Question About Gas, Again

I posted a few weeks ago about Fuzzy's gas and that his butt smells stinky. He smells almost skunk-like.

We took him to the vet for his annual a little more than two weeks ago, she expressed his anal glands and said to do it every few weeks. She suggested to try a groomer, where it would be less expensive. A few days later he had the issue of bleeding from his penis and he was then on K-flex for two weeks. I also gave him generic Pepcid AC, milk thistle and an acidopholis pill. For the entire two weeks, no gas, not a stinky butt smell. Two days off of the antibiotics, and clear the air. I still give the acidopholis.

And, why. Could it have been the Pepcid? How long can you take that? The bottle says not longer than three weeks. Anybody have an idea what cured him for two weeks? Suggestions appreciated.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

I give Pepcid AC daily to Curfew. He is on Enalapril for his blood pressure, Soloxine for his thyroid, and 1/2 of an 81 mg., low dose aspirin, for his "episodes." I also give Pepcid AC to Goldie with her Deramaxx.

I honestly dont' see a problem with them taking it daily, but, I am not a vet. Best to ask your vet if the giving the Pepcid AC is a problem, giving it daily. It is a anti-acid, so that might by who you aren't having gas. Like a lot of people, dogs can have a lot of excess stomach acids, which can cause the gas.

You can also give your dogs Gas-X. Because my dogs eat at 4 a.m. (*don't ask :-( ... I give them a Gas-X with that meal, as our E-vet is a HOUR away, until May (*we're getting one closer!! :-) I do this, to help prevent bloat, ... maybe it works, maybe not, but in theory, it should!

I'd definitely ask the vet about the Pepcid, but I've been giving it to Curfew for better than six month, and he is fine.

Good Luck! Dee and The Five

I remember when Misty had to stay on Pepcid long term and I believe it was Batmom who mentioned that long term use can de acidify the stomach, and when talking to my vet, he agreed with her.

But,long term was measured in many months. I switched Misty to Cerenia which is script only but it made me feel better.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I looked up Cerenia, as I had never heard of it, and the page said for motion sickness and vomiting. Is that what you use it for, and does it work for gas? Just curious, I guess.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Cerenia is what was given to Polli after her chemo. It is very expensive so if you want to try it, PM me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Robin is right Irene, it's not cheap, however in comparison to the other drugs Misty was on I didn't consider it expensive.

It's a great drug for upset stomachs and at least for Misty, it took care of the gas problem which was due to her stomach being upset.

The Cerenia and daily yogurt stopped the gas

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless