Welcome Home Danger

Guest GrayceNDanger

Guest GrayceNDanger

Hello! I'm a newbie to the forums-my boyfriend told me about this forum as I think he has been a lurker :). We adopted our first greyhound and brought him home Monday night from the National Greyhound Adoption Program in Philly. His name is Danger (racing name was AMF Darkstranger) and he will be 4 years old in March. We also have a 4.5 year old female weimaraner.

So far I think things are going very well. He is def still adjusting to life in a home environment but he seems to be getting more and more comfortable each day. We have a crate up for him in and he found that crate and settled in it within the first 30 minutes of bringing him home. After about 2 hours he finally realized we had a dog bed for him and settled in on that...he has barely gotten up off that dog bed since! He also has no longer made any use of his crate. We still have it up and accessible for him but he seems to have made his dog bed his safe haven.

He has learned the stairs in and out of the house but has not really attempted the stairs to get upstairs. He sleeps downstairs at night on the dog bed. We initially had planned on crating him at night but hes done so well just sleeping on his bed on his own that we are ok with that.

Having a greyhound is so new to me and def a learning experience. I am a weimaraner fanatic and actually the Vice President of the Tri-State Weim Rescue and their placement coordinator. If anyone knows anything about weims they are extremely high energy, high strung and crazy dogs. They are def so very different from greyhounds..which is one of the reasons we chose a greyhound. We felt it would be a good balance..I couldnt handle 2 weims!! Ask me any question about weims and I could prob answer it but still learning with greyhounds.

Danger is such a good boy so far and we just cant wait until he is comfortable in our home. We have seen some brief moments where he shows excitement and we just cant wait to see how he does over the next few months as he adjusts.

Here are some pics of the pups:

Danger

IMG_0089-Version2-Version2.jpg

IMG_9713-Version2.jpg

IMG_9701.jpg

Danger was very interested in my beer haha

IMG_9722-Version2.jpg

Danger and Grayce when we first brought Danger home

IMG_9724-Version2.jpg

Grayce

IMG_0091-Version21.jpg

Grayce and I (she's winking)

IMG_8466.jpg

Guest GrayceNDanger

Hi Danger, I'm Danger, too :D Racing name, No Danger. No danger of winning rolleyes.gif

Hey Danger!! We had planned on renaming our greyhound but when they called us and said they had a dog for us and his name was Danger we loved it. Although today I was walking him at hte dog park a woman came up and said whats his name..I responded with "Danger" and she snapped her hand back and stepped back haha.

Guest ThunderPaws

Although today I was walking him at hte dog park a woman came up and said whats his name..I responded with "Danger" and she snapped her hand back and stepped back haha.

:lol:lol

Welcome home, handsome Danger! :colgate

Guest RobinAZ

Danger is a beautiful boy! I've had my GreyCee for 2.5 months now. She adjusted very fast, but she was only 1 yr. 10 months when we got her. She has made herself right at home. I'm sure you will just love having Danger around. These dogs are such characters :)

Guest Greytluv

Hey Danger!! We had planned on renaming our greyhound but when they called us and said they had a dog for us and his name was Danger we loved it. Although today I was walking him at hte dog park a woman came up and said whats his name..I responded with "Danger" and she snapped her hand back and stepped back haha.

I know :lol When we do meet and greets, I tell little kids his name is Mr. D :)

Welcome to the board and congratulations to you and Danger. I was a bit taken aback by his pictures as he really looks a lot like my boy, Carl! Very handsome, but I clearly am biased!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and welcome from Fishtown. Danger is very handsome. If you are in the area, check out the events forum, there are a couple of indoor playgroups in the area coming up. However, they are *greyhound only*

Both your pups are stunning.

Your photography is awesome!!

Again, welcome.

Pat

:welcome

Danger is very handsome and your Weim...SWOON! :wub:

Can't wait to see more pictures!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest IrskasMom

Danger is stunning and so is Grayce :wub::wub::wub: I love your Photos,they look like Professionel Grade. BTW WELCOME to GT. Soon you will be a regular on GT and obsessed with Grey's . :wave:wave:wave

Guest houndstooth4

Danger and Grayce are both gorgeous! Welcome!

The name stories made me laugh. Our first greyhound was named Treat. The day we took her home, a lot of things had happened and the short version is we had to stop and make an appearance at his brother's twelfth birthday party on our way home. We didn't know how she'd react to the kids or their cat, so to be safe, we slipped on the kennel muzzle they'd given us. She walked into the party with a muzzle that read "Killer" across the nose. It was a great first impression, and she was absolutely the opposite of the name. I always wondered where the dog who'd first had the muzzle had gone, though!

Welcome to GT! Danger and Grayce are both just gorgeous -- I think Weims are so beautiful. And they should be great running buddies, too -- nobody can keep up with greyhounds but the weimeraners I've seen come closer than most!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest GrayceNDanger

Thanks for the warm welcome. As of tonight Danger will have officially been with us for a week...until last night he basically didnt move from his dog bed except to get up and eat (usually coaxed), go outside (again with coaxing) and every once in awhile come over for a little bit of attention. We came home last night to a completely different dog! He was at the door to great us and super excited. Grabbed a bone and chewed on it a bit and than wondered around the house some, coming up for attention and laid on the other dog bed which until than hes seemed afraid of (its a bit bigger and fluffier than the other one).

Than this morning I was getting ready to go downstairs and there he was at the bottom of the stairs looking up and as soon as he saw me he came running UP THE STAIRS. He had not even attempted the stairs prior to that. My boyfriend and I went out this morning..set the dogs up on their prospective dog beds and when we came home just a few minutes ago I walked in and no Danger on his dog bed..or anywhere in site. I run upstairs and there he is..laid out on our bed! He had even moved the pillows out of his way so he could get comfy haha. Oh boy are we in trouble now!!

Guest GrayceNDanger

Welcome to GT from Massachusetts. Danger looks to be on the small side.

Is he? How much does he weigh?

Danger weighs @ 78lbs. Is that average? He seems so big compared to grayce.

Guest Greytluv

Welcome to GT from Massachusetts. Danger looks to be on the small side.

Is he? How much does he weigh?

Danger weighs @ 78lbs. Is that average? He seems so big compared to grayce.

I think that's big. My Danger weighs 64lbs. He's from England and they tend to run on the skinny side.

Guest giraffe

Oh my goodness, both of your dogs are stunning!

A neighbor had a weimaraner and I thought it was the most beautiful dog (at the time ;) ), and even though I don't speak with that neighbor (long story), I was sad when he got rid of him/went missing. I loved seeing his cute face through the fence.

Congrats on adding Danger and good luck with both doggies!

Hi there from Gainesville, Florida, and welcome to GT!! :wubsite

Danger and your weimaraner are just gorgeous!!

The photos are fabulous!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hi and welcome from VA! Gorgeous pups!

Can I make a suggestion? Since you're new to the world of greyhounds and I assume martingale collars, please consider moving Danger's tags off the D-ring of the collar. If the martingale is going to be his all-the-time collar, the addition of the tags increases the risk of strangulation. If he gets the D-ring or tags caught on something.. not good. They're better attached to another part of the martingale. :colgate

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Frankendog

Enjoyed reading this! How funny he came out of his shell like that! Your photos are beautiful. I am a photographer too, still hoping to get the ultimate running shot but just haven't had the right circumstances yet...