with the toe he broke.

Edited by grayladee

Update - It's bad when your vet calls and says "I have no earthly idea how he did that." :blink: But, good news is that he'll live. There was a little flap of skin that the vet said he would put a couple stitches in, but the rest of it was gone.

So, we are back to the sock inside and plastic bag outside since we have to keep his foot dry. Shades of just a few months ago when he broke his toe on the same foot!!! Ugh.

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lovemyhounds2

Good luck! I know how much fun it is to be wrapping and bagging feet! This past winter, right before we started the snow storms, our grey came in without a limp, but bleeding all over the place. I love it how feet bleed :wacko: He somehow split the webbing between two middle toes way back, almost to the big pad. Not sure how he did it, but suspecting that a sharp stick did it--there was also a big hole back inside too. Cleaned it out really well and got my 40lb first aid kit out and got him wrapped up. Took a month (no anti's, yay!) before he was healed. Now he can do the Vulcan hand sign!!

Guest MyBoys

Hopefully it will heal quick now that it is stitched, poor guy. I feel your pain though with the wrapping and the socks and the plastic bags, it's exausting isn't it?

Edited by MyBoys

Guest TeddysMom

Poor pup. I hate foot wounds, seems to take forever to get healed up. Hope Runner heals up well and gets lots of extra love and treats.