Dental Options For The Elderly Grey

Guest beepsandclicks

Guest beepsandclicks

Hello. I've just joined the forum because I need some advice. I've a 14 year old female greyhound who is experiencing some health difficulties.

Two years ago, during her last dental, she had difficulty coming out of the anesthesia. Our vet recommended stopping the teeth cleanings. Her teeth have always been a challenge, even with yearly dentals. During her last dental the vet removed a few teeth.

I starting upping the brushing regimen since I knew she would never have another professional cleaning, but her teeth have not stayed in very good condition. Sadly, she recently came down with a nasty kidney infection (I thought her arthritis had gotten very bad, because she was "slouching" in her rear legs, but it was her kidneys!). The vet (a new vet, since we've moved) said he thinks her bad teeth could be the culprit and suggested we keep her on antibiotics for the rest of her life. She is currently on Cipro now (total time will be 20 days) and already seems to feel much better.

Is anyone else out there with an older greyhound doing this, or does anyone have suggestions for another way to keep the excess bacteria out of the mouth (and kidneys)? I feel stuck, as I hate the idea of her being on antibiotics the rest of her life, yet I never want her to go through this kidney pain again.

I have a couple other questions, but I'll post them separately. Thanks!

Debra

Houston

Gertie, 14

Maxfield, 13

Guest mcsheltie

Welcome! Sorry it has to be under such difficult circumstances tho. But glad you are here.

Often they do what is called pulsing the antibiotic. It will be given for 5-7 days each month. It works extremely well.

We use Petzlife. It really works! You could add that to your brushing regimen. They have both a spray and a gel. If you do a quick spray in the morning and brush at night it would help too.

Does she still chew things? Could you give her a raw turkey neck or a raw marrow bone?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Energy11

The antibiotic WILL help the mouth infection. You can also try Petzlife gel and spray... goes a REALLY good job on plaque and dental issues. My former vet/employer, used to recommend a MONTHLY "zap" of antibiotics for greys too too old for dentals .. good luck!

Guest beepsandclicks

I'm taking my girl in to another vet today--she is meant to be well-versed in greyhounds...wish us luck! Gertie is not feeling well today at all, so I want to get her meds re-evaluated and get a second opinion about her arthritis/LS Stenosis.

Hopefully she is someone with whom we can begin a good working relationship with--to monitor her teeth, heart, etc.

Thanks for all the advice! This forum has already been very helpful.

Debra