In Crate Separation Anxiety

Guest julestheteach

Guest julestheteach

My husband and I have adopted DK's Cold Turkey or Turkey for short. He has been in our home for one week. He is a great dog. He has a very calm tempermant. He is 2 years old. We are working on alone training with him because when we leave, he urinates and deficates in his crate. He buries it in his bedding. We take him out to relieve himself before we crate him. We also give him a frozen peanut butter kong to keep him occupied in his crate. We are concerned because greyhounds view their crate as their den or house/safety zone. We reward him for good behavior in his crate and we are continuing to work on alone training. Should we forego the crate and keep him in a gated room when we leave? We leave the radio and lights on for him too. Any advice is welcomed greatly.

Edited by julestheteach

Baby gating instead of crating is well worth a try. Some pups fuss in the crate but are fine out of it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not all dogs take kindly to crates, Carl hated his, pooped and peed in it and ripped the soldering apart. I agree try a baby gate or maybe muzzling without a baby gate. Carl does 100% better with only a muzzle.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I agree with the baby gating. How long are you leaving him alone?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest julestheteach

Yesterday was an exception due to Christmas EVE. I am on winter break until Jan. 4th I am a teacher ( 5th grade) I usually work 7am and I am home by 4. My husband was recently laid off and is home, but he is looking for work.

Guest LindsaySF

Is he your only dog? I ask because Greyhounds are used to crates in a kennel environment, meaning they have other dogs below/above and to the sides of them. Some Greyhounds, especially those with separation anxiety, can't handle being crated when they are the only dog, or away from the resident dogs.

I would try him out of the crate in a dog-proof room, use baby gates and a muzzle if needed. If he still urinates/defecates then you know it is truly a separation anxiety issue and not just a crate anxiety issue.

Good luck and congrats!

9 hours after only one week is a lot for him, IMHO. You did say your DHwas home due to unemployemnt now, though right?

So how much time has he had to be in the crate? Is there someone that can come in to let him out while you are away?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest killdawabbit

My husband and I have adopted DK's Cold Turkey or Turkey for short. He has been in our home for one week. He is a great dog. He has a very calm tempermant. He is 2 years old. We are working on alone training with him because when we leave, he urinates and deficates in his crate. He buries it in his bedding. We take him out to relieve himself before we crate him. We also give him a frozen peanut butter kong to keep him occupied in his crate. We are concerned because greyhounds view their crate as their den or house/safety zone. We reward him for good behavior in his crate and we are continuing to work on alone training. Should we forego the crate and keep him in a gated room when we leave? We leave the radio and lights on for him too. Any advice is welcomed greatly.

One of the things that worked for me was: I would put him in his crate and cover the crate with the blanket I slept in that night. My scent would be on it and would make him feel safe. Also never tell your dog goodbye it just creates anxiety

Guest julestheteach

Lots of good advice here. Let us know if he does better.

I have to work. We put him in his crate when we are eating and he is fine. There is someone who can come and let him out but someone mentioned that he would do better if he didn't see anyone. He does GREAT with us otherwise. My husband and I LOVE him. He is such a hugger and leans into you to be pet. I think we are going to try to baby gate and dog proof a room and keep him there. I wish I did not have to go back to work on January 4th but since my husband is not working presently, I need to bring home the income. We are in no means getting rid of him. He is our baby. My hubby and are are CONFIDENT that he will get through this.

There is someone who can come and let him out but someone mentioned that he would do better if he didn't see anyone.

Not sure why anyone would say that. RobinM is right, if he's having to hold it 9-10 hours, he probably can't. Once he gets used to your schedule, he might be able to, but not yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi, I remember seeing Turkey just before I adopted my 2nd GH. He is gorgeous! I think he is from the same group my new adoptee is from. Anyway there are some good suggestions here and you may need to try numerous things until something works. My 1st GH soiled #1 in his crate for 6 mos. I tried everything. He also crewed the bars broke his teeth, bent the bars and ripped up every bed and blanket I put in there. I was so frustrated, then one day it just stopped! I wasn't sure what I did because I was trying everything. He never destroyed things in the house or had house breaking issues only in the crate, he also hated child gates. Looking back I think my problem was that I wasn't consistent, I wasn't always puuting him in there based on how long I was going to be gone. Be patient, he is still new to this. Is he an only GH? My new guy is in the crate and the old one that hated the crate is out and guess what, now he goes in the crate on his own and lays down, something I'd never think he'd ever do! Hang in there.

Guest greysonly

My Jazz did the same thing. It was very frustrating coming home to him messing in his crate. He too would cover it up with his blanket but I still had to give him a bath every night because he would lay in it:(. I was told that they loved there crated so I was so confused. But as soon as I baby gated him he was 100% better. I think they have crate fear and Separation Anxiety. I still had to do exercises with him and act like I was leaving and then come back in. I would even drive around the block and then come back before I would actually leave. This made my boy know I was not leaving him and that I would be back. It does work. I thought Jazz would never stop crapping on himself but when I let him out of the crate it was a total change :colgate I hope this works for you too.