Cabin Fever -Need Some Toy/play Ideas

Guest tbrodzel

Guest tbrodzel

I was hopping to get some ideas on how to keep my grey happy, active and entertained in the Winter.

We have had a pretty cold and snowy winter so far, so I don't get to take Brynna to the dog park as often as I would like. She does get a walk around the neighborhood but I know how much she likes to see other dogs and run free at the dog park.

Does anyone have any stimulating activities I can do with her indoors? How about some fun, stimulating toys to keep her busy? What do you do to keep your dog happy and active?

Also, she has been chewing more lately, but not the things I have gotten her to chew. Shew chewed this foam ball to pieces and then stole this plastic light up ball of my Mom's. I have tried some rawhide or cornstarch bones and she LOVES to eat them. She doesn't chew so much as try to break it into manageable pieces and then swallows them. I worry that this is dangerous for her so I have stopped giving these to her. Any safe suggestions for a dog that wants to chew?

Thanks!

I would dress warm warm warm and go on a long long walkie maybe with some other greyhounds that you can arrange a get together with. A long walk will tire you both out!

Also, I trop to petsmart for treats and toys or just to browse is always fun.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tbrodzel

I would dress warm warm warm and go on a long long walkie maybe with some other greyhounds that you can arrange a get together with. A long walk will tire you both out!

Also, I trop to petsmart for treats and toys or just to browse is always fun.

I am not trying to be difficult, but the nearest pet store is about 45 minutes away from us. Also, it's not so much the cold (I am hot all the time and enjoy the cooler weather) it is the falling down that freaks me out. I have already fallen once during a winter walk with Brynna. Just tonight we took a walk and I nearly fell about 6 times. It hurts when I jerk my body and almost fall and it scares Brynna. We have had strange weather so far this winter, we have rain, then snow, then it freezes. So the ice is below the snow and I can't see it and then all of a sudden I hit a slippery patch. What do other people in cold climates do for walking?

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Guest ThunderPaws

You can set up a home-made agility course in your garage or living room. A jump (broom stick), weaving trough items like buckets, tunnel (walking under a table), tire jump (hoola hoop ring) etc. Teach them tricks like sit, down, wave etc. for mental stimulation. My dogs are exhausted after a few minutes of fun training with lots of praise and treats.

I am going to start Diesel on Rally-O, it doesn't take much space to practice the basic commands.

Hope it helps! :)

Additional Rally-O links: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/ROR999.pdf

http://www.akc.org/events/rally/getting_started.cfm

Edited by ThunderPaws

I started a thread based on this thread. Check it out.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/246414-what-to-do-on-a-cold-winter-day-to-entertain-your-hounds/

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest NeverSayNever

Love the indoor agility suggestion. I would play around with the clicker. Teach her to touch a target and you could have her trotting up and down a hall way to touch a target for a treat in just a few sessions. You could teach her tricks like shake paws, pick up items, and play dead with the clicker. Stuffed Kongs, Buster Cubes, and Roll-a-Treats are great for making the most of meal times.

You can also get Kongs if she likes to chew, and stuff them with frozen treats, veggies, peanut butter - do a search because I know there are threads out there with Kong stuffing ideas.

Pick up a good obedience book - Patricia O'Connell is always good - and work on her manners and tricks.

Hide yummy things aroun the house and play hide and seek with her.

As for walks - get some Yak Tracks. You'll be able to walk on anything!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I sometimes play fetch with Spinner in a long hallway with a tennis ball. Tug of war with a rope toy is another option.

For less energetic dogs, an ideal activity for small spaces is simply training sessions: Use small treats to teach "down", "come", even "sit" or flashier tricks if you can get them to do it. It's mental activity, but it can tire them out almost as well as a physical activity session.

I'm a scaredy cat too when it comes to ice so I purchased some YakTrax, they are brilliant, I don't even think about slipping any more. :colgate

The dogs may still slip, though. There are few sights worse than a greyhound on ice--the legs just splay all over the place, dog does the splits, and worse! Icy snow can be very painful for them when their feet break through the crusty layer to walk even in their own backyard. But garden-variety snow is a thrill for many pups!

Guest tbrodzel

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love the idea of the yaktrax. And doing some indoor training. I think Brynna and I will have a fun winter.

Thanks again!! :rolleyes::colgate:lol:)