Ate Cooked Chicken Bones !

Eek! Niña ate some cooked chicken bones- a leg and a wing - that DH did not put out of reach when he left the kitchen.

She does not like bread so I put some peanut butter on it and she ate most of a slice. Then I made her a grilled cheese sandwich and she ate most of that.

Is there anything else I could have given her to help protect her innards from the bones?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Hey Ducky! You've done all you really can. The peanut butter and grilled cheese were a very good idea. Most likely, she will be fine. You know to look for signs of discomfort, bloody stools, etc. As with anything sharp or caustic, we don't induce vomiting, as it could cut coming back up. Just keep an eye on her. Good Luck! They DO get into trouble, don't they!

Guest trevdog

That should work! Reiley got a cooked turkey neck and wing a few weeks ago, I could only get her to eat 1 piece of bread. About 24 hours later, the remnants were safely passed through her system. She seemed quite happy about her exploits too.

That should do it. Arrow ate an entire chicken breast shortly after coming home to us. Everything came out fine in the end.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lil_pip88

I'm glad I found this topic! I had no idea that bread could help when your dog gets at bones they're not supposed to! So how much bread are you supposed to give? Just one slice?

If you have any Metamucil, use some of that too. But the bread should help a lot! (Hasn't everyone's dogs gotten into cooked chicken bones at some point?)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Energy11

Mine haven't (gotten into uncooked chicken bones)YET :-(

RE: how much bread? When Curfew at the rolled up tube of CET toothpaste (metal), I gave two hotdog rolls. It all came out fine in the poop.

Guest KennelMom

Most likely she'll be fine...even w/o the bread. Their stomach is a pretty hostile/acidic environment and these are pretty big dogs. Just be on the lookout for the usual signs of distress. Two hot dog buns sounds about what we'd give in a similar situation...

Guest Energy11

Most likely she'll be fine...even w/o the bread. Their stomach is a pretty hostile/acidic environment and these are pretty big dogs. Just be on the lookout for the usual signs of distress. Two hot dog buns sounds about what we'd give in a similar situation...

And, being a chow houndie, Curfew loved the hotdog rolls :-) Amazing what they eat!

Guest rachelee

Bistro finds cooked chicken bones on the street all the time. I never knew how much discarded chicken there is on the street until we brought him home. I usually manage to avoid it, but sometimes he sneaks something in.

Bread gives Bistro the big D, so I don't really want to do that... but he's been okay so far. I asked the vet about it and they said to just keep an eye on him (which I always do) and to not worry about it so much.

Hope Nina's doing okay.

(edited because I couldn't get the ˜ to work properly. Sorry.)

Edited by rachelee

Bistro finds cooked chicken bones on the street all the time. I never knew how much discarded chicken there is on the street until we brought him home. I usually manage to avoid it, but sometimes he sneaks something in.

Bread gives Bistro the big D, so I don't really want to do that... but he's been okay so far. I asked the vet about it and they said to just keep an eye on him (which I always do) and to not worry about it so much.

Hope Nina's doing okay.

(edited because I couldn't get the ˜ to work properly. Sorry.)

So far no barfing so I guess she's OK.

The trick to adding the ñ in her name is to type Ni, then hold the ALT key down while you enter the number 164. When you release the ALT the ñ will appear.

However this does not work with some laptops and definitely does not work by trying to type the N key and the squiggle key at the same time. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png