Chocolate Toxicity Chart

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a National Geographic interactive chart for chocolate toxicity in dogs. By the weight of the dog, it tells you how much of various types of chocolate cause various toxic effects.

chocolate toxicity chart

Edited by tamborine

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

I would very much like to see the link but its not showing up. We had a pug that we took staight away to the vet after eating some dark chocolate. I swear those little pugs will eat anything to the point of overeating. He'd probably still eat chocolate even though it almost killed him. Still joking aside... it was a very scary suituation.

Guest brandi007

If your dog consumes chocolate please take it very seriously. My beloved Foxy Promised passed away after consuming some chocolate chips (unknown how much), I miss him very much :(

Thanks for the link...I'm passing this on to others

@brandi007... I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how lucky we were with Luke the pug and it could've easliy been a tragedy. Its a suituion I could never wish to repeate or have anyone else go through. Again... no words can express the loss of a beloved pet.

Guest Rogersmom

My childhood dog was Nipper, part spitz, part husky. One Easter, she ate five Easter baskets full of candy most of which was chocolate. She did not have any problems other than we were very mad at her. Has chocolate changed in the last 55 years? I do not remember hearng that we should not give our dog chocolate. Niper lived to be 21 years old hen we sent her to the bridge.

Cool chart - thanks for posting it! I sent on to all of my dog-loving friends.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Brandi007.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

When my male IG was a puppy he ate a bag of chocolate, I called the vet and they said to watch him...the only thing I noticed was 4 days of the nastiest D I had ever seen...maybe it was because he was so young, I have no idea. But he is 7 now and seems ok

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

my pups got into the GOOD chocolate (dark chocolate covered cocoa beans) that I thought had been put fully away ... in 45 min, the 2 of them ate nearly a 12 ounce bag. That was 3 times the lethal dose of chocolate for a greyhound ... Hydrogen peroxide got some of it out, and a vet trip (with more induced vomiting followed by activated charcoal and an overnight stay with an IV drip managed the rest). Along with an evet who enjoyed the sample bag of chocolates that I brought with me for diagnosing purposes.

Nothing worse than having the evet (who is only used for emergency services) recognize us -- or telling me to be happy that my hounds had been in there enough that they had a nice baseline of heartrate data to know how to effectively monitor them overnight. Sigh.

Edited by juliemac

Thanks for the link.

After an episode of counting down the "half life" hours (17.5, I believe it was) of chocolate toxicity last year with Greta, I 'm going to pass this along to our adopters.

PS Greta had NO ill effects after eating a whole sugar free chocolate bar, except now she's become a chocolate addict. You cannot just "put it away" it now has to be put away, high high up and hidden behind some very heavy things......