Need Advise Asap

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

I was just on the phone with my friend and her boxer got into the fertilizer bag. Don't know how much she ate and there are no instructions on the bag. Should she make her throw up?

Provided it's fertilizer and JUST fertilizer (no pesticides, no herbicides), the main risk is methemoglobinemia- "blue baby" syndrome in humans. Adults don't get it quite so easy because they have better mechanisms for dispensing with the nitrogen. Here's the chapter from the Merck Veterinary Manual on nitrate poisoning:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/212300.htm&word=methemoglobinemia

Look for:

Rapid, weak heartbeat with subnormal body temperature, muscular tremors, weakness, and ataxia are early signs of toxicosis when methemoglobinemia reaches 30-40%. Brown, cyanotic mucous membranes develop rapidly as methemoglobinemia exceeds 50%. Dyspnea, tachypnea, anxiety, and frequent urination are common.

However, as a chemist who deals with nutrient solutions for plants every day, I would say he probably didn't ingest much, if any. If pesticides or herbicides are involved, all bets are off, however. Most of the modern household pesticides are exceedingly safe, so while careful monitoring and a call to the vet/poison control is in order, panic is not in order.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest TeddysMom

I just got an email from the Milorganite Company. It is a natural, organic fertilizer which is not toxic to animals or children, thank God.

They are on their way to the E-vet now. Scared me half to death. She should be fine.

Please post an update. I hope all is well.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Thank GOD for organic products, BUT, even things "all natural and organic" can cause harm. Good move, just having the E-Vet check the boxer out. Good Luck.

Guest TeddysMom

Chloe, the boxer, is just fine. She never even threw up last night. E-vet didn't see the need to keep her or even give her anything, he had dealt with this product before. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. They did tell them to keep food on her stomach for the next couple of days so she thinks she is in heaven being able to eat something every hour. Thanks for everyone's concern, nice to know there is someone to ask for advise.