Weak Bladder/dribbling Urine

Guest GreyRabbit

Guest GreyRabbit

Cosmo is almost eight, we've had him for only two weeks and are discovering a horrible problem. Three times in the last week when I get up in the morning there has been a huge wet spot on the couch cusion where he sleeps (wet right through the blanket, the spots are as big as a piece of paper!). The first two we started to think was a marking thing because we rotated the cusion to the other couch after cleaning but he wet the same SPOT on the same couch (different cusion though, so clearly not a scent thing but a location thing). The spot in question is our boxador's favorite, so we thought maybe he was trying to claim it.

BUT this morning we had another accident but on a totally different couch/spot. ohmy.gif

AND yesterday he was lying on the floor and I was sitting next to him petting him when all of a sudden I saw some drops of urine on the inside of his leg. Lifted it up and sure enough there was a full trail of drops of urine.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it is a physical thing or a mental thing? He is alone for 8 hours M-F while we're at work so he can and does hold it, it seems like he wets only at night.

And yes...I know having him sleep in a crate would help or blocking him from the furniture at night would help me...we'll really do it now that I see it's not going to be as easy a fix as I had thought...

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this. First thing I would do, is get a urine sample, and have it checked. Could be a UTI. I'd have the kidney functions checked as well (blood work), and go from there. If it IS a weak bladder, there are meds out there for this.

Good Luck, and hang in there! There has GOT to be an answer!

My instinct is that this is not behavioral and that the first step is looking for a physical cause.

Piper had several week of dribbling pee, just as you describe. His was related to the dose of Potassium Bromide he was taking for seizure control. That medication tends to create hind end weakness and ataxia that, for Piper, afected his bladder as well. While scoping out what may be going on with your boy you might want to invest in a belly band and/or waterproof pads to use in his beds and on the couch. Those tactics helped as the vet and I tried to figure out what was going on with Piper.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Raven has the same problem. She is incontinent when she sleeps and leaves pee spots. It's not behavioral, it's medical.

First thing is to get him to the vet to see if he doesn't have an infection or kidney problems. If he doesn't, he'll probably be put on meds to control the incontinence.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest GreyRabbit

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouraging words.

Sample will be brought to the vet first thing Monday morning and the belly band did help last night, though he wet it twice. He woke me up to go out as he was wetting it, because as I took it off him before he went out the door he was wetting, but a simple "no no baby, hold on" and the flow stopped both times.

So nice to hear that there are meds if it is more that a UTI and that it is something we can live with. biggrin.gif