Greyhound (11 Yrs) Hasn't Eaten In A Few Days.

Guest darthsmozers

Guest darthsmozers

Hello,

New user here, but in need of opinions/experience in a hurry. Our greyhound hasn't eaten much in the last 4 or 5 days. First it began with not eating his vet-prescribed medicine (he has diahrrea issues a few weeks back that lasted for many weeks). He loves the food. We tried his old dry food that he's eaten for years, and he hardly touched it. We tried his favorite treats, which he gobbled down a couple but has lost interest in them too. Its now been about 2 days with not an ounce of food, but he does drink water (thanksfully!) He has no personality the last couple days, whereas even 2 weeks ago, even at 11 years old, he's been as spunky as a puppy (and its been that way for 11 years). Walking him outside, he now only goes a few houses down the street, but thats obviously likely due to no food.

Anyway, he went for a vet visit Friday, and we hope to lab results tomorrow. But, we're worried about him.

Sidenote: pulled a tick off him about 2 weeks ago. He had a bad bout with a tick about 4 years ago, but we haven't seen any of those symptoms this time.

If anyone has any experience with greyhounds displaying this type of sudden change in behavior, please post. Meanwhile, we await lab results from the vet (a very good vet who he's gone to since we adopted him in 2000).

Thank you!

Guest Energy11

Gosh, sorry to hear this! Could be anything from what you are describing.

Hopefully the bloodwork will show something, so you can get it treated and go from there. IT would be sooo many things.

Welcome to Greytalk! Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. As you said, it is good that your grey is still drinking. Please let us know what the lab results show and what the vet thinks.

Welcome to GT but sorry your boy isn't feeling so hot. Blood work results are first and foremost. If those are negative and/or inconclusive, you might want to include TBD testing as a possible next step. A couple of possibilities for good/accurate testing can be obtained through the following:

The Antech FastPanel info here: http://antechdiagnostics.com/clients/fastPanel/fastPanel.htm

IDEXX has an equivalent panel: http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/laborato...s/096913700.pdf

Good luck and I hope it's an easy fix.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

TBD = Tick Bourne Disease

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest darthsmozers

lymes test came back positive, but it would have anyway because he had it a few years back.

kidney levels are high. they were "on the high end of normal" last year, and elevated for a few years. (I read that kidney failure is common in greyhounds?)

for now, vet recommends the medicine for lymes like last time in case thats why he doesn't want to walk much (joints hurting?) to see if that can be ruled out. Going to try boiled chicken and a little rice tonight. Will buy a bottle of Ensure as a backup.

Still drinking water and urinating normally, although just as in humans that doesn't mean there isn't kidney failure beginning.

Also, age 11, and I understand their average is 10-13. Before last week sitll as lovey and bouncy as ever though...

Many prayers for your boy... and keep us posted.... hugs to you too.

and Welcome To GT!

My thoughts exactly!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest darthsmozers
What is the normal on the test. Are you in the States?

How much doxy? Did you do a urinalysis? What was the lyme titer?

Unsure... I'm trying to relay all of this for my parents, as I am married and out of their house. As I learn more I'll post. Thanks!

Guest darthsmozers

Thank you.

Lots of vomiting and accidents last night and today. Didn't touch the boiled chicken. Drinking a lot, sign of the kidney failure. Lyme meds to be picked up today but its looking less and less likely having to do with anything. Probably another vet trip this evening.

Guest darthsmozers
It could. TBDs can affect all the organs.

He/She needs fluids. Can they take to the vet and hook her up?

He's been drinking like crazy.

I don't know all the details because I'm relaying a lot of this from my parents. But there's been a lot of talk with the vet, and considerations of his age and the test results, and his worsening condition. So, please don't flame, as I'm not sure the general consensus around here, but it sounds as though he will be put to sleep. Again, I don't know all the details but I'm sure there is ample reason. Parents are very sad for him. (And mom having worked with dialysis all her life, she's able to understand the tests and the symptoms). Looks like his body is just deteriorating very quickly. I'm sure they'll make the best decision. I want to thank everyone for their opinions and thoughts.

Could it be "Acute Renal Failure"? Can still be fixed. Had a perfectly healthy dog one minute and within 7 hours was in ARF. That was in February and she's the picture of health today. Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead