Puncture/bite Wound

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

I'm sure this is a frequent topic, but I'm having trouble searching topics in the new site format.

My grey was just bit by my other dog- I think they were fighting for a toy. He has 2 tooth puncture wounds on his shoulder. He's a fairly meaty & furry grey-does not have the paper thin skin. The wounds seem to be about 8-10 mm deep- like a pencil eraser. There is blood but not gushing. I put antibiotic ointment in each wound. Is that enough? Do I need to shave the area; should I call the vet for antibiotics or will this heal safely on it's own?

Guest Energy11

Neck, trunk and body injuries:

As most of us already know, greyhounds’ skin is thin, and when cut, tears like a zipper! If your dogs get cut or bitten, and it is a weekend or night, ... YOU CAN treat this yourself, for the most part. (*If the wound is into the muscle, or the bone is showing, see the vet IMMEDIATELY.

If it the wound is superficial here is what you do: Hold pressure to stop the bleeding. Gently clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, or Hibiclens, and blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or triple-antibiotic ointment to the would. Cover with a large band aid, or non-stick dressing. You can cover this, depending on the size , with a maxi pad, and affix to the dog’s body with Kling (stretch bandage) or the Surgical tubing mentioned in the ear segment. This dressing needs to be changed twice daily, and you need to see your vet for a course of antibiotics and a follow-up. Deramaxx or Rimadyl can be given for pain. If you don’t have either of these, ONE 81 mg BUFFERED aspirin can be given daily, according to Dr. Beau Delaporte, D.V.M., but for only a short time, as this can cause stomach upset and ulcers.

(*From our first aid seminar at Mt. Hounds) Hope it helps. **I might ask the vet for some Keflex antibiotic, to be on the safe side. Good Luck.

If it's a deep puncture that goes into the muscle and not just a superficial skin wound, he should be seen by a vet for cleaning and inspection.

O would add to the above twice or three times daily put a warm compress over the wound for 5-10 minutes each. If there is ANY sign of infection - pus, excessive tenderness, bad smell, or the wound begins to tear open further - see the vet immediately. If it's a body wound and hard to bandage, just keep it as clean and dry as possible. Have him wear a T-shirt or jammies, just be aware that the wound will seep a bit until it starts to heal over.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd do a vet visit. If I have to ask, well that's my answer. I go.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest meakah

I'd just treat it at home if it were me but I have a great deal of wound experience. If you see any damage to tissue inside (not just the skin) then you probably should take him in and get some antibiotics. But if it is just a skin puncture, I would scrub the area good with Betadine (diluted with water of course) and then put some ointment AROUND the hole. Don't put it IN the hole because it needs to remain open so that it heals from the inside out. Otherwise, bacteria can get trapped in there which may cause an infection. I would clean/apply ointment once or twice a day depending on the oozing and just leave it be otherwise. I find punctures take quite a bit of time to heal depending on their size. Tyah had one about the size of a quarter a few weeks ago (from a bite...one her flank) and it took literally a full 3 weeks to close up. But it did...and never got infected. You know your dog best and your confidence in treating the wound...if you feel the dog should see a vet, then definitely take him in.

Neck, trunk and body injuries:

As most of us already know, greyhounds’ skin is thin, and when cut, tears like a zipper! If your dogs get cut or bitten, and it is a weekend or night, ... YOU CAN treat this yourself, for the most part. (*If the wound is into the muscle, or the bone is showing, see the vet IMMEDIATELY.

If it the wound is superficial here is what you do: Hold pressure to stop the bleeding. Gently clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, or Hibiclens, and blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or triple-antibiotic ointment to the would. Cover with a large band aid, or non-stick dressing. You can cover this, depending on the size , with a maxi pad, and affix to the dog’s body with Kling (stretch bandage) or the Surgical tubing mentioned in the ear segment. This dressing needs to be changed twice daily, and you need to see your vet for a course of antibiotics and a follow-up. Deramaxx or Rimadyl can be given for pain. If you don’t have either of these, ONE 81 mg BUFFERED aspirin can be given daily, according to Dr. Beau Delaporte, D.V.M., but for only a short time, as this can cause stomach upset and ulcers.

(*From our first aid seminar at Mt. Hounds) Hope it helps. **I might ask the vet for some Keflex antibiotic, to be on the safe side. Good Luck.

Awesome!

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

We always take puncture wounds of any depth to the vet. It's sometimes hard to tell the damage beneath the skin, that can't be seen from an outside look. It may need antibiotics, too.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to watch for swelling, redness, heat at the site, or any drainage ... all signs of infection.

I hope your grey heals quickly.