Two More Newb Questions

Guest jesimadi

Guest jesimadi

Ok - so here are two more concerns that I hope you greyt people can help me with...

I don't have a fenced in yard - I do have a dog park nearby that I go to often. I am on a walking schedule of four times a day. Are dog parks ok for greyhounds? I have never seen one there and they have every other dog I could think of otherwise.

Next question - I have been reading a ton about greyhounds and really want one... but I am not sure we would have room for two. I already have a little dog and two cats. Can a grey be happy with only little friends?

Am I a bad fit for these amazing dogs?

Thanks again for all your help!

Guest greybookends

Welcome to the wild world of Greyhounds. Yes many hounds do just fine with just little friends or even just cats. Whatever group you decide to adopt from will help you find the right hound for your home.

As long as your hound is getting several good walks a day he/she should be fine. I personally don't like dog parks for ANY breed! There is not enough supervision for the hounds because most of the owners are clueless as to what their dogs or anyone elses dog is doing and WAY to many bad things have happened as a result. I choose not to put my hounds in such a precarious situation as do many of the other GH owners here.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Guest Harry702

Dog parks are a bit of a touchy subject around here. Many greyhound owners don't take greys there because of the bad situations that can and do arise.

As for our family, we live in a city with a teeny tiny backyard. No room for Harry to run around at all back there. We take him to the dog park because that is the only way we can give him regular chances to run around off leash. That's it. We're always very careful... we try to go at quieter times, and we're both pretty good at "reading" dog behavior (we're big Pat McConnell disciples... and have read other books on dog behavior and dog language as well), so we keep an eye on Harry and the other dogs to gauge if things are going well or not. And truthfully, Harry loves the chance to interact with other dogs. Over the past few years, he's gone from a dog who gets anxious when meeting other breeds... to a dog who will actually run and play with other dogs. We've also found that the dog parks that we take Harry to are typically visited by pretty good, aware, owners. That makes a big difference.

So I guess my response to the dog park issue is that it depends on the dog park and it depends on your dog. We know Harry very well, and that is critical to our understanding where his comfort zone lies. If you do decide to take your pup to the park, be very cautious and NEVER assume that other dog owners will look out for their dog... let alone yours.

And greys can be happy with just little friends. Harry lives with two feline sisters, and while I won't say that they're buds, but everyone respects each other amazingly well. Every once and awhile he'll be desperate to play and will try to engage one of the kitties with a playbow or an air snap, but we don't let him continue with that... and we view that as a sign that WE really need to play with him.

Guest Jubilee251

We've also found that the dog parks that we take Harry to are typically visited by pretty good, aware, owners. That makes a big difference.

So I guess my response to the dog park issue is that it depends on the dog park and it depends on your dog. We know Harry very well, and that is critical to our understanding where his comfort zone lies. If you do decide to take your pup to the park, be very cautious and NEVER assume that other dog owners will look out for their dog... let alone yours.

I agree with this. I took Molly to a nearby dog park for the first time yesterday morning - it was 6:30 in the morning, dead of winter in Chicago. There was no one there except an older gentleman and his Doberman, who just wanted to chew tennis balls. If it was summer and there were tons of dogs there, I wouldn't feel as confident letting her loose. She usually likes to be left alone and just sprint around to her liking, but I don't trust other dogs not to get in her face.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

1) I would never again take a Greyhound to a dog park after a few bad experiences. The only exception is when it is quiet and I can go to a park that has a posted BIG DOGS ONLY sign, and has three other runs- so I can generally have it to myself. I lock the gates too so I have time to gather my hounds and leave if someone tries to come in. Mine are fine muzzled around other large dogs but are NEVER okay with anything under 50 pounds that is not a Whippet (they are fine with Whippets), and they are not okay with super fluffy shaggy dogs of any size (but are fine with Labs, Goldens, Shepherds, etc). I have to be very careful. I have a spacious yard, but I like to take them to ball fields for some serious hauling ass now and then!

2) Greyhounds take up shockingly little room, and a small dog and cat friendly Greyhound can be just fine with those as his buddies :)

3) You don't sound like a bad fit at all!

Guest bigbrindlebunny

I live in an apartment and took Pete to the dog park too because he does pretty good with all other breeds. Well, after an aggressive Lab (go figure?) tried to go after him one day, and I beat him off with my handbag, that was that. I was lucky, I surprised the hell out of the Lab and he didn't do any damage, but that was the last time we went. The owner totally didn't care that her dog was too aggressive for the park. So I decided that with a Greyhound's delicate skin it was just too scary to go there. I mean, 2 weeks ago Pete banged his foot into a table at the groomers, I had taken him there for a dremmeling, and the cut needed 4 staples. I can't imagine what a real bite would do. But so far I can't find a nearby space where it's safe to take him off lead, and now I feel guilty about not being able to let him run. Sigh.

I would not recommend dog parks for any new owner of inexperienced dog handler. They can be very dangerous places if your not used to looking for subtle body ques from diff breeds. We live in an Apt and go to the dog park at 6:30-7:30 am depending on when the sun rises. That way no one else is there and our greys can play peacefully. Some greys have no interest in running at the dog park and some do.

------

Jessica

I found a dogpark near-ish to me that has been taken over by greyhounds at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings. Last Saturday, there were 11 greys hanging out for an hour or so. It was really nice to socialize with the other owners and let the dogs (all muzzled of course) mingle, too. Otherwise, we would never go there. We also live with a whippet and 4 cats and all furkids get along fine.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest mpportraits

Don't know much about the dog park issue, we have a big fenced in yard, thank goodness! But, on the other issue, I have 2 cats (one is the size of a medium dog!) We let the GAO adoption coordinator pick the best fit for us. Once a grey that tested A on cats came along, she was in our house! These are such loving dogs and are pleased as punch to be near you or on their bed. My Phoebe girl spends most of her day following me around and plopping on whatever bed is close by. Good luck and I hope you meet your forever baby soon!

Guest dramaqueen

I personally would never bring my greyhound to a dog park. They warm you of diseases that can be picked up there. Remember not all people pick up after their dogs & you have no way of knowing where other dogs have been. And too dog fights. On any given day a dog can turn and your grey will be in the middle.(good luck stopping a fight) Greyhound skin tears & rips, need i say more? For your safety and that of your pets please think twice about a dog park.

I live in a condo and don't have a fenced yard. I take mine to the dog park when I can. Yes, there's risk involved, but the benefits far outweigh keeping them cooped up.

Greyhounds are tall dogs, but they are low maintenance and they sleep a lot, so they really don't take up that much room. In my experience, having enough room for another one is hardly an issue. Having enough time and money to take care of another one is what you want to focus on. And yes, they absolutely can live with small fuzzies!

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh