Not Wanting To Eat

King, the greyhound who was lost for a day, isn't eating very much. He was lost on a Thursday afternoon, found the next afternoon. It has now been 4 days since his return.

His mom says he's never been a picky eater but now he bares eats. She thinks his water intake is a bit less than normal. Isn't sure if he's pooped yet.

She took him to the vet today when he didn't eat. All his lab work was normal. Vet gave her a pepcid-type product to settle his tummy and told her the next thing to do was xrays.

She's not real sure how knowledgeble this vet is with greyhound quirks so I've given her a link to Dr Stack's site. Janet (jordan) lives closer to them than I and has a great vet so I hope she can steer them there.

Could the stress of being lost (in a residential neighborhood) for 28 hours affect his appetite? Owner will be checking his poop to make sure what little goes in comes out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear King isn't eating. Surely, the trauma of his being lost that long could effect his appetite.

I would try tempting him with whatever he will eat ... chicken, baby food, high-quality doggie treats, whatever it takes. If the bloodwork is okay, I guess he is not dehydrated, which I was initially thinking.

Hopefully, she will find something he will eat, and can go from there.

Poor baby! Sending many hugs, love and prayers to King and his family! Dee and The Five

Guest Heehoo

I agree, it could be he's feeling alittle out of sorts. I wouldn't go with anything like steak or potatoes, but maybe something soft like baby food. Chicken brothe over his food too. 

Mom has just said that he ate! I've told her to follow him in the backyard and get a poop sample for her vet.

Dee, will the sample be OK tomorrow if she collects and chills it tonight?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Mom has just said that he ate! I've told her to follow him in the backyard and get a poop sample for her vet.

Great news that he has eaten. What about making those satin balls or the meatloaf recipe we have seen on this forum!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Energy11

Yes, the sample should be fine overnight. Now, IF she can get a "fresh" one tomorrow, that would be optimal.

Just tell her to be sure she doesn't forget, it is not chocolate candy! lol.gifeek.gif

VERY glad he ate, too!