Anybody Have A Grey That Just Doesn't Like To Walk?

Guest jenznaz

Guest jenznaz

I pretty much have to drag our new guy behind me when we go for walks!! He's active in the apartment; plays, gets the zoomies, etc. and I checked his feet to see if maybe they're hurting, but doesn't seem like it.

I have never encountered a grey that is not massively excited to go outside and walk! Could it be fear? Anybody else experience this?

Joe doesn't like walks. After less than a block, he's dragging behind us, pulling us up sidewalks to get into people's houses :lol You get out the leashes and he runs to the car and Daisy runs to the door. :lol Joe would muuuuuuuuuuuuuch rather go for a car ride than a walk any day!

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

It may also be because he is new and still adjusting. Seamus was like that when we first got him. He would plant his feet and not walk another step. We had to be patient and devise a lot of tricks to get him moving. :lol Now he loves walks. It could be fear or uncertainty about the new outside world. Maybe once your guy is feeling completely settled and secure he will love walks.

S.jpg

Bella isn't crazy about walks. It took her a year here before she'd walk with us at all. Now I ask if she wants to go and she decides ! Some days she looks at me and goes and lays down. Other times she jumps around and goes nuts til we leave. It's her call.

Lynn

Missing Pepper,Magic,Kahlua, Hobbit Ziggy Jasper and Bella

Rose doesn't like walks at all. She is very fearful/anxious in general. I've decided that at age 11, if she doesn't want to go for walks, I'm not going to make her go for walks. :lol

I have a large-ish backyard where she can get her ya-yas out if she feels like it.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest 4dogscrazy

My oldest gal, Tempe, who raced for quite a while, does not particularly like walks. She will go with the pack, and is good for about 15 minutes, then she starts dragging behind. I figure she deserves to sit on her little pillow if that's what she wants! I also have a decent sized yard, so she can do zoomies when she wishes, and that's about it for her! She would follow me to the ends of the earth though, so I've never had to carry her home lol!

With Sunny it depends on what type of walk it's going to be. He isn't keen to go on walks around the streets where we live; I think he finds it boring and would rather stay on his bed :rolleyes: . On the other hand, he LOVES to go on longer walks in the countryside where he can have off-lead time and do some running. He knows what type of walk it's going to be before we leave the house, because I take different stuff with me for the country walks, and if it's a country walk he's really excited and leaping around, but if it's a street walk he just stays on his bed :lol .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest MyBoys

My bridge boy Gunnar never really enjoyed walks, he loved running in the back yard but he just did not like all that went on outside his own yard.

Guest earlkattangrey

I just got Kattan about three weeks ago and he definitely drags after three blocks. Each time is getting better though.

I was hoping with a greyhound to get a dog with an energy level on par with Meeve's - she is nine and gets annoyed at "puppy exuberance." Even though Kattan is young, not quite three, Meeve runs circles around him!

And actually I've used it to our advantage on walks. Kattan wears a tag collar with a slip collar above it for walks. I use a coupler to connect him to Meeve via his tag collar. I "greyhound loop" his leash (attached to his slip collar) onto my wrist, but am using the leash connected to the coupler to hold/walk them (his leash/slip collar are not engaged, just hanging as a back up). Anyway, sounds confusing but essentially when he starts dragging he gets a tug on his tag collar from Meeve, and that collar doesn't slip because his slip collar is above it. Otherwise, I'd be walking a puller and a dragger, which can be difficult to maneuver! This way has made it a LOT easier to walk them and keeps everyone at the same pace.

I am adding blocks very slowly, and the dragging is getting better. Other than the dragging he seems to enjoy walks. I am working hard to keep/build positive associations. This boy needs to be ready to go hiking by summer! :)

Guest greybookends

Monty's idea of a walk is a trip to the van. Drive around the block and come back inside. This is his preferred activity.

Picture1069.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol