Our Second Grey

Guest surfersmurf

Guest surfersmurf

we got our first greyhound lyla about a month ago and she was wonderful from day 1. No anxiety...very loving...very calm...basically a big couch potato. She adjusted great so we decided to get a second grey much sooner than planned. We brought him home this past Friday evening and his first night with us was a total nightmare. He is a pretty energetic dog and when we got him home he went into excited/panic mode. After about three hours of him running and pacing around the house we tried to put him in his crate and he started acting worse. He was barking and whining and banging himself up against the crate walls. We tried to do everything right...we had a radio and light on...and lyla was in a crate right next to him....this went on the entire night and nothing we did calmed him down....my fiance and i were on the verge of nervous breakdowns. He has calmed down but still has a little more energy then we were hoping. Has anyone had an experience like this were after a week or so he really calmed down and became very lazy or does anyone think that we may luck out and see him settle. Just kinda looking for some input.

First of all, how old is your boy? The younger they are the more energy they have. The best thing you can do is give him lots of exercise. A tired dog is a happy, calm dog. Make sure you keep him on a schedule so he knows what to expect when. A good long walk before bedtime will help him sleep. It might take a couple of weeks for him to really settle down but he should. Once he feels comfortable and not anxious he should become a real love bug.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FrostyBottoms

Well...it sounds a little familiar anyway! Frosty came home from the track...a perfect angel...never barked, did everything we wanted her to do...yada yada yada...so we decided we needed 2! Afterall, Frosty was soooo perfect. I saw Vinny's pic and had to have him, so 5 months after we adopted Frosty we brought Vinny home. He had SA (I was told that) I am home all day anyway, so it didn't matter. But Vinny gets into everything! He tried to chase a bunny under the fence and needed stitches, he was running in the kitchen and slammed into the island and needed stitches, he has alergies, he tries to eat things, well like just for instance a few minutes ago he got into dd's pencil case and was trying to eat pencils...on Halloween he ate TONS of chocolate from dd's halloween bag....he gets into everything, oh, why just this morning he came up from the basement with an empty pack of gum in his mouth....FROSTY NEVER DOES THIS STUFF! But I wouldn't trade Vinny for anything! He is my Heart dog!!!!Your in for a fun ride!

Good Luck!!!

Agreed with Jilly above.

He sounds like he is very anxious. Have you done your reading? Remember, no 2 greys are alike.

If you are freaking out and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, do you have any idea of what kind of vibes you are sending off to him which is making him worse! I know you don't mean to, but that's what will happen.

So, take a big deep breath and start over. Establish a routine for every day of the week- even days off. They don't know the differnce between Monday and Saturday. Do you have a fenced in yard or is it walkies only?

I would plan on walking them at least 40 minutes 2 x a day for excercise and to tire them out in addition to the pee/poop outings you need to do. Do the 1st one prior to leaving for work and the 2nd one an hour before bed.

You can leave him something to chew on (NEVER bones or rawhide, bully sticks etc) like stuffed kongs.

This will get better. it's not too unheard of.

Congrats. We would love to see pictures.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Good advice above. Plus, it sounds like the crate is counterproductive at this point. Some greys just don't like being crated. If you're concerned about him getting into things leave him muzzled - and with a nice stuffed Kong. You can also baby gate him in a safe room.

You should also do some alone training with him. Be patient and consistent with him - same schedule every day. Be calm and encouraging. Up his exercise.

Congrats!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest surfersmurf

well after he calmed down friday night.....he has slept in his crate every night with no problems and we left him home in his crate all day while we were at work and he seemed to do great.....i have been calm since saturday...i was only a basket case friday night...i just didnt know if energy levels went down after they settled in a bit cuz when he is out around the house he just constantly wants to play which is the total opposite of lyla.

Agreed with Jilly above.

He sounds like he is very anxious. Have you done your reading? Remember, no 2 greys are alike.

If you are freaking out and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, do you have any idea of what kind of vibes you are sending off to him which is making him worse! I know you don't mean to, but that's what will happen.

So, take a big deep breath and start over. Establish a routine for every day of the week- even days off. They don't know the differnce between Monday and Saturday. Do you have a fenced in yard or is it walkies only?

I would plan on walking them at least 40 minutes 2 x a day for excercise and to tire them out in addition to the pee/poop outings you need to do. Do the 1st one prior to leaving for work and the 2nd one an hour before bed.

You can leave him something to chew on (NEVER bones or rawhide, bully sticks etc) like stuffed kongs.

This will get better. it's not too unheard of.

Congrats. We would love to see pictures.

I've only had my dogs for 7 months and 5 months. I laugh to myself when I think of what I thought their personalities were when I first brought them home (if that sentence makes any sense?). They've changed so much, and for the better. And they're still changing. I'm sure I'll be laughing in another year when I look back on my take on things now. My second was so over the top energetic when I first got her. She was so "out of control" I thought I was going to have to return her that day. I was in tears. Of course, I didn't (thankfully), and she is the more mellow of the two dogs. She is so sweet and agreeable. Also, they say dogs sense your stress even if you're internalizing it, and they react to it. It's totally true. I'm a new dog owner and new to greyhounds, but what everyone says here is true...they respond so well to positive reinforcement and patience. Good luck :)

I've only had my dogs for 7 months and 5 months. I laugh to myself when I think of what I thought their personalities were when I first brought them home (if that sentence makes any sense?). They've changed so much, and for the better. And they're still changing. I'm sure

Yup! Even after 3 ++ years there are still changes! Some good, some not so good!!! ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TeddysMom

I did things a little backwards. I rescued Teddy from the shelter and within a week I discovered a big devil puppy who is into anything and everything. I figured maybe that was just greyhounds but I loved him anyway and made the decision that I wanted to adopt another one. Spice came home 3 months after Teddy and she is almost too perfect and has also just stolen my heart. I'm sure they will change over time but I can't imagine life without them. I hope your boy gets settled in and doesn't get into too much trouble, I never count on that with Teddy though. Good luck and congratulations on adopting both your greys.