Toe Amputation On Monday-update-couldn't Do Surgery

Guest DebSzal

Guest DebSzal

We took Gracie to the vet last Thursday for what we hoped was just an infected toe. But after a week of antibiotics it is apparent that she sustained some injury to her toe and now it is digging into the toe next to it. Amputation is the only remedy. Since she will be need to be asleep we will have them do a dental and x-ray the shoulder again to compare with the previous set taken since she still limps on that side every now and then. I know she will do fine, but can't help being anxious. I plan to spend the weekend keeping her as comfortable as possible and gearing myself up for the operation and recovery time. Please keep good thoughts for a successful surgery and quick recovery. Gracie will probably be fine, but I will be a wreck!!

UPDATE: Gracie did not have her surgery today. The blood work showed a low platelet count and the vet found some evidence of bruising on her belly that was not there before. So now we wait for the blood results. He did do an xray of the toe and it now appears to be a tumor in the cartilage (sorry, I know that is not spelt right). Just when I thought all I had to worry about was the amputation......

Edited by DebSzal

Guest MnMDogs

We just went through this yesterday with Mork. He had the toe amp, dental and a mass removal. He's an interesting case since he has bad corns on both front feet and the toe that was taken from the back had a very very bad corn that we couldn't treat. He had a rough night and day with some GSODs but I know he'll be fine and better off, as will your Gracie. It's so nerve-wracking though. We'll be thinking of you.

Sam had first knuckle amputated from inner toe on right hind foot end of June. he came home with a morphine patch on for a few days and never seemed uncomfortable. the biggest problem we had as he healed was licking (he is a big licker!) and we could watch him during the day and at night ended up putting a therapaw on that foot loosely. He is fine now, runs, prances, etc and I am so glad we had it done.

Good thoughts for you and Gracie!

Managed with the proper pain protocol Gracie should be fine. She will feel so much better after her recovery. I watched 2 racers this summer recover so quickly from toe amps, it was amazing.

:goodluck Gracie

(my Wink says running with 15 toes is NO PROBLEM! :) )

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Frisby had a toe removed about three years ago and recovered really quickly with little or no pain. The only problem now is that the next toe is swollen and has arthritis due to the extra strain put on it.

Dude had a toe amp too - recovery from the surgery was two weeks (plus some additional for complications that didn't have anything to do with the surgery). He doesn't even know he's had it done. Gracie will be fine and much more comfortable. She might have been limping because of the toe all along.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest DebSzal

Thanks for the good thoughts. Gracie actually will have only 13 toes since she had one removed last year. She tore it almost off at a dog park (her right front paw) and it was easier to have it amputated than to try to stitch and watch. She does wear a therapaw on it when we go for walks, otherwise it doesn't bother her. Do you think I can use the same therapaw on her back leg during her recovery if needed?

Guest MnMDogs
Thanks for the good thoughts. Gracie actually will have only 13 toes since she had one removed last year. She tore it almost off at a dog park (her right front paw) and it was easier to have it amputated than to try to stitch and watch. She does wear a therapaw on it when we go for walks, otherwise it doesn't bother her. Do you think I can use the same therapaw on her back leg during her recovery if needed?

Mork is now down to 14 toes, 3 of which still have bad corns (hulled, but they'll be back!). The wrap that he has is too large to fit a therapaw around it; although he doesn't want to put any weight on it right now, and only gets up to go out and to eat.