Bloody Diarrhea

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

Angler suffers from diarrhea off and on, so much so that he's on a permanent bland diet. It seems like every time I think, hey, he's putting a little weight back on! he has another bout :( Today, he's been out about five times, and the last poop was just blood and some mucus. It's bright red, so I figured it was from the irritation, but it's still scary.

The obvious thing is to go to the vet, but we have been to the vet many times, and they've never found anything wrong. It's frustrating to hear "Eh, we dunno!" so I am looking for thoughts on what sorts of questions I might raise or tests to ask for.

Also, he could definitely use some kind thoughts :(

Guest TeddysMom

My first rescued boxer had colitis and after $100's on vet visits and every food we could try I finally started feeding him raw. I fed him just beef for 1 month, then added bones, then started adding 1 thing at a time like rice and oatmeal. I saw an improvement within a week of feeding just beef. I am not a raw diet feeder but in his case, nothing else worked. After about a year I started adding beef and rice kibble and eventually weened him off raw. Good luck, I hope you find something that works.

Guest jupiterooos

My first rescued boxer had colitis and after $100's on vet visits and every food we could try I finally started feeding him raw. I fed him just beef for 1 month, then added bones, then started adding 1 thing at a time like rice and oatmeal. I saw an improvement within a week of feeding just beef. I am not a raw diet feeder but in his case, nothing else worked. After about a year I started adding beef and rice kibble and eventually weened him off raw. Good luck, I hope you find something that works.

We tried raw, it didn't help. He is allergic to poultry, and the fattiness of beef or pork exacerbated the diarrhea. He's been eating a bland diet of rinsed cooked beef and potatoes for a while now.

Have you tried Tylan powder? We have used this and also Metronidazole. We came home one night at 11 to find that Dusty had had EXPLOSIVE, bloody poop everywhere. It was splattered on walls and the pure blood and mucus dripped while he was walking around. :repuke We have gotten him under control with the Tylan powder. Good luck to Angler. :goodluck

Guest jupiterooos

Have you tried Tylan powder? We have used this and also Metronidazole. We came home one night at 11 to find that Dusty had had EXPLOSIVE, bloody poop everywhere. It was splattered on walls and the pure blood and mucus dripped while he was walking around. :repuke We have gotten him under control with the Tylan powder. Good luck to Angler. :goodluck

I have never heard of this. Is it like an antibiotic? How much do you give?

I think it is. When I gave Dusty (87 lbs) the powder, he got 1/4 tsp twice a day. The powder became a pain in the butt to use long term so my vet called the prescription in to a local apothecary who compounds stuff. They put it into capsules for Dusty and that bottle says C-Tylosin, 185 mg, twice a day. I think maybe the Tylosin is the generic???

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I think I have a bottle of it in the cupboard. I tried it with Morgan. I'll check when I get home. You are welcome to it if you'd like. Hopefully, it hasn't expired.

Guest jupiterooos

Colitis sounds rather likely. He does have the sticky mucus poop (that's the best kind! :puke). Today he seems better, lots and lots of gas, but he seemed perkier this AM.

Guest SoulsMom

It does sound like Colitis. Archie has bouts of this, but he hasn't had one in quite some time so I don't remember the meds he was on . . . .Soul, on the other paw, didn't have much of the mucous at all, just pudding poo with a lot of blood.

I have an 11 year old whippet that had stomach problems . It was terrible keeping weight on her, just getting her to eat, and her poop always had some problems, always. The vet put her on Tylan powder and FortiFlora Probiotics. both can be online without a prescription. The first day she was on the Tylan powder I saw a improvement in 24 hours. She also eats prescription ID food. Can, and , or kibble. Every time I tried her on any store kibble it started again. The Tylan powder has a awful taste. I bought gelatin capsules on amazon for 500 for something like $5.00. I use 2 capsules daily. She is more active and eats everything twice daily. No gases, no grumbling stomach, and ( here we go ) beautiful normal poop.

Guest LindsaySF

If dewormers didn't help, it might be bacterial. Tylan is an antibiotic, you can give it a try. If that doesn't help you might want to have the feces cultured. It could be another bacteria or something like SIBO.