Italy's A Little Gimpy

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

I mentioned in another thread that on Saturday, Italy appeared to have nicked/pierced her back-right paw pad on some hard snow or ice. It didn't appear to bother her but I walked in from work tonight and she was definitely favoring that paw. Could it just now be a little sore and bothering her? Anything I can do? I have neosporin, peroxide, tape, booties, etc. It's not bleeding and when I examine her foot and touch it, she doesn't shreak or anything but she does lift her head and look back like "Can you stop doing that please?" Any tips? We leave for Christmas tomorrow at 6 am so taking her somewhere tomorrow isn't an option, nor do I think it's warranted. I might just be overreacting and should just let her tough it out and she'll be fine in no time.

If you have any Epsom Salt and she lets you, I would soak it for awhile.

Hope she feels better

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SuperiorItaly

If you have any Epsom Salt and she lets you, I would soak it for awhile.

Hope she feels better

Thanks. I don't have any epsom salt, so I'd assume regular salt is a big no-no?

Guest Energy11

No, not regular salt. You CAN soak her foot in warm water. Keep using the Neosporin, booties, etc., and if you have any NSAIDS like Deramaxx or Rimadyl, you could give her a one a day for a few days, like I am doing for Curfew's dislocated toe. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest anything different. It seems like kids, and furkids, always "get sick" before a trip, etc. Good Luck!

I wouldn't use regular salt but I would pick it up tomorrow and do it when you can. You will be traveling with her so she wil be off her foot?

You should have a first aid bag put together and have with you on the road anyway! If you do a search on GT for first aid bag, I am sure you will find out what you should have. Also, there is a group that sells the bag with all the goodies. I think it's GEM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SuperiorItaly

I wouldn't use regular salt but I would pick it up tomorrow and do it when you can. You will be traveling with her so she wil be off her foot?

You should have a first aid bag put together and have with you on the road anyway! If you do a search on GT for first aid bag, I am sure you will find out what you should have. Also, there is a group that sells the bag with all the goodies. I think it's GEM

Thanks, everyone. I should have all of first aid stuff from when I adopted her. She'll be in the backseat for most of tomorrow, so maybe I'll ask my mom to pick some epsom salt up.

Guest SuperiorItaly

Just put some peroxide on it, then some neosporin, and then a little Nu Skin and put her booty on.

I'm kind of starting to stress that it could be early osteo as much as I hear that gets them, but she's only 5. I'm pretty sure it's just the little nick on her paw.

Guest KiKi_Girl

I bet her paw is just sore. Just let her rest for a while and not run around and she should be okay. Sometimes they can be so dramatic with the littlest things and so stoic for the truly big things. Have a great holiday and safe travels. I think you are getting out of Chicago just in time.

Guest 2greygirls

at the kennel , and at my house, we keep a spray bottle of Hydrogen peroxide for hard to reach boo boos. Keep an eye on it and watch for infection, and try to keep her from licking it like crazy, you could put neosporin too, but for scrapes and dings , I'd just keep it clean and spritz it with the peroxide.