What To Do On A Cold Winter Day To Entertain Your Hounds.

I noticed a few people mentioning they have hounds that are stir crazy and are looking for things to do with their hounds this winter.

While I was posting on someone else's thread about going to petsmart/ petco etc. for an outing, it dawned on me that hosting a meet and greet for your group is a wonderful thing to do with your hounds during the winter months.

It's a win win situation. You get out, your dog (s) get out, you promote GH adoption, your dogs get exposure and socialization & attention and you get $$ for your group. Your dogs will be competely knocked out when you get home!

This is totally a win win situation. Call the local pet store in your area. Ask a friend to go with you and get the info packets from your group. Your group will help you get situated but if you have any questions on what to bring to a M&G- ask on GT.

Good luck and stay warm!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest RocketDog

Greyt idea! Just remember to be polite and persistent with the store staff, and make sure to get in touch with your group when you do get a lead in at the store. Most groups have 'canned' responses to certain questions and if you are acting as a group representative it's best if you stick to their responses, as some questions can lead in to heated discussions that don't do anything to plant the seeds for future adoptions.

Guest GreytfulJack

We go for a ride. I warm up the car and we just go driving for about a half an hour. I might go to DDonuts and get a tea at the drive-thru or sit at the top of this beautiful hill where the view is lovely...just to be in the car is a treat. The small things are nice, aren't they? :)

Edited by GreytfulJack

Guest NewGreyOwner

We also go for car rides around town just to get our. Or we take the hound to run errands. The folks at the drive -up window at the bank recognize him and send a cookie out for him. Sometimes we stop at the PetSmart and do some window-shopping in the kitty/birdie section.... : )

I can't leave the house without Chance freaking out and wanting to come. He gets sooo happy and makes me feel bad if I dont bring him EVERYWHERE! lol.gif He's VERY outgoing and loves all dogs...I'd love to bring him to a meet and greet, but I am not part of a "group". I always get sooo many compliments of what an outgoing Grey he is (unusual maybe?!) and of course on his biggggg his haunches are eek.gif !

Sooo...what about someone like me interested in getting the word out about how awesome Greys are (toooo many ppl are clueless!) but no idea how to go about it?

ghface.gif

I can't leave the house without Chance freaking out and wanting to come. He gets sooo happy and makes me feel bad if I dont bring him EVERYWHERE! lol.gif He's VERY outgoing and loves all dogs...I'd love to bring him to a meet and greet, but I am not part of a "group". I always get sooo many compliments of what an outgoing Grey he is (unusual maybe?!) and of course on his biggggg his haunches are eek.gif !

Sooo...what about someone like me interested in getting the word out about how awesome Greys are (toooo many ppl are clueless!) but no idea how to go about it?

ghface.gif

You got your dog from GAA? YOu could ask Lisa for a banner so that you can do meet and greets. Call the local pet stores and ask if you could (a 501c3 Greyhound Adoption Group) come and do M&g to educate the public about the plight of the greyhound. I would fax the papers to the store. If it's a petco or petsmart we are already in their system. I could get you the paperwork that you would hand out.

It's easy. Aim for 12-3 or 1-4 or whatever works for you. Bring water, a blanket and some treats for your pup. Ask the store if they could provide the table and chair. Bring a donation jar- you can make one and that's really it! A few people, a couple of greys... you are all set!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The Petsmart meet n greet idea is a good one. I've been to a number of them. If you decide to organize one, ask Petsmart to let you set up in the front, rather than the back, of the store. Big difference in exposure!

Our Petsmart store sets us up right smack in the middle of the store, which is also good for exposure.

BTW, since the topic is entertaining your hound, I've discovered something my Capri loves: dog puzzles! She can't play them unsupervised, but that's okay, it's a game between us. I found Nina Ottoson makes the best dog puzzles. They have skill levels, like moving sliding covers to reveal a treat (simple) to drawers the dog needs to unlock and open (advanced). They come in either wood or plastic, and I prefer the plastic ones so I can toss them into the dishwasher for occasional sanitizing. When I get out Capri's puzzle, she goes bananas.

Hide and Seek is also a favorite indoor game, especially when DH and I play it with her together.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Heehoo

The Petsmart meet n greet idea is a good one.  I've been to a number of them.  If you decide to organize one, ask Petsmart to let you set up in the front, rather than the back, of the store.  Big difference in exposure!

I agree. I help with a meet/greet at Petco. They were putting us way in the back, next to the toys! With Admiral & Captain the toys were being played with, then put back. Now they've got us at the front. The one we go to is sooooo friendly & helpful. We're right at the front door too. We put signs out in their parking lot which helps. By the end of the period, the pups are worn out & so are we. Another thing that helps, get someone to make you a donation jacket. Its made like the racing jacket, but where the number was is a plastic see-thru pocket for dollars. Put one on both sides, puppies get petted while money is going in.