Coat Issues From Living Outside

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

My new grey was kept outside (in MA!) before coming to the adoption group I got him from. His coat is very fuzzy and noticeably much longer than other greys (we met another dog today and I could really see how different his coat is!). And it feels really dry and sort of wiry. Also, he's got a terrible case of dandruff. The group we adopted from assured us that his coat would improve and return to normal after a time but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation? If so, how long did it take to get better and was there anything specific that helped improve the look and feel of the coat? I'm also hoping his dandruff resolves. Poor guy.

It's a "farm" coat. My Elsie had one too. Her coat was exactly what you are describing. Now, it is still thick, but so soft and shiney!

Make sure you get a good brush. They sell the ones that are like a glove. They are gentle but greyt. Any petco has them and they are inexpensive. Since he will have to "blow' his coat, brush him at least 2x a week. A premium dog food, the oils from your hand when you pet him and brushing him should make things better.

Congrats! Pictures please?!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How long have you had him? Give it 6 months of good food and care -- usually that's all it takes. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The coat will improve quickly with good food and plenty of brushing. If you have occasion to bathe him, try using a rubber brush (like a Zoom Groom) or rubber grooming glove to massage in the shampoo. Leave the shampoo in for about 10 minutes or so as you massage. Then rinse thoroughly. Leaving the shampoo for a bit should help his skin and may loosen hair that's about ready to blow. The massage will help skin and coat, too.

But don't bathe too often. Just do it when he's actually dirty since too much bathing may dry out his skin. Brushing is more important than the bath.

If you get a Furminator, go gently. Don't use it too much in any one area; it can irritate his skin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest happygrey

Thanks everyone! A farm coat, huh? Lol, makes perfect sense seeing as he was living in a barn. :angry:

I really appreciate the fast replies and the info and suggestions. I actually bought one of those massage brush mitt thingys today so it seems I'm on the right track. We've only had him for 5 days. :) But he's awesome and I want to get him back to snuff ASAP.

I will get some pictures up once I get them resized. Right now they are too big to upload.

If you have occasion to bathe him, try using a rubber brush (like a Zoom Groom) or rubber grooming glove to massage in the shampoo.

I like the Zoom Groom for cats. The rubber is a little more yielding than the one for dogs, so it's more gentle for greys.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Monet was like that. Only hers was soft! And she had bald thighs. But obvious kennel coat. One good brushing with a curry brush, a bath, a blow drying, and another brushing, and she honestly shined like a new penny and looked pretty normal. Two weeks of melatonin and good food and she's the picture of health and her bald butt is furry now. I got a bag full of hair off of her the day I got her, and when she came off the rig, it was flying through the air!

Guest jcsperson

Thanks everyone! A farm coat, huh? Lol, makes perfect sense seeing as he was living in a barn. :angry:

:huh Racing Greyhounds are raised outside. They live in dog houses in runs in places like Kansas, Iowa or even Alberta, Canada. They are a much hardier breed than most people give then credit for.

Guest scfilby

Cy's coat was very stiff and wiry even more so than the other dogs in the kennel. We took him home in August and now his coat is nice and soft. He is still not quite as soft as Mickey, but is getting close. Basically time, good quality food, lots of pets and brushing.

Edited by scfilby

Treasure had her farm coat when I adopted her. It was quickly replaced with a shiny, sleek, black coat :). as others have said, good food and lots of brushing will make a world of difference.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest 3greysinPA

I just wanted to add that Lisa Ann... she has a beautiful thick gorgeous soft farm coat...

We Love it!!! Her coat is noticeably thicker than the others and she is super soft... like Lilly. (Feels like a bunny :bunny )

We cant help but pet her all the time... She's a Doll!! :beatheart

Guest happygrey

:huh Racing Greyhounds are raised outside. They live in dog houses in runs in places like Kansas, Iowa or even Alberta, Canada. They are a much hardier breed than most people give then credit for.

I'm sure they are but he was not in a good situation and not on a greyhound farm. He was being kept outside with a big bunch of other dogs that were not greys. After retirement from racing he ended up in a situation where he was pretty neglected. He's underweight and has many cuts all over his body, including one on his head that required stitches.

Guest PiagetsMom

If you have occasion to bathe him, try using a rubber brush (like a Zoom Groom) or rubber grooming glove to massage in the shampoo.

I like the Zoom Groom for cats. The rubber is a little more yielding than the one for dogs, so it's more gentle for greys.

Another vote for the Kong Zoom Groom - I've tried several different kinds, and Piaget is very sensitive about being brushed, but this one works beautifully on my pups and I've gotten no "complaints"!

Guest Swifthounds

It can take 4-6 months or more to see major changes, but that type of coat isn't unusual. Some dogs do have fluffier coats overall.

Some suggestions to try:

1. Rubber Hound Glove You can find them at pet supply places of any horse supply places (where they are usually less expensive).

2. Try a fish oil supplement for Omega 3s. The EPA/DHA content is what to look for. Shoot for 300 mgs of combined EPA/DHA per 30 lbs. If that doesn't produce desired results, you can work up to 300 mgs of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs. of body weight.

3. Good diet that produces firm stools and not a whole lot of it.

4. Brush the coat with a slicker brush to remove loose hair without causing pain.

Guest GentleHugs

My boy Patrick came off the farm with a farm coat, too. He had a dog house in his run outside and a crate inside the kennel, too.

I used a regular dog brush with soft bristles, grooming glove, flea comb (not for fleas but to get some of what the other brushes and tools I used left behind) and he got a couple of baths, too. It took me all summer long to get his farm coat off - mounds and mounds of fur that could have covered 2 other Greys! blink.gif If you are real careful, flea combs are fabulous for getting loose fur, dirt and dry flakey skin off.

Pat's coat looks fabulous now. It's very shiny, soft and still very thick.

My boy Heisman came straight from the race kennel with a thick heavy coat, too, but it wasn't a farm coat - that's the way his coat normally was - very thick, soft and very shiny. He would not wear a coat outside in the winter and hated being covered with blankets, too, so we never did those things.

Just continue to groom him and eventually his coat will flourish. I brush my kids every morning during their 2nd turnout. They line up when they see the brush in my hand. They love it. smile.gif

Guest BluMommy

My Foster boy Shuffles coat is so soft and shiny and thick, Unlike Blu's coat which is very thin.

Shuffle came from MA and the cold does not bother him at all.

Guest greydreams

When I first got Al, his coat was dull and not soft. I got a curry comb and a rubber mitt and I swear within 2 days he was shining and sofetning up. I used the curry comb for only 2 days because it seemed no more hair was coming off when I brushed him with it, so now just the rubber mitt. The first time I used the curry comb a LOT of hair came out. He had a lot of dandruff before I started brushing him, too, but it is gone now. He feels like a bunny rabbit now, just like the hounds I met at all the meet and greets I went to before I got him! I started him on melatonin for his bare spots 4 days ago, and I am already seeing some results. By the way, Al LOVES the rubber mitt. He could stand there all day and get brushed if it was up to him. Or maybe lay on his bed and get brushed all day, haha It will be 2 weeks I've had him this Tuesday, and he already looks tons better. I do brush him every day since he loves it and I am seeing results and I love doing it for him.

Guest zombrie

This isn't either Tatam or Bronson, is it? :P

We use olive oil - works like a charm. We put it in Mira's food and after a few days her coat was velvety and shiny. I'd also brush him everyday until the yucky hair is gone.