Dry Skin

Guest whimzical

I like the Cloudstar Buddy Spray (they also have buddy booboo which is great!)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest whimzical

I've used Vaseline Intensive Rescue, cut with water to make it really thin. Only used it a couple of times, but it works.

Does this make their hair greasy?

Guest whimzical

I've used Vaseline Intensive Rescue, cut with water to make it really thin. Only used it a couple of times, but it works.

Does this make their hair greasy?

Nope.

Thank you i will have to try that

I should specify- this is not Vaseline as in the waxy hydrocarbon that is useful for applying in large quantities to every single doorknob on the second floor of the men's dorm across the parking lot from the dorm I lived in in college.

This is the stuff that comes in a white pump bottle, looking nothing at all like a doorknob-related appliance.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Just a note about fish oil. Many times we're not using enough. Usually they need 8000mg a day.

And something I just went through with Wayne who never had a flake on him until last week. But it's not from dry skin. Vet told me yesterday he has Seborrea and we've started treating today.

I mention that because flakey skin doesn't always mean dry skin

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FullMetalFrank

I'd try increasing their fish oil if you're not giving them enough (we gave Chelsa 3000 mg a day, I think, when we were doing the capsules, and Frank 4500 mg. Now we use salmon oil and I am not sure of the exact dose, we use 2 to 3 pumps each on their kibblle.) Work up the dosage gradually; too much too soon can mean big "D".

I have also rubbed a little Aveeno oatmeal lotion (human stuff) into the dry skin areas on Frankie's rump with good results. If they have really dry skin, the hair can be dry too (Frank's was) and the lotion did not make him greasy at all, just soft.

We don't bathe them unless they need it (once or twice a year is all) but when we do, we use the Rio Vista oatmeal shampoo, it's really gentle.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

How long has he been getting the fish etc. oils? If he's new to you, keep in mind it can take a good 6 weeks for those oils to have an effect on the coat so don't give up too soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I use two type of products, one is Avoderm , which has avocado oil in it found at Petco, PetSmart, it is a spray and goes a long way, and I use pure Emu oil, again a little goes a long way. I am alos fussy about what type of shampoo, I think it makes a difference

I add ground flaxseed to Ringo's food when I make it. Try mixing in about 1/2 Table spoon, along with the fish oils and see if that helps. His skin is great and his coat is super shiny. I don't need to use any topical. Last time I bathed him though (twice a year whether he needs it or not :lol), I made a homemade conditioner for him. I ground up oatmeal (traditional, not instant)in the food processor and then added an egg, flax oil, canola oil, water and some mild high end human hair conditioner and slathered that all over him. Boy was his coat soft after that!

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

doc's blend hair of the dog has been a miraculous product for us. bee wiseman had such dry, red, itchy skin. adding that product to her food has eliminated the redness on her belly and stopped her scratching. Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest whimzical

How long has he been getting the fish etc. oils? If he's new to you, keep in mind it can take a good 6 weeks for those oils to have an effect on the coat so don't give up too soon.

Jonsey gets about 2000 mg per day, he came into our lives about 3 months ago. Thank you

Guest SoulsMom

I use HyLyt bath oil conditioning spray. Spray it on him before I put on his coat or jammies. Not only does it help with the dry skin, but it also controls the static when I remove his coat/jammies

My greyhound, Cookie, has dry skin. Wellness food seemed to help, and I also give her 3 fish caplets once a day (sometimes we skip doses, but most of the time not). I also use Vitamin E oil with the fish oil.

Her one litter mate has dry skin, and last I heard, he was doing good on the Wellness.

These are all good suggestions also- things I haven't tried that I'll have to consider in the future.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

doc's blend hair of the dog has been a miraculous product for us. bee wiseman had such dry, red, itchy skin. adding that product to her food has eliminated the redness on her belly and stopped her scratching.

LOVE this stuff! I usually double Naples' dosage in winter, but so far, I have not needed to. But this stuff is amazing!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.