Sa Crating And Cats

Guest Shana

okay, so while I am still new around here I will just remind everyone that I currently do not own a grey and wont for a while, but am researching lots! And who better to ask then all of you loverly people!

I am really concerned about potential SA when I adopt as many greys have SA (and many dont so maybe I'll get lucky!)

The hypothetical issue is: I wont be able to fix a shredded house with potty stains everywhere, so I plan on crating my grey while at work. If my grey happens to have SA, will things be made WORSE because the cat has free roam of the house? I know greys like company, and I am worried that the dog will be more upset if he knows theres a cat to snuggle with, but cant (as I wont crate the crate the cat with the dog lol)

Do any of you have crated SA dogs and free roaming cats? How does the dog deal with this? Is it even something to worry about?

I just want to be prepared, because I really believe that dogs feed off and can feel human emotions. WHEN (sigh) I adopt a grey, I want the transition to be smooth and lowstress. TIA

Well, I'll reply!

You're jumping the gun a bit!

I suggeste that you get the Patricia McConnell booklet entitled, "I'll Be Home Soon" which gives a blueprint, so to speak, of how to prevent SA (since preventing it is easier than curing it)?

I wish I had read it before I got my hound! I ended up with the kind that HATED his crate. Howled like a wolf for hours on end in his crate!

Doing research is a great idea, but you won't know what you have until you get it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You're jumping the gun a bit!

Doing research is a great idea, but you won't know what you have until you get it!

Oh I know lol

I just like to hear stories. I know not all greys like crates, and not all greys have SA and not all this and that. And I might get really lucky and have a perfect dog :P

Any input is appreciated though because I do tend to over think things and like to be prepared as possible.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I suggest that you get the Patricia McConnell booklet entitled, "I'll Be Home Soon" which gives a blueprint, so to speak, of how to prevent SA (since preventing it is easier than curing it)

:nod

Great advice. And good idea to research about dog behavior. Certainly not all greyhounds have SA, but I suspect that armed with a good plan to prepare your dog for being alone, the transition for your new dog will be smoother than most!

Good luck!

I personally never had to crate any of my greyhounds for longer than 2 days.

Beau, my first was fine. I added Chloe who kept him company and etc. etc. I do seperate my boys from other but all in the same room. Testosterone issues even though they are neutered. They don't know they are! :lol

As far as "Cuddling" with cats. That will take a while and that is not something I would leave to chance when first adopting. You may be able to get a hound who can be babygated into a room where a cat can not get into. That is always my first choice.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Remember that what you read here is not the majority. The majority of what is typical behavior does not require this board. The comment about the hound yearning because the cat is free roaming is probably being a bit anthropomorphic. Each and every foster that I have come through my house is crated while I am away, and my two hounds are allowed to roam freely, and I have only had one that truly had SA. And to tell you the truth, it wasnt very bad. He just tore up one sheet, not much more.