Celeste Has Coccidia

winnie

Celeste's fecal came back positive for coccidia. From what I gather, they get it by swallowing infected soil or substances containing dog feces. Celeste isn't a poop eater, but she does love to dig holes in our back yard. Plus, we haven't been cleaning as much as we should. We've been having so much rain/snow lately that our yard is a mud pit. Poor Celeste. Luckily, she hasn't shown any signs of being sick and is now on meds to clear up the coccidia.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

The vet put Celeste on Albon. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Celeste shows absolutely no clinical signs - no poop issues whatsoever. This just came up during her annual fecal test.

Guest Energy11

I actually "brought this home" to mine once, when I worked at the vet, and of course, after that, I BLEACHED my work shoes, and changed them, prior to coming home. Yes, it is pretty easy to cure with the proper meds. OUR yard is the exact same way! It is a mudd pit! Good Luck, but this, too, shall pass! :-)

Unbelievable what these Dogs can contract ! I never heard of that.Well ,I am just glad it can be fixed with Medicin and she is not visiably sick.

I never heard of it either... had to google it. I read that it's pretty common in puppies, but Celeste is 6.5 y/o. Oh well... at least she hasn't been having the Big D or acting sick.

Guest Energy11

Coccidia can be pretty common in dogs, especially dogs that are kenneled or boarded. As I mentioned previously, I brought it home to mine! Albon is THE cure for it, and works all the time, even though it is "nasty" looking :(

Hi my dog tested positive for coccidia early this year at annual stool check. Then I remembered seeing him eating bunny poop in my back yard. In our case, we needed to fix the lower part of our fence where rabbits were coming thru. Our vet prescribed Albon and he tested negative when re-tested :) anne

quote name='winnie' date='17 December 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1261087141' post='4350013']

Celeste's fecal came back positive for coccidia. From what I gather, they get it by swallowing infected soil or substances containing dog feces. Celeste isn't a poop eater, but she does love to dig holes in our back yard. Plus, we haven't been cleaning as much as we should. We've been having so much rain/snow lately that our yard is a mud pit. Poor Celeste. Luckily, she hasn't shown any signs of being sick and is now on meds to clear up the coccidia.

Hope she is feeling better soon!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Albon is THE cure for it, and works all the time, even though it is "nasty" looking :(

The Albon our vet gave us are plain white tablets... nothing nasty looking about them. Celeste eats them right up... the pill pockets help, of course. ;)