Torn Tendon

Guest ccoggins13

Guest ccoggins13

We adopted a 4 year old grey who had had a surgery to attach a torn tendon in left front leg. All was ok until few weeks ago when tendon tore again. Surgery to re-attach was successful for only 3 weeks. Tendon tore again yesterday. Anyone have any experience with this?

Normally tendon injuries do heal extremely slowly. After the healing of the tendon, the hound has to start bit by bit

the normal walking in order to reinforce the recently healed tendon. If that is done properly the tendon will be

strong enough to resist normal exercise. A tendon injury requires at least 1 month of immobilisation and after

that time another 3 weeks with a bandage and limited walking. I wonder if in the case of your hound the healing

periods were respected properly...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest multigrey

I am a bit confused......how many surgeries has this dog had? What were your discharge instructions? Did the dog just have a wrap on the leg...a splint....a fixator? Was the surgery done by a board certified orthopedist, a vet who does this sort of surgery every day or a vet who seldom does this?

Most dogs who have ortho surgery need to go home with a serious set of instructions for amount of exercise, crate rest, medication and bandage changes. If this was not the case for your poor dog, he may need a visit to a different surgeon. Tendon and ligament surgeries are sometimes more difficult to deal with than the normal fracture rrepair surgery.

If you can get a few more detials, we can probably help you decide what needs to be done. Your greyhound deserves the chance to have a leg that works well.

My boy Rascal had Achilles Tendons rupture in both back legs,,,, at the same time. They were reattached, he had PINS in each leg/foot holding the foot in extension, keeping the tendon as soft as possible and he endured 6 weeks of FULL LEG CASTs. bandage changes every 3rd day. when the pins came out (another surgery) instructions: slow, minimal walks, NO stairs for many months,, rehab after in a water tank/tread mill, and lots of acupuncture and chiropractic. He had one foot that healed too tightly, and we had to actually cut the tendons under the toes to release the foot from it's tightness.

He now trots around the back yard and will do about 1/2 mile walks. He really doesn't run, I won't let him. He does wear booties on both back feet when he goes for any walk, it seems to help him, we use Neo-Paws.

Rascal is now 12yrs old, happy and healthy! 3 years after the accident, i no longer feel like he is a fragile boy.

Good luck with your greyhound! It was a struggle, but well worth it to see him enjoy life now!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest ccoggins13
Normally tendon injuries do heal extremely slowly. After the healing of the tendon, the hound has to start bit by bit

the normal walking in order to reinforce the recently healed tendon. If that is done properly the tendon will be

strong enough to resist normal exercise. A tendon injury requires at least 1 month of immobilisation and after

that time another 3 weeks with a bandage and limited walking. I wonder if in the case of your hound the healing

periods were respected properly...

When grey came to live with us, he was completely healed from first surgery. Only instructions that we were given was to make sure he didn't jump down off of beds, couches etc. which we respected. He has been with us for 4 years without incident. Only time he jumps down is out of car and that is very seldom.

After recent surgery, leg was completely immobilized. He went outside on leash only when necessary, gets up to eat and is in crate when we cannot supervise. He has very little activity. Don't really know how it could have torn again.

Guest ccoggins13
I am a bit confused......how many surgeries has this dog had? What were your discharge instructions? Did the dog just have a wrap on the leg...a splint....a fixator? Was the surgery done by a board certified orthopedist, a vet who does this sort of surgery every day or a vet who seldom does this?

Most dogs who have ortho surgery need to go home with a serious set of instructions for amount of exercise, crate rest, medication and bandage changes. If this was not the case for your poor dog, he may need a visit to a different surgeon. Tendon and ligament surgeries are sometimes more difficult to deal with than the normal fracture rrepair surgery.

If you can get a few more detials, we can probably help you decide what needs to be done. Your greyhound deserves the chance to have a leg that works well.

Obviously something has gone wrong. After the immobilisiation period it's necessary to rehab the hound and accustom him bit by bit to regular walking and exercise. If this isn't done properly, the tendon cannot recover strength, so too much

inactivity after the immobilisation time can be bad too...the hound has to recover the use of the tendon...poor hound,

he must have a hard time. Best wishes for recovery!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest ccoggins13

He has had 2 surgeries. Original surgery was with prior owner. He has been with us for 4 years without problem until recently.

Second surgery was done by our vet since pin was already in placefrom first surgery. While he does not do this every day, he had done it before. Leg was wrapped and immobilised. He was leash walked only as necessary for potty breaks. He had 2 antibiotics to prevent infection. Went back for bandage changes every 5 days. We have an appointment with orthopedist on Monday for evaluation.

Guest ccoggins13
What was he doing when the tendon tore again yesterday?

He went in for simple bandage change and vet found tendon torn again. You must think i am a terrible mom but i have no idea how he could have done this.

hope the ortho can provide better insight. just hope we have option to repair.

Guest multigrey

It's possible that the original surgery wasn't exactly what was called for.....each injury is a bit different and he may have needed a plate and screws instead of pins. Sometimes pins just don't hold well enough.

The ortho vet on Monday should be able to answer all your questions and help you decide what's best for your dog.

Wishing you lots of luck and good stuff t come for all of you.

And....please.....you are not a bad mom. You did just what you were told to do and no one could possibly expect more than that.

Waiting to hear good things on Monday!!!

What was he doing when the tendon tore again yesterday?

He went in for simple bandage change and vet found tendon torn again. You must think i am a terrible mom but i have no idea how he could have done this.

hope the ortho can provide better insight. just hope we have option to repair.

Oh my gosh, that's not at all what I am implying! I'm sorry if you got that impression. I was wondering if maybe he got spooked and jumped in a weird way, or got his leg stuck in the couch or something like that. I hope the orhto has some answers for you. I know how frustrating it can be. DBF's lab tore his ACL in June and had surgery to repair it. He's recently started limping again so now Bama has to go in twice a week for underwater treadmill physical therapy. Not fun at all to have an injured dog.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)