Vet Wrap 101

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

In the past when one of our pups would sustain an injury, our vet would use vet wrap to cover the wound (gauze against the wound and vet wrap over it). But, when removing it later, it would always stick to the skin and fur. Since greys have such delicate, thin skin, it was so difficult to remove it. I would almost always end up using oil of some kind to loosen the adhesive slowly and it would take forever.

What is the proper way to use and remove vet wrap when covering a wound? I appreciate any tips and tricks. Thanks! (Dore and Shelby thank you also!)

:) :) :)

Sure the vet isn't using Elastikon (VERY sticky tan athletic-type tape)? Vetwrap sticks only to itself.

For gauze, even with non-stick gauze you'll get some sticking to a draining wound. What I do is glop some antibiotic ointment or SSD onto the gauze; ointment side toward the wound. That helps keep it from sticking.

Anything you wrap with, you usually want bandage scissors to get it off -- they have a blunt tip to slide under the wrap. What I do is work my finger under the wrap first so I can be sure there's no skin stuck where I'm going to cut -- CRITICAL when you have a thin-skinned breed like greyhound or whippet; then slide the bandage scissors in along my finger and snip carefully.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Instead of a gauze pad use a Telfa pad. The pad has a coating and does not stick. Vet wrap shouldn't stick at all.

We have used Elastikon tape for a tail injury and the product was white, and we actually had very little trouble removing it. We kept snipping with a very sharp, tiny scissor.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest TexasGreytMom

I had assumed it was vet wrap, but it may have been the Elastikon - it was super sticky. Whatever they used stuck totally to the skin and hair. I guess I should ask them to only use vet wrap in the future because I sure don't want to go thru that again. I appreciate the info and will talk to the vet about it the next time we go in ... BEFORE they need it the next time around! :)

Yes, that was probably Elastikon. You can use adhesive remover to get it off. Detachol is my favorite, and I keep some in the house all the time:

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/04170a.html

You can buy it or a similar product at drugstores that sell medical supplies (like ostomy supplies, etc.). You could also ask your vet what they use. I just soak the tape with this and it zips right off - doesn't sting or burn.

I also do what Batmom suggests for gauze - I find that even the 'non-stick' gauze pads still stick to wounds, so I glop on some adhesive ointment right where the wound will be touching the gauze - it works great, and our vet does this too.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have never had a problem with vet wrap at all - it never sticks to the skin or fur, just to itself which is why it's great to use. Maybe your vet wasn't really using vet wrap but some sort of adhesive bandage.

Guest mcsheltie

Elastikon is beige and Vet Wrap comes in a rainbow of colors. Some bandages won't stay in place with Vet Wrap only. In that case they can bandage with VW and one wrap of Elastikon on top or sides of the bandage, which will attach it to the hair so it can't slide around.

If you have to use Elastikon, you can cut off a length, stick it to your shirt or pants leg, then put it on the dog. When you stick it to your shirt or pants leg, the Elastikon picks up just enough lint to be less ferociously sticky on your dog.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest mcsheltie

If you have to use Elastikon, you can cut off a length, stick it to your shirt or pants leg, then put it on the dog. When you stick it to your shirt or pants leg, the Elastikon picks up just enough lint to be less ferociously sticky on your dog.

That is a GREYT tip! Thanks!

Guest IrskasMom

What I have learned today from you all is Priceless , Thank you. I never had to do any of that with my Morty. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

BTW where do you get Vet Wrap ??? At your Vet or any Petstore?? Just in Case , I should have some at the House.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest EmilyandSioux

You can get Vet Wrap at any feed store or pet supply. It comes in a rainbow of colors and even has designs in it when you look at the equine section.

Guest VWBuggin1963

I also use vet wrap and have no problems with it sticking.

As for the under bandage, I use feminine mini pads. They work great

especially on the lower leg. Usually wrap all the way around without a problem.

Guest spider9174

vet wrap really shouldn't stick to skin. or at least, i've never had that problem and I've wrapped a lot of horses' and dogs's legs and tails.

Something you can do...put gauze over the wound, then secure it with surgical paper tape. Just enough to cover the gauze so it doesn't slip/fall off. Then I will wrap over that with vet wrap. When I take it off, I use bandage scissors to cut the vet wrap off--you can slide the scissors between the vet wrap and paper tape. Then I carefully unwrap the paper tape. The paper tape should pull away easily.

Be careful not to leave the bandage on so long it gets gummy, that will make it harder to get off.

ditto to going to a feed or equine supply store for the vet wrap. I also found it on amazon.com and kvvet.come for less than 1/2 what petco charges.

Edited by spider9174

Guest hlpnhounds

When wrapping bandages, I only use elasticon at the upper edge, making sure I get it to stick to a bit of hair in order to keep the bandage from slipping down.

Guest RICHandJUDE

Hi We use vet wrap all the time. I have never had it stick to the skin or hair.

It tends to stick to itself. FYI Because we use quite a bit of it on a Beagle who has front legs nerve damage, we go through quite a bit.

It can be expensive. Maybe $3.00 to $4.00 a roll at the drug store or pet store. I buy my vet wrap at Tractor Supply. We get double the amout for $1.99. We do have to cut it in half though because it comes double-wide. I think it is located in the horse section of the store. FYI.

Guest hlpnhounds

I forgot to add that as a safety precaution, you should always unwind several feet of the material and the loosely rewind it onto the spool BEFORE using it EACH TIME you use it. Vet wrap, if wrapped too tightly and left on too long, can really cause more prolems than it helps. Also, the vet wrap should roll off of itself---just the opposite of a roll of tape. Visualize placing a roll of tape upside down---sticky side up--and roll the vet wrap that way after it has been loosened. Unless it gets wet, you will likely never roll your bandage TOO tight doing it this way. :colgate

I use vet wrap all the time on myself, bad ankles. When wrapping a wound, I use a little antibiotic oinment, a gauze pad, and then the vet wrap. I've never had trouble removing it, although I often use bandage scissors.

By it at a pet store if at all possible--it's cheaper, and I've found the quality to be higher than the stuff meant for humans.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest spider9174

wanted to add...something that I learned from wrapping horses...for legs, always wrap from the inside out and across the bone--not across the tendon. You want the pressure against the bone, not creating pressure on the tendong.