Greyhounds = Love

Guest tbrodzel

Guest tbrodzel

Hello All,

First I would like to start by saying I am a newbie. This is my first Dog and first Greyhound. SO I have many questions and don't always know what to expect. I have read a few books and read the post that explains my Brynna's very different life before she came to us, but I still have many questions.

When researching which dog would be right for me, affection was a HUGE deal. I read and heard from many that Greyhounds eat up love and attention. Now affection can mean different things so perhaps I misunderstood or maybe it is just too soon. I know Brynna is too big to be a lap dog, but I really would love it if she would cuddle on the sofa or my bed with me while watching tv or even be fine with her head on my lap while I pet her. Granted I have only had Brynna for 2 months, so maybe I am expecting things too soon (I have no past experience to gauge it with). Brynna will follow me around at times and lay on the floor or couch near me, but if I am too close she jumps up really fast. She doesn't like anyone to be really close to her head and sometimes her body. (maybe something happened to her during her racing days or maybe she is just so used to living in a kennel with no humans next to her). Anywho, can I expect that in time she will get used to humans being near her? Is there anything I can do to help her get used to humans being near and show her that it is a good thing? Or do I just accept that this is her personality and who she is and always will be?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Guest greysonly

I think give it time she will be snuggling you. Marley didn't want anyone by him either when I first got him. But they warm up to you after a while. Now he snuggles me on the couch. Sometimes he tries to push me off tho :P

Guest KennelMom

Some dogs just aren't snugglers. My first greyhound wasn't...and still isn't at almost 13. She likes being near and around you, but she's never been one to jump on the bed or sofa and cuddle. Some will warm up over time the first year in a home. Some are velcro'd to your side from day 1. If it was very important to you, probably that latter-type dog would have been the best match. You can always adopt a second! :P The company of other greyhounds often makes shyer hounds loosen up.

Guest 3greysinPA

Figgy was not a snuggler at all when we first brought him home... didnt give kisses... nothing...

but now..... look out... if you are on the sofa...or the bed.... he will want to sit with you...

He will try to squeeze in the sofa on a spot that might only be 6-8 inches wide.. but he will start

to crawl up and make space to sit by you and then lay his sweet houndie head in your lap... He is now

my big boy love bug :beatheart .... But it took months...like 7 months...

Lilly :love2 was a snuggle bug from day one... and still is.

Faye :heart was not a snuggler at first either.. took her about 2 months ... but now she is the first one

to jump in bed and want to snuggle :heart with me in the morning.

oh... boy... i love greyhounds..Life would be boring without them...

Guest Swifthounds

I'm sure that in one of those books it mentioned greyhounds being crated at racing kennels. What we often don't think about with regard to the crating is what it means for physical boundaries. A racing greyhound has spent its youth with its littermates, but from the time it goes to training for the track, that crate represents its home. The hound eats, sleeps, and spends much of its day there - undisturbed. The bedding, the food, and toy or chew is given there and no one will take it. No one enters that space.

It's not that a greyhound new to home environment isn't affectionate (though they may not be the first few months)but rather that their experiences with affection are different than your expectations.

The best advice is to let the hound set the pace for the affection. Create opportunities for physical affection, but don't push the issue. Your patience will be rewarded.

I agree, I would give her more time. She follows you which is a good sign that she wants to be near you. The snuggle part will come when she is ready. Try sitting on the floor when you are watching TV and see if she approaches you, don't make a big deal if she does. If she is standing next to you while you are sitting on the floor just gently rub her chest or scratch her chin and then stop, let her come back to you for more. Just take your time and let her move at her pace, a little at a time is a big step for some greyshounds.

My grey is not a snuggler, but comes when he wants to be petted, each dog, grey or not has their own personallity, and it will come out the longer they are with you, give it time :)

Guest Harry702

Hello All,

First I would like to start by saying I am a newbie. This is my first Dog and first Greyhound. SO I have many questions and don't always know what to expect. I have read a few books and read the post that explains my Brynna's very different life before she came to us, but I still have many questions.

When researching which dog would be right for me, affection was a HUGE deal. I read and heard from many that Greyhounds eat up love and attention. Now affection can mean different things so perhaps I misunderstood or maybe it is just too soon. I know Brynna is too big to be a lap dog, but I really would love it if she would cuddle on the sofa or my bed with me while watching tv or even be fine with her head on my lap while I pet her. Granted I have only had Brynna for 2 months, so maybe I am expecting things too soon (I have no past experience to gauge it with). Brynna will follow me around at times and lay on the floor or couch near me, but if I am too close she jumps up really fast. She doesn't like anyone to be really close to her head and sometimes her body. (maybe something happened to her during her racing days or maybe she is just so used to living in a kennel with no humans next to her). Anywho, can I expect that in time she will get used to humans being near her? Is there anything I can do to help her get used to humans being near and show her that it is a good thing? Or do I just accept that this is her personality and who she is and always will be?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

This sounds very much like Harry... particularly when we first adopted him. Like you, I thought I wanted a snuggly dog, and we had a few issues in the first 6 months - 1 year, because I kept trying to overstep Harry's boundaries. It's been almost 2 years and I'll be honest.... Harry still isn't a snuggly dog in the way I thought I wanted. He's not comfortable with people getting too close to his head or face (unless he initiates it, which he will occasionally do now that he's more comfortable). True, he's more tolerant of me and DH now, and it's been over a year since he's growled at me for getting too much up in his personal space. I'm also much more aware of his comfort level, and over the past few years, we've come to a place that we're both happy with... affection-wise. It's been a learning process for both of us.

This is not to say that he hasn't become an affectionate dog. Definitely not the case... he's just affectionate in his own way, on his own terms. And I enjoy his affection so much more because I know how far he's come to be in a place where he'll seek that out. And to be completely honest... I've had foster dogs who were super affectionate, in your face all the time, licky, dogs... they're sweet and fun... but I'll take my laid back boy's gentle, sweet, non-pushy brand of affection any day. :wub:

Guess the bottom line is that they're not all couch snugglers. She may become that in time... she may not. But I'll tell you... give her a chance to show you how she shows affection... it will mean the world to you in whatever way she chooses to show it. Trust me. :blush

Give her time, and don't try to rush her. Two months is a very short time and she's still feeling her way. As others have said, coming from a crated environment into a home where people want to touch her all the time can be intimidating, but she will open up as she gets used to home life.

It's true that there are some greyhounds who aren't snugglers, and if that's the case, there's nothing you can do about it. Trying to force the issue won't help. However, some of the biggest snugglers were just like your girl when they first landed with a family, but within a year they're changed personalities and can't get enough of the love.

Approach her gently, and from the shoulder, not head on (which many find difficult), and touch her often in passing, just a light, fleeting touch. Put your hand lightly on her shoulder when you put her food bowl down or give her a treat. Stay for a moment after putting her collar or leash on, and stroke her head just once or twice. The key is two-second touches (less with a nervous dog) and move on. You're aiming for familiarity. Not to say you can't ever stroke her for longer, I don't mean that, but this is extra fit-in-between contact, and it does wonders for bonding.

Never stay longer than she's comfortable with, and don't try to hug before she's ready. An unsure dog might not actually run away, but might just lick her lips and either turn her head or stand stock still if she doesn't like something.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I'm with a poster above who suggests perhaps adopting a snuggly hound. Only two of mine literally constantly want to be ON me, but all are affectionate. The competition factor helps too I think! Give her time, too. She might surprise you. The only time I don't have a Greyhound touching me is when I am out somewhere without them, or when they're in their crates eating! I even have one that tries to join me in the shower, but settles for lying on the bathmat with her head on the edge of the tub.

Just give her time, it took Bentley 7 months to come with us on the couch. Now whenever a human is on the couch he will jump up and snuggle up !!

Just be patient thumbs-up.gif

Guest widowcali

It also depends on the dog. When I first got Cali, she would kind of snuggle with me. But she had major sleep agression. It took a while for her to be want to snuggle with me while she was sleeping. Widow was kind of shy, and refused to get on furniture for the first few months. She was a multiple bounce, so I chalked it up to that.

6 years later, I have walking procotologists and pillow hogs. :lol Theya are constantly up my butt, so to speak. Widow is the worst. She has to be touching me as much as possible and will literally meld her body to me, shoulder to shoulder, back to back, butt to butt, when we are in bed. Cali, if I don't pet her in a while, will come over to me and shove whatever I am holding out of the way so she can get some luvin's. They will also lean against me in the worst way, like putting their whole body on me and balacing on 2 legs.

The more comfortable a dog is with you, the more they want to snuggle.

Guest johnandheidi

It looks like you have gotten some great information already. We're new to the world of greyhounds ourselves, so I'm making a mental note for my own reference.

We have 2 male greyhounds, Walter & Jeff. They are both attached to us at the hip. Literally. But, in terms of snuggling, not exactly. Walter snuggles and loves to put his head in my armpit while I'm sitting at my desk. Or between my legs if I'm standing. It's pretty cute. He LOVES when we snuggle him, too. As long as he's being hugged, he's not going anywhere. Jeff, on the other hand, is not so outwardly affectionate. He does not initiate snuggling, though he's very happy to be on the receiving end of our snuggling. They both love to be petted and scratched and massaged. They do not, however, give wet, sloppy doggy kisses; I guess they are too dignified for that. (That's OK by us, and the random strangers we encounter when walking them seem to appreciate it, too.)

It's only been 3 months, so I expect their affection will continue to evolve. I will say this: I can't stop hugging them! Oh, they are just soooo cute!

Individual personalities can vary so much. Piper, my first grey is not a snuggler--won't get on the bed, just discovered the couch after 6 years--but he makes it clear that he loves it if I come sit with him and pet him. Spirit is rather undemonstrative--seldom wags his tail, doesn't kiss--but it is always a safe bet that if I reach down, he'll be right there beside me. He loves being attention and will wave a front paw at me if I stop. After several months, he will now sometimes hop up on the bed and curl up beside me. MoMo, my girl, is a snugglers dream! :lol She hops up on the bed, plasters herself across me and I try to go to sleep with Mo breathing in my ear or on my neck. She eats up any and all forms of attention.

I think you have to take your hounds as they are--after all, their preferences are half of what makes the relationship work. Having said that, 2 months is a very short time for her to settle in to home life and get to know and trust you. Don't despair and don't rush her. I'll bet she ends up being a great snuggle buddy in a few short months.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Bloomer is our 2nd grey. she is kinda funny abou how she shows her love. when we first got her, she'd rather be in the other room, laying on the floor. we'd go to bed, she'd sleep out in the livingroom. slowly she started to become part of the family. she started to want to be with us, then she started sleepind on the bedroom floor...... well now herw we are. she is next to me 24/7. i tell her daily, walking with her head up my butt wont make me move faster. i know she is always standing or laying behind me. if im in the bathroom, she is there, "hey mom your sitting down! pet me" and now i have my dh, my ds, my doxie, and now bloomer all sitting on the couch. and if bloomer has her way about it, she'll be next too me.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.