Pee Pads Or Something Like Them?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

I know I asked this question before when Jenny first became incontinent (back in May), but I couldn't find it when I searched.

...Someone is peeing on the couch. :unsure We've gone from *never* in 8+ years, to twice in the last 3 weeks. We're right in the middle of their annual exams, so if it's something medical, we'll find it... but in the meantime, I want something for the couch cushions. Ideally, I'd like something to go on top of the cushions but under the slipcovers and blankets. (I sew, so I can fiddle with the size/fit/whatever.) I could use the same plastic-backed pee pads we used when housebreaking (well, not the *same* ones. New ones. :lol), but I thought when I asked this before, you guys were all in agreement about something used in nursing homes...? Of course, I can't remember what you said!

Help me out?

Thanks!!!

Guest greytpets

My Jester boy gets occasional incontinence and likes to sleep on the bed but our little washer cant fit my bed cover so it was getting not only very expensive but annoying dragging it down to the laundromat or dry cleaners. My mum (being the clever sewer i am not) made up some blankets with plastic shower curtains sewed on the back which work a treat for both the bed and couch, and they fit easily in the washer :)

When Gracie had a stroke this summer, we found the need for something bigger than the traditional pee pads you can find in the stores. I ended up purchasing 4 pads that are 34" by 52" from JRS Medical Supply. This way it covered most of her bed. I'd think two of those might cover a couch, as well. I believe I received them 2 days after I ordered them online.

They launder very easily and absorb quite well. Now that Gracie is better, we have one in the back of each vehicle to help with the inevitable muddy pawprints.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest KennelMom

We have a waterproof mattress cover on our bed...we had a dog pee on the bed once, years ago and ever since then I've used the mattress cover. If you wanted something re-usable you could go that route and maybe rig it up to fit your sofa.

When Gracie had a stroke this summer, we found the need for something bigger than the traditional pee pads you can find in the stores. I ended up purchasing 4 pads that are 34" by 52" from JRS Medical Supply. This way it covered most of her bed. I'd think two of those might cover a couch, as well. I believe I received them 2 days after I ordered them online.

They launder very easily and absorb quite well. Now that Gracie is better, we have one in the back of each vehicle to help with the inevitable muddy pawprints.

Ooohhh...those are a very good idea.

When Gracie had a stroke this summer, we found the need for something bigger than the traditional pee pads you can find in the stores. I ended up purchasing 4 pads that are 34" by 52" from JRS Medical Supply.

I have some that look like that. Another option is a cover for a baby mattress, flannel on the top/plastic on the bottom, and flannel wings that can be tucked under the cushions. That's what I have on the couch.

Batmom had another source. I'll ask her to stop by and post the link.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

wazoodle.com has barrier fabric for diapers that might work better than rubberized mattress pad.

You can also get human incontinence pads at most any drugstore.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lots of greyt ideas here. My Indy took a liking to peeing in the corner of the living room a few years ago. Doesn't happen often, but when it does ...

Anyway, I spread out an old flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth on the carpet and cover with disposable pee pads that I purchase from a (human) medical supply store. Works out well.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest sja5032

I second the waterproof mattress cover, they are like $90 I think but they are guaranteed for 10 years.

double post

Edited by sja5032

Another option is a cover for a baby mattress, flannel on the top/plastic on the bottom, and flannel wings that can be tucked under the cushions. That's what I have on the couch.

The baby mattress cover is a good idea, but I don't think it is made to absorb as much liquid as the adult human pads do. If the issue is only a little leaking, I think a baby mattress cover would be fine. If it is all out peeing, I don't think it would absorb enough or quickly enough that it might run off.

Here's another link for used, washable pads. I probably would have ordered these for Gracie, but they were gone on vacation at the time and I needed them ASAP. These are VERY inexpensive, but they may have some wear or staining. To me, that wasn't in issue. I just needed something to absorb urine.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg