Snoring- Could It Be A Health Issue

I know a lot of other breeds snore but I've never heard a greyhound snore like Corinna. The first night it blow me away how loud she was when she slept, it's not only the snoring but she also grunts and snorts. It's rather cute and gives her character but at only 2.5 years old I'm also concerned that it could be from some underlying health issue. She went to the vets for an initial check up when we brought her home and she got a clean bill of health but I forgot to mention the snoring at the time. So does anyone else have a greyhound that does this or is it something I should discuss with my vet.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest myneedlenose

Mayhem has always snored, snuffled, whined, grunted, rooed and barked in his sleep. The first time I heard Mayhem snoring in the middle of the night, I elbowed hubby thinking it was him! :lol

Guest Energy11

Mine dream VERY loudly, but, no snooring. DH does enough for all of them :-))

Shoring and grunting breathing CAN be indicative of upper airway problems. I would at least mention it to the vet, and just see what he/she has to say. No problems breathing that you can see?

You might just have a loud dog there :-) Good Luck!

Shoring and grunting breathing CAN be indicative of upper airway problems. I would at least mention it to the vet, and just see what he/she has to say. No problems breathing that you can see?

She gets winded easily when she plays but other then that she seems to breath fine. I think I will mention the snoring to the vet because I'll worry about it if I don't.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Energy11

She gets winded easily when she plays but other then that she seems to breath fine. I think I will mention the snoring to the vet because I'll worry about it if I don't.

Getting "winded easily" at her age might concern me. It can't hurt to tell the vet. It will put your mind at ease, and be sure there IS nothing to worry about, right? Sending love and hugs!

:nod I would have her checked out. Sutra (age 12) has started snoring, but, we're pretty sure he has mild laryngeal paralysis. He gets winded easily in warmer weather.

Does she sound raspy when she's winded?

Only tough thing about diagnosing LP is that they pretty much have to be scoped to be sure. At her age I do agree she shouldn't be winded unless she's been going crazy in the yard or something like that...

I'd at least mention it to the vet to have them listen to her breathing, and also to listen to her heart - perhaps she has a murmur or something :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

She doesn't have a heart murmur as the vet commented on how great her heart sounded just Monday. Her breathing is never raspy but she pants a lot after playing. It didn't concern me as both boys did the same thing when they first got home too. She has gone 30+ minute walks with out any problems and she is full of energy.

I'm going to phone the vet on Monday to see what she says.

Coltrane (almost 9 y/o) snores in his sleep. I've never asked the vet about it, as he doesn't do it all the time. I was quite surprised when we first brought him home, because I didn't think the long-snouted breeds snored. :dunno

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest GentleHugs

I know a lot of other breeds snore but I've never heard a greyhound snore like Corinna. The first night it blow me away how loud she was when she slept, it's not only the snoring but she also grunts and snorts. It's rather cute and gives her character but at only 2.5 years old I'm also concerned that it could be from some underlying health issue. She went to the vets for an initial check up when we brought her home and she got a clean bill of health but I forgot to mention the snoring at the time. So does anyone else have a greyhound that does this or is it something I should discuss with my vet.

It wasn't long after we adopted LuLu at age 4 1/2 when I first heard her snore. I honestly thought is was DH who must have fallen asleep on the couch in the other room until I realized he wasn't even at home! blink.gif

Then I discovered it was LuLu. She snores louder than DH does and it sounds like a freight train, too! So, I took her into my vet who did a complete thorough exam on her (because of her past history of other health problems) and could not find a thing wrong. He said if she were a short snouted breed, he'd be concerned but she's not so we don't worry about it. He said LuLu is just LuLu. Of course, when I call now to ask a question or whatever - I get "So what did LuLu do now? We need a good laugh for the day!" because she's ALWAYS doing something that makes my heart skip a few beats.

Fast forward to now and LuLu is 7. She still snores and snorts - especially when she buries her head underneath her blanket! Somewhere in the cute and funny forum is my posting with pictures about LuLu snoring recently. I think it's titled "OMG! What is that noise!"

If it would make you feel more at ease, take her in and get her checked out. If there's something wrong, then at least you know you did the right thing for her. If there's nothing wrong - then at least you know she's ok and you just have a girl who snores!

Btw - is she black by any chance? LuLu is a little black Greyhound with a slight Roman nose and an overbite thats always getting into trouble.

It wasn't long after we adopted LuLu at age 4 1/2 when I first heard her snore. I honestly thought is was DH who must have fallen asleep on the couch in the other room until I realized he wasn't even at home! blink.gif

Then I discovered it was LuLu. She snores louder than DH does and it sounds like a freight train, too! So, I took her into my vet who did a complete thorough exam on her (because of her past history of other health problems) and could not find a thing wrong. He said if she were a short snouted breed, he'd be concerned but she's not so we don't worry about it. He said LuLu is just LuLu. Of course, when I call now to ask a question or whatever - I get "So what did LuLu do now? We need a good laugh for the day!" because she's ALWAYS doing something that makes my heart skip a few beats.

Fast forward to now and LuLu is 7. She still snores and snorts - especially when she buries her head underneath her blanket! Somewhere in the cute and funny forum is my posting with pictures about LuLu snoring recently. I think it's titled "OMG! What is that noise!"

If it would make you feel more at ease, take her in and get her checked out. If there's something wrong, then at least you know you did the right thing for her. If there's nothing wrong - then at least you know she's ok and you just have a girl who snores!

Btw - is she black by any chance? LuLu is a little black Greyhound with a slight Roman nose and an overbite thats always getting into trouble.

That makes me feel a lot better. The snoring is very unlady like but it sure is cute. She is mainly white but she does have some black on her as well, no roman nose or over bite though.

Guest GentleHugs

That makes me feel a lot better. The snoring is very unlady like but it sure is cute. She is mainly white but she does have some black on her as well, no roman nose or over bite though.

Well, Corinna might be lady like in other ways but LuLu is unlady like in a lot of ways! rotfl.gif My girl Ashley is a girlie girl but LuLu is well..... from another planet! tongue.gif

Actually I wished LuLu's foster mom would have enlightened me a lot more about LuLu's personality, habits, etc, before I adopted her. I still would have adopted her - it's just that I would have been more prepared. I probably wouldn't have found myself clinging to the ceiling the first morning she barked in my ear (about 2 inches away) at 5am in the morning! yikes.gif